• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

Stand up floorless on Huracan Condor is one of the best drop rides in Europe. Sit down is fine, but no more than most standard 200'+ towers really.

The thing is - Thrill Towers are also oddly managed. The difference here though is both towers are rubbish.

Maybe it's just PA's way of doing things. I can't say I've seen it anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I only rode Apocalypse because it let me pick my riding style. I wasn't brave enough to ride stand-up the first time. If I didn't have the choice I'd have probably simply not ridden.

You keep cherry picking this example from Ian's post because it fits your narrative but this was not the overall point Ian was making. Yes 1 very specific ride had a split queue that didn't work because 1 side is significantly superior to the other. But as Ian also points out the removal of this causes arguments between staff and guests, so it could be argued they should have kept both queues.
Personally I was glad to have 2 queues when I went because it let me experience both without leaving it to luck. This was not the case with Talocan, where I ended up with the less impressive backside both times. However in that rides case they just need to make the both sides an equal experience rather than giving the guest a choice.
Loads of people say Hurakan Condor has got less force than Apocalypse despite it's height. Apparently it's the same with AtmosFear as well.

As I said, I understand why people would prefer two queues, but at the end of the day it has one, and if you're going to be painstakingly heartbroken and have to have an argument with the ride host then maybe it's not the ride for you.

I don't know but I just enjoy a ride for what it is and if I don't then I don't ride it in the first place.

Your whole argument seems to be “if you don’t like it, don’t ride”

You keep using the argument of “well don’t ride then” Is this really what you’d class as a good level of customer service? If this is the attitude that we should be expected to put up with then you really aren’t making a good case for PA here.

If people want to experience a specific section, why should they be told “well just don’t ride then” purely because they want to ride a different section of the tower? It’s not exactly an unreasonable request. They should be looking at trying, in every way possible, to satisfy their paying customers- the people who keep them in business.

I have politely requested the stand up section in the past only to be told no. I’ve never stood there and argued with the staff but I’ve seen other people do it, so it clearly does matter to some people. So why are the park doing nothing to satisfy their guests’ expectations?

Its the sad reality of working as a ride hosts that guests feel the need to argue with you all the time. The less they have to argue about the smoother things run for everyone. I used to have nightmares after working as a host on a water chute because there were some quite strict safety rules I had to follow. About 1 in every 5 guests took issue with them. Repeating the same argument on loop for days at a time was soul destroying.
Loads of people say Hurakan Condor has got less force than Apocalypse despite it's height. Apparently it's the same with AtmosFear as well.
That's interesting to know. I'd heard that about AtmosFear but I assumed that was a result of the conversion. As it happens I actually rode that back when it was just an observation tower.

Your whole argument seems to be “if you don’t like it, don’t ride”

You keep using the argument of “well don’t ride then” Is this really what you’d class as a good level of customer service? If this is the attitude that we should be expected to put up with then you really aren’t making a good case for PA here.

If people want to experience a specific section, why should they be told “well just don’t ride then” purely because they want to ride a different section of the tower? It’s not exactly an unreasonable request. They should be looking at trying, in every way possible, to satisfy their paying customers- the people who keep them in business.

I have politely requested the stand up section in the past only to be told no. I’ve never stood there and argued with the staff but I’ve seen other people do it, so it clearly does matter to some people. So why are the park doing nothing to satisfy their guests’ expectations?
Yes that is my argument. As I have said (many times) I get the points you're making, and fully understand them, but Hurakan Condor is 15 years old this year and I would have thought if they hadn't changed it by now then they won't. Maybe they will in the future who knows?

My argument is as you said because, if you're getting that worked up about as some people on here are, then maybe you should just not ride.

Yes, PortAventura aren't the best at guest service, as much as I like the place I will openly say it's very hit and miss and they're not really the type of company to trial new things as say Europa Park would.

If they had signs saying this has has sit down and stand up towers and then they didn't let you choose, fair enough I get your point even more. But the fact it's not promoted anywhere and (you'll probably disagree) that I think most people are oblivious to the fact, I don't think it's that much of a big deal.

Would two queues be better for some people? Yes, does it matter it has one queue? No.

Last edited:
It doesnt seem to matter to you.
It seems to matter with lots of other people though.
You seem to be in a minority of one, and keep going on about it.
No it doesn't matter to me, but I said I understand other people's opinions.

I was happy to stop three pages back but that's the problem with this forum, no one can accept other people have a different opinion to themselves.

I was happy to stop three pages back but that's the problem with this forum, no one can accept other people have a different opinion to themselves.

I think it's more a case of that you haven't made your side of the argument. You haven't provided any evidence that the current system is satisfactory.

You've just repeated over and over that it doesn't matter.

As others have pointed out, it does matter to them. Who are you to tell them that what they think is unimportant.

Bit fanboyish to stand your ground so aggressively, it must be said.

Right, firstly you didn’t state it as an opinion. Your initial comment was that the queue would move slower if it was split. You presented that as fact, not as an opinion. People of course challenged you on that, because it is obvious that 100 people in one queue does not move any quicker than 50 in one and 50 in the other.

In terms of opinions, you stated that you didn’t mind not having a choice then made the sweeping statement that park guests don’t mind either. You have no way of backing that up and therefore, again, people disagreed. You have no idea what every guest wants when they queue for HC and to say that the majority don’t mind is massively jumping to conclusions and you have nothing to back up this statement. If you didn’t want people to questions you, why make such a bold statement?

Your logic throughout this has been “if you don’t like it, don’t ride”. Of course people are entitled to a difference of opinion but you seem to be telling people to either accept it and shut up about it or stay away from the ride. People aren’t just going to “accept” this opinion without questioning it if they believe your justification to be inaccurate. The paying public who join the queue are also, in many cases, not going to know that they don’t have a choice of seats so the argument of “if you don’t like it, don’t join the queue” doesn’t really stack up here either.

Last edited:
All I would say is that for 15 years it has operated without a choice of where you sit. I think they would have made changes by now if feedback justified it, however they haven't so...

In all honestly I never knew there were different seating arrangements until I read it online. All of the marketing material for HC shows the sit down option and I've never seen it advertised as a multi-experience ride. However I bet that's intentional otherwise you do truly open up a can of worms with guests pre-selecting what they would prefer to experience. Personally I would prefer an option if I did ride it, however I would imagine most non-enthusiast guests aren't bothered where they end up, and when they do end up on the experience they didn't queue for, I bet they still leave the ride happy regardless as they still enjoyed it.

Oh and I hate drop towers, but that's my two pennies' worth.

PortAventura World re-opens on July 8th

PortAventura have announced today that the resort will re-open on Wednesday 8th July with strict Covid-19 restrictions, all areas of the resort are set to re-open barr Caribe Aquatic Park which will remain closed until 2021, information on restrictions can be found below:

What's Open?
Open now:
  • PortAventura Lumine Golf
  • PortAventura Lumine Beach Club
From 8th July:
  • PortAventura Park (10:00am - 10:00pm)
  • Ferrari Land Park (11:00am - 4:00pm)
  • Hotel PortAventura
  • Hotel Mansion de Lucy
  • Hotel Colorado Creek
  • Hotel 'The Callaghan's'
  • Hotel Gold River
  • Hotel El Paso
  • Hotel Caribe
  • PortAventura Dream Village
Closed:
  • PortAventura Caribe Aquatic Park (Until 2021)
Safety Measures
Temperature Checks - Similar to Shanghai Disneyland, guests entering the Parks will be subject to thermal imaging screening to check their temperature, guests entering PortAventura Hotels or using hotel entrances will be tested using a laser thermometer. Guests who's temperature exceeds 37.5 degrees will not be allowed entry.

Safe Distancing - In Spain it is compulsory to maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres from other groups, this will be enforced throughout the resort.

Face Masks - The use of face masks covering the nose and mouth are mandatory in all areas of the resort accept when eating or drinking, there are exceptions for guests with medical needs or ability needs.

Hand Washing - Increased hand washing is advised and hand sanitising and washing stations are located throughout the resort.

Restrictions
Reduced Capacity - The parks will re-open with reduced capacities and some attractions may remain closed or altered for the foreseeable future. Certain areas of the parks may also have added limitations of visitor numbers.

Pre-booking essential - Only dated tickets will grant entry to the parks with the exception of PortAventura Hotel guests, PortAventura CLUB members and guests who have already purchased open dated tickets can pre-book a dated ticket.

Shows - All shows are cancelled for the Summer Season which ends mid September, it is yet unknown if the PortAventura will host Halloween and Christmas events this year or the Parks will just operate as normal until the end of the year. If these events do go ahead it would be likely to see shows return with special restrictions in place.

PortAventura CLUB
A bit of information for PortAventura CLUB (Annual Pass) members:
  • Passes have been extended for the amount of days the parks have been closed this year.
  • Due to restrictions on guest numbers, Club members are only admitted to visit the parks twice a month during July, August and September (with the exception of hotel stays). Because of this all passes will be extended for a further 3 months.
  • For passes including entry to Caribe Aquatic Park, 45€ has been added to your account which can be used against hotel stays, food and beverage and merchandise in the parks.
You can find out more information here https://www.portaventuraworld.com/en/general-hygiene-measures and on PortAventura's official fan sites.

Last edited:
PortAventura have released which select attractions and restaurants won't be available when PortAventura Park and Ferrari Land open on July 8th, surprisingly there are very few rides that will remain closed, most of them are either childrens rides or playareas and most restaurants affected are Self Service style. All shows are currently cancelled for the Summer Season:

PortAventura Park

Attractions
  • Port de la Drassana (Water Taxis)
  • Waitan Port (Water Taxis)
  • Kids & Cars (Driving School)
  • Laberinto de Blacksmith (Playarea)
  • El Arbol Magico (Playarea)
  • El Huerto Encantado (Playarea)
Restaurants
  • Vinosfera Tapes i Vins
  • Marco Polo
  • Sichuan
  • La Cantina
  • Jeremias Food
  • La Cocina de Epi
Ferrari Land
Attractions
  • Ferrari Land Gallery
  • Kids Podium (Playarea)
  • Pole Position Challenge (Personal Simulators)
  • Pit Stop Record (Pit Stop Challenge)
Restaurants
  • Stop & Go
  • Paddock
  • Finish Line

I just found a very interesting video from Expedition Theme Park on PortAventura’s early history as a theme park resort:

Definitely worth a watch, in my opinion; it explores the park’s early history in far more depth than I’ve ever seen anywhere else on the internet, and told me things I certainly never knew about PortAventura’s early history! One does have to wonder how the park would have turned out if Universal had held on to it...

Another particularly interesting thing I noted; at about 17:28 in the video, a brief snapshot is shown of theme park visitor numbers in Europe in 1995. Some of the figures I saw include:
  • Legoland Billund: 1,200,000
  • Liseberg: 2,200,000
  • Heide Park: 2,300,000
  • Europa Park: 2,500,000
  • Efteling: 2,600,000
  • PortAventura: 2,700,000 (in first full year of operation through to 30th April 1996)
  • Edenlandia: 2,800,000 (has anyone else heard of this park, because I certainly hadn’t before watching this video?)
  • Alton Towers: 3,000,000
  • Gardaland: 3,000,000
  • Tivoli Gardens: 3,800,000
  • Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 7,000,000
  • Disneyland Paris: 8,800,000
Certainly interesting to see how much certain parks’ attendance has changed in 25 years!

@siralgenon I have a couple of questions.

Do you know how breakfast will operate in the resort hotels this year? Will it be a buffet or table service?

Is the unlimited express pass for your entire stay available this season for hotel guests (I haven't been since 2014... is this still a thing?- cost like 60 euros).

Will hotel swimming pools be open, as the waterpark is closed?

What is the best way to get to the park from Barcelona airport, or are there any airports which are closer to the park and have easier transport access?

@siralgenon I have a couple of questions.

Do you know how breakfast will operate in the resort hotels this year? Will it be a buffet or table service?

Is the unlimited express pass for your entire stay available this season for hotel guests (I haven't been since 2014... is this still a thing?- cost like 60 euros).

Will hotel swimming pools be open, as the waterpark is closed?

What is the best way to get to the park from Barcelona airport, or are there any airports which are closer to the park and have easier transport access?

@TPJames that's a lot of questions. :tearsofjoy: I'll try and answer them the best I can.

• Yes PortAventura are still using their Express Pass service at the moment although Express Gold (which allowed for front row riding) has been removed, it's not included in all room types but can be bought from your hotel's reception for a reduced price. (I doubt you'll need Express at the moment).
  • Yes the hotel swimming pools are open even though Caribe Aquatic Park is remaining closed this season.
  • The closest airport to PortAventura is Reus which is only a 20 minute transfer to the Resort, most UK airlines fly there and if you book a PortAventura package through them you'll also have free transfers included to your hotel.
  • I believe breakfast is either a'la'carte or buffet (but staff will plate up your food for you) depending on which hotel you stay at.
I hope that helps you out!

@TPJames that's a lot of questions. :tearsofjoy: I'll try and answer them the best I can.

• Yes PortAventura are still using their Express Pass service at the moment although Express Gold (which allowed for front row riding) has been removed, it's not included in all room types but can be bought from your hotel's reception for a reduced price. (I doubt you'll need Express at the moment).
  • Yes the hotel swimming pools are open even though Caribe Aquatic Park is remaining closed this season.
  • The closest airport to PortAventura is Reus which is only a 20 minute transfer to the Resort, most UK airlines fly there and if you book a PortAventura package through them you'll also have free transfers included to your hotel.
  • I believe breakfast is either a'la'carte or buffet (but staff will plate up your food for you) depending on which hotel you stay at.
I hope that helps you out!

Thank you so much, sorry for the overloaded amount of questions, just trying to weigh up the different experiences that the different parks are offering to try and choose the best park for my summer holiday!

Thank you so much, sorry for the overloaded amount of questions, just trying to weigh up the different experiences that the different parks are offering to try and choose the best park for my summer holiday!
No worries, if you want to know anything just give me a message :)

I just found a very interesting video from Expedition Theme Park on PortAventura’s early history as a theme park resort:

Definitely worth a watch, in my opinion; it explores the park’s early history in far more depth than I’ve ever seen anywhere else on the internet, and told me things I certainly never knew about PortAventura’s early history! One does have to wonder how the park would have turned out if Universal had held on to it...

Another particularly interesting thing I noted; at about 17:28 in the video, a brief snapshot is shown of theme park visitor numbers in Europe in 1995. Some of the figures I saw include:
  • Legoland Billund: 1,200,000
  • Liseberg: 2,200,000
  • Heide Park: 2,300,000
  • Europa Park: 2,500,000
  • Efteling: 2,600,000
  • PortAventura: 2,700,000 (in first full year of operation through to 30th April 1996)
  • Edenlandia: 2,800,000 (has anyone else heard of this park, because I certainly hadn’t before watching this video?)
  • Alton Towers: 3,000,000
  • Gardaland: 3,000,000
  • Tivoli Gardens: 3,800,000
  • Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 7,000,000
  • Disneyland Paris: 8,800,000
Certainly interesting to see how much certain parks’ attendance has changed in 25 years!

Yes, I watched this and I’d encourage everyone with an interest in PA to do the same. I find Expedition Theme Park’s video content very informative and always clearly very well researched.