• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

I find it very interesting that John Wardley all but confirmed that Project Horizon is SW9!

Assuming the ride is a coaster (and in fairness, I think it’s extremely likely to be one at this point; all the evidence points towards a coaster, in my view), I wouldn’t be surprised to see a coaster with stronger dark ride elements (think of something along the lines of Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts at Universal Orlando, or perhaps Arthur at Europa Park).

This type of ride might lend itself more to the “impressive coaster technology” that John Wardley previously alluded to, as a dark ride-style experience could lend itself to trick tracks and such.

The smaller ground space compared to other indoor coasters could possibly be more fitting of something with a greater dark ride focus. Dark rides typically take up less ground space than coasters, so Project Horizon being a coaster with a heavy dark ride element and the odd high bit of thrilling coaster track would explain the tall building and somewhat smaller ground space compared to other indoor coasters.

Furthermore, it would offer an experience that would perhaps fill more of a hole within Alton Towers’ current lineup than a regular coaster in a shed would. The way I see it is that something like Gringotts or Arthur, which would have a stronger dark ride element with bursts of coaster sprinkled here and there, could feasibly pass as a dark ride as well and offer a similar type of experience to a major dark ride while also having plenty of coaster fun in there too. Whereas a regular coaster that’s enclosed, while it could also fill gaps in terms of being a family thrill coaster to complement RMT (dependent on thrill level pursued) and an enclosed coaster, would perhaps do that less.

If Project Horizon were to be that type of coaster, it could also explain Alton Towers’ general reluctance to refer to the ride as a roller coaster in the planning application.
If Project Horizon is SW9, it seems exceedingly likely that the 'impressive coaster technology' JW referred to will be a world's first.

Imagine an indoor taron with loads of theming. If towers can produce something like that then it would be better than the space mountains
Taron is a black painted coaster that's built low to the ground and uses launches to get around the height problem. Which would make sense for Towers. But that's not the Merlin way.

Taron cost loads to build, isn't themed around a haunted/dark coloured tree/forest/hollow/woodland, isn't themed to a secret sinister organisation, provides airtime and has a decent length to it. Not really Merlin's cup of tea and certainly not anywhere near possible with what we know about the plans so far. Taron also is not constrained by a teeny weeny little shed.

This may be a decent, immersive and unique attraction, but I'd advise a management of expectations to avoid disappointment.

If Project Horizon is SW9, it seems exceedingly likely that the 'impressive coaster technology' JW referred to will be a world's first.
If it is a coaster then, at this point, I can't see this being anything other than an Intamin Multi-Dimension coaster, like Uncharted at PortAventura, which wouldn't be a World's First, but UK first definitely.
It is impressive coaster technology, and is "coming along... here" but not necessarily only here.

If it is a coaster then, at this point, I can't see this being anything other than an Intamin Multi-Dimension coaster, like Uncharted at PortAventura, which wouldn't be a World's First, but UK first definitely.
It is impressive coaster technology, and is "coming along... here" but not necessarily only here.
Funnily enough, Thirteen is actually an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster, so the model in itself wouldn't technically be a UK's first, but I do see your point, and I agree that that model seems like a fairly likely candidate, in my view.

Funnily enough, Thirteen is actually an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster, so the model in itself wouldn't technically be a UK's first, but I do see your point, and I agree that that model seems like a fairly likely candidate, in my view.
Is there anything new that could be done with an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster that would make it a world's first?
Anyway, I'm starting to slightly doubt about the presence of a world's first. It was quite a Varney thing and something that he insisted on (JW said the lack of a unique selling point was the main reason the cross valley coaster was not built). Would Scott O'Neil care as much about world's firsts?

Is there anything new that could be done with an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster that would make it a world's first?
Anyway, I'm starting to slightly doubt about the presence of a world's first. It was quite a Varney thing and something that he insisted on (JW said the lack of a unique selling point was the main reason the cross valley coaster was not built). Would Scott O'Neil care as much about world's firsts?
There are various different trick tracks that could be added. New ones such as a bungee lift (Intamin has proposed this, but it has not been done yet... it's basically a drop track in reverse) could function as a world's first if need be.

An Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster, if built now, could certainly be a very different proposition to Thirteen.

There are various different trick tracks that could be added. New ones such as a bungee lift (Intamin has proposed this, but it has not been done yet... it's basically a drop track in reverse) could function as a world's first if need be.

An Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster, if built now, could certainly be a very different proposition to Thirteen.
I have no doubt that towers could get a worlds first out of an Intamin multi-dimension coaster, even if they've technically already got one of the same models. They're incredibly wide ranging these days, thirteen was the first and Intamin have expanded what they can do a lot since then.
I do think the idea of a bungie lift is quite interesting but could still be an odd thing for towers to do, it would effectively mean they've got 'that coaster that drops in the dark' and 'that coaster that goes up in the dark'.

The Lift Hills and Thrills guy who interviewed John Wardley remains convinced that Project Horizon and SW9 are 2 separate things.

Most of us took his, "could be" answer to mean that PH and SW9 are one and the same.

Having now watched it several times, I can't decide. I have my doubts that Merlin would commit the financial resources for both over the next 3 years, but having studied his body language (like a Nerd), I don't think he has given anything away.

Well played!

The Lift Hills and Thrills guy who interviewed John Wardley remains convinced that Project Horizon and SW9 are 2 separate things.

Most of us took his, "could be" answer to mean that PH and SW9 are one and the same.

Having now watched it several times, I can't decide. I have my doubts that Merlin would commit the financial resources for both over the next 3 years, but having studied his body language (like a Nerd), I don't think he has given anything away.

Well played!
It really depends what horizon is. My opinion is the SW names are kept for coasters. This is based on history. If horizon is a coaster its SW9. If it isnt, then SW9 Is still to come and I would envisage this within the next 3 years.

Let's not forget the takeover of Merlin has boosted capex funds by millions.

If there were two large capex projects running near/alongside each other, wouldn’t we have been some more signs of ‘SW9’ by now?

With Nemesis next year and potentially Project Horizon the year after I would be surprised if we saw another large project for at least 2-3 years.

Depends doesnt it. There's been plenty of activity over the park which could be related to future projects.

If it's in an area that doesn't need planning, it's feasible that SW9 could come within 3 years if Horizon is not SW9.

That all said, I am in the camp that thinks Horizon is a coaster and is SW9.
But....... Nothing can be ruled out

If there were two large capex projects running near/alongside each other, wouldn’t we have been some more signs of ‘SW9’ by now?

With Nemesis next year and potentially Project Horizon the year after I would be surprised if we saw another large project for at least 2-3 years.
If Horizon is not SW9, then I think SW9 will probably be around 2028-2030.

But there are or will be two large CAPEX projects running together, Nemesis and Horizon (if it passes planning). So if Horizon was not SW9 but something separate, that would make it a third large project, which I find unlikely.

But there are or will be two large CAPEX projects running together, Nemesis and Horizon (if it passes planning). So if Horizon was not SW9 but something separate, that would make it a third large project, which I find unlikely.

Oh yes of course. I’m looking over Nemesis as it’s rather unique circumstances and not necessarily indicative of what future investments will look like under Merlin.

Recent responses
Responses from both the Staffordshire County Council's Historic Environment and Flood Risk Management teams have been added to the application in the last week or so, with them very much being a mixed bag at best for this project.

The SSC's HE Team have deferred to Historic England and the SCC's Conservation Officer echoing their views that the proposed building would 'have a detrimental impact on the setting of nearby heritage assets' and that relocating the development or redesigning it to be more 'modest' should be considered.

In better news, the FRM team have no concerns about planning permission being granted for this. Which is something, I guess.

Planning Committee Meeting
Looking ahead slightly, the agenda for next Thursday afternoon's Planning Applications Committee meeting has this evening been uploaded to the Staffordshire Moorlands District Council website.

Given its decision date has been listed as the same date as this meeting for a while now (and still is so), I'm not quite sure why application SMD/2022/0556 doesn't feature in it. Not going to pretend I know enough about the process of planning applications and what this means for the project in either the short or long term. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the application's page for the next eight days or so.

Last edited: