• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Premium car park

james.e.hyde

TS Member
I went to Towers this morning to pick up my Merlin pass, and parked in the Premium car park. I was astounded at the state the car park was in, with ronking great pot holes everywhere.

Considering you pay £16 a time to park in there, I would have thought it would be in tip-top condition! You can see in this picture an example of such a pothole.

1524625_1396683183915939_1793614462_n.jpg

Ps. It's quite odd to see a line of boats parked in a car park.

Yes, that car park is worse than the main ones!

The Battle Galleons boats always are kept there before main season :)

It's not something that bothers me much, although it could pose a H&S concern (ie trip hazard). But £16 now!! Mental.

If you pay £16 to park here, you deserve to get your car wrecked. But it's more of a concern for disabled parking.

Sam said:
If you pay £16 to park here, you deserve to get your car wrecked. But it's more of a concern for disabled parking.

I thought the disabled parking area was somewhere completely different. Am I wrong?

Tom.B said:
Sam said:

I thought the disabled parking area was somewhere completely different. Am I wrong?

Nope I was just going to say, that is of high concern for those who are disabled. I used to take someone disabled, too bad to visit at all anymore, but even then a couple of years ago it was not too bad - that is shocking now.

I'd imagine it is due to the really bad winter last year, water gets into the cracks in the tarmac, expands, then creates further damage - when cars then use it further it just gets worse, if they don't do anything about that soon it's going to get exponentially worse.

Isn't that the car park that is mainly used for coaches? (who are able to easily drive over the pot holes)

I thought the main Express car park was the one which seems in pretty fine condition on the other side of the plaza?

I think that's normally the coach park and express parking is further up

It's the coach park that's in a dire state, the express and disabled car park is on the other side of the entrance plaza, you can get to it by driving past the back of the monorail station. :)

All the same, it gives off a pretty crappy impression when the coach park (clearly visible from Monorail and via walking from the car parks) is littered with huge holes and cracks...

I wonder if work on the car parks remains minimal though based on the LTDP stating how they want to change around the car parks a bit?

You could be right there Scott and you're right they don't look good - a bit like when they had the galvanized temporary fences on the walk way - makes it look shoddy. If it posed a health and safety risk though they should be done - it'll take one person to fall and break their arm...

Wilsy said:
Isn't that the car park that is mainly used for coaches? (who are able to easily drive over the pot holes)

I thought the main Express car park was the one which seems in pretty fine condition on the other side of the plaza?

I thought that had deteriorated rather substantially!

It is still a danger though when it's got a lot of footfall. Can't say I'd ever really paid too much attention to it on the Monorail or anything though, genuinely can't imagine many visitors would except those attempting mountaineering of those potholes ;D

Ok, they put up a fence that is not really needed, and leave trip hazards all over the vehicle parking area. A bit upside down in my option.

delta79 said:
Ok, they put up a fence that is not really needed, and leave trip hazards all over the vehicle parking area. A bit upside down in my option.

My next thought on this was, I bet they will fence off the potholes ;D

Don't worry it's been like this for a few years now, as they resurfaced the road leading to Magic HQ back in 2009, and left the main coach park as it was...

Although that isn't actually Express Parking you have to drive down there to get to Express (and disabled parking). It's quite frankly in an appalling state with some huge potholes.

:)

Here's the road and sign they put up in 2009, while resurfacing the road leading to a staff car park and Magic HQ, but leaving the coach park untouched...

They certainly got there priority right here... ;)

Alton128_zps2d208409.jpg

Alton129_zpse40f24a8.jpg

Wonder how many comments have been made by guests over the years...

Why have they gott a person trying toget candy floss off the floor with a stick on that sign :D