• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Puy du Fou (France): General Discussion

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Puy du Fou have revealed more information on their major new attraction for 2023. The attraction will be called The Mime and the Star, will debut on 8th April and represents a €20million (£17.5m) investment. It has been under development for three years and been under construction since last year.

This will be the seventh major show in the park and joins the line-up of other walk through attractions, themed areas and experiences in the park.

The backstory of the show:
We are in 1914 and visitors are invited to watch, in silence, the shooting of a brand new film starring Garance, the rising star of the 7th art (filmmaking), and Mimoza, the dreamy young mime. On the set, the director Gérard Bideau hopes to realize his dream... He is indeed convinced that only a sincere love will be able to offer silent and black and white cinema, colour and sound. In front of the director's camera, Mimoza draws from her childhood dreams a thousand tricks and illusions to impress the one who has already won her heart. But the filming is suddenly interrupted by a dramatic event that upsets the life of the young Gypsy, shakes up Garance's budding feelings and destroys all the director's hopes...
le-mime-et-l-etoile_0.jpg.webp

This show is billed as 'scenographic revolution' The latest addition to the Puy du Fou shows, "The Mime and the Star" is the fruit of 45 years of creative experience. Through its sets, mobile props, hundreds of costumes and stage effects, this ambitious and spectacular creation recreates the exact aesthetics of a period film in black and white, without filters or artifices between the spectator's eye and the stage, with real characters in real settings.

Lasting 28 minutes, it evokes cinema in black and white, silent with dialogues inscribed on the set. It's the story of a mime, a gypsy, in love with a young actress... and this love will tip the cinema towards modernity.

The 2000 spectators are projected into the heart of a shoot giving him the illusion that he is following the camera filming. It's actually the scenery that moves, over almost 2 km of street thanks to the process of reverse traveling, but also the 120 characters who move on treadmills.

Comprehensive details can be found on Androland - use auto-translate.

It sounds from the description as though it might be a similar rotating theatre experience to Le Dernier Panache. The size of the building they’re constructing would certainly allow it.

I’m not getting drawn into culture wars. That’s not what a them park forum should be for.

Contrary to my guess, it looks quite different to Le Dernier Panache, although they’ve clearly taken inspiration from the travelator effect in that show and significantly expanded on it. I also like the era they’ve chosen to represent - it’s a significant part of French history that’s significantly underrepresented at the park thus far.

I just wanted to summarise some thoughts after my most recent trip to Puy du Fou at the end of July. I appreciate the park is difficult to understand for those who have not been, given it has no rides (aside from a carousel).

The renewed Sign of Triumph (Roman Colosseum) was absolutely brilliant. The music, the chariots, the new boat feature - wow. Sitting in there with nearly 10,000 others is momentous.

Dernier Panache (the Last Panache) remains one of the most emotional theme park shows in the world. It is intense, dark, breathtaking. The way the entire theatre slowly revolves to face scenes which include lakes forests, boats, castles... it's amazing. The atmosphere is one of utter silence - no camera phones, the audience transfixed with what is happening in front of them. The climax of this show is heartbreaking, but then the final 4 minutes with the main score is one of my favourite theme park things anywhere on earth,

The new show - The Mime and the Star - is entirely unique. Using a mass of treadmills and moving sets, this show takes you on a journey of how black and white cinema gained its colour. It's hugely impressive and the piece de resistance at the end was totally unexpected. Wow!

All of the walkthroughs are hugely impressive, as are the other shows.

We saw the amazing Cinéscénie at 10.30pm - what a spectacle. It was my second time watching this 90 minute show which chronicles the history of the region including the French Revolution and the World Wars. Wow.

I don't think there is any park quite like Puy du Fou.

It is impossible to accurately put the place into words.

I just wanted to summarise some thoughts after my most recent trip to Puy du Fou at the end of July. I appreciate the park is difficult to understand for those who have not been, given it has no rides (aside from a carousel).

The renewed Sign of Triumph (Roman Colosseum) was absolutely brilliant. The music, the chariots, the new boat feature - wow. Sitting in there with nearly 10,000 others is momentous.

Dernier Panache (the Last Panache) remains one of the most emotional theme park shows in the world. It is intense, dark, breathtaking. The way the entire theatre slowly revolves to face scenes which include lakes forests, boats, castles... it's amazing. The atmosphere is one of utter silence - no camera phones, the audience transfixed with what is happening in front of them. The climax of this show is heartbreaking, but then the final 4 minutes with the main score is one of my favourite theme park things anywhere on earth,

The new show - The Mime and the Star - is entirely unique. Using a mass of treadmills and moving sets, this show takes you on a journey of how black and white cinema gained its colour. It's hugely impressive and the piece de resistance at the end was totally unexpected. Wow!

All of the walkthroughs are hugely impressive, as are the other shows.

We saw the amazing Cinéscénie at 10.30pm - what a spectacle. It was my second time watching this 90 minute show which chronicles the history of the region including the French Revolution and the World Wars. Wow.

I don't think there is any park quite like Puy du Fou.

It is impossible to accurately put the place into words.
This is fantastic to read - we have a trip booked in the October half term to stay at PDF and Futeroscope - even more excited now!

They just need to work out how to get the traffic out of the place at the end of the night. Chaos!

I’m intrigued to see the new show, from the brief glimpses I’ve seen it looks excellent. I’ve got to say, Le Dernier Panache has never quite gelled with me, but I agree on the Colosseum show - it is ridiculously impressive.

How were the crowds @AstroDan? We’ve always been lucky to have quiet days, but have heard from the staff that it can also be uncomfortably busy at times.

I’m intrigued to see the new show, from the brief glimpses I’ve seen it looks excellent. I’ve got to say, Le Dernier Panache has never quite gelled with me, but I agree on the Colosseum show - it is ridiculously impressive.

How were the crowds @AstroDan? We’ve always been lucky to have quiet days, but have heard from the staff that it can also be uncomfortably busy at times.

It was very busy, as is often the case on Cinéscénie nights. We were arriving at all shows 30 to 40 minutes before time although this wasn't always necessary.