• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rank the spinning coasters you’ve done

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Spinning coasters are an interesting and somewhat polarising ride type, and there’s a very wide range of different types of spinning coaster about, so I’d be interested to know; how would you rank the spinning coasters you’ve done?

I’ve actually done 10 spinning coasters in total; given I’ve only done 79 coasters overall, that is mildly surprising to me, I’ll admit! In terms of a breakdown by manufacturer; I’ve done 6 Reverchon spinning coasters, 2 Maurer spinning coasters and 2 Mack spinning coasters. I’d rank mine as follows:
  1. Storm Chaser, Paultons Park (Mack) - This comfortably tops my spinning coaster list. I did quite like Storm Chaser; it was very smooth, had decent pacing, and the spinning also wasn’t too excessive for the most part (although I did have one pretty spinny ride that toed the line), so as spinning coasters go, it ticks all the right boxes for me! Not to mention, it’s within the gorgeous Tornado Springs area, and interacts with it really well! 7/10, #21 out of 79 overall
  2. Cobra’s Curse, Busch Gardens Tampa (Mack) - To tell you the truth, I don’t remember too many specifics about this from my one ride 5.5 years ago. I remember thinking it was quite good, and very smooth, with some very clever tricks up its sleeves, and I also remember it having absolutely superb theming, but it didn’t leave an overly strong impression on me track and train, I’ll admit. Storm Chaser certainly made more of an impression on me, from memory, although recency bias may admittedly be helping SC a little. 6/10, #35 out of 79 overall
  3. Dragon’s Fury, Chessington World of Adventures (Maurer) - Interestingly, this is another one that’s getting a bit hazier in my mind, as similarly to Cobra’s Curse, I’ve only ever ridden it once and that ride was quite a long time ago (even longer this time; it’s nearly 8 years since I’ve been to Chessington!). In fairness, I do remember quite liking it, and I remember liking the rather long, sprawling layout a fair amount more than Spinball's, but as with Cobra’s, it didn’t leave an overly strong impression on me. Cobra’s Curse sits a touch higher because from memory, I did like it slightly more than Fury, but to be honest, they both sit in the fairly similar territory of “good, but nothing that left an overly strong impression” for me as far as spinning coasters go. 6/10, #36 out of 79 overall
  4. Spinball Whizzer, Alton Towers (Maurer) - This was my first spinning coaster, and it’s also quite comfortably my most ridden spinning coaster, but I’ll admit it’s a ride I’m not the keenest on, personally. I’ll admit that the layout is good, and it’s a perfectly fine coaster for what it is, but I often find it spins a bit too much for me, and it’s also quite rough in places, as well. 4/10, #53 out of 79 overall
  5. Reverchon spinning mouse coasters, Various (Reverchon) - I’ve done 6 of these now, and while they do vary slightly in quality, they all sit on roughly the same level for me, and are neck-and-neck with each other in my rankings, so I won’t do a blow-by-blow account of each. I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of these at all; they’re all comfortably my least favourite spinning coasters, and among my least favourite coasters I’ve ever done. I find them very rough and often too spinny for me, and I’m not generally a fan of wild mouse coasters, as I don’t enjoy the strong laterals. However, I’ll admit that these coasters do pack a lot into a small space, and they’re also quite good rides for the smaller parks in terms of bang-for-buck; I’m probably being a bit too picky in my critiques of them. If you’re interested in specific ones that stand out at either end of the spectrum; Blackpool South Pier’s was the one I disliked the least, and the left side of Primeval Whirl was particularly awful compared to the others for some reason, but they all sit on a pretty similar level for me. 2/10, #72-#77 out of 79 overall
So, that’s how I rank my spinning coasters! I apologise if I come across a bit picky in my reviews of these; as you might be able to tell, spinning coasters aren’t generally a favourite of mine, as I don’t have an especially high spin tolerance.

But how would you rank the spinning coasters you’ve done?

I’ve only done Storm Chaser at Paultons and Spinball at Towers. But storm chaser was really fun, surprisingly intense. Haven’t ridden spinball in a few years but hoping to get on it on Saturday. Always remember it being fun though, nothing amazing but not terrible. Storm chaser is definitely my favourite out of the two.

Hoping to go on Dragons Fury when I do my first visit to Chessington in May.

1 - Dwervelwind - Toverland
2 - Storm Chsser - Paultons Park
3 - Tornado - Bakken
4+5 - Winjas Fear+Force - Phantasialand
6 - Tarantula - Parque D'attrociones de Madrid
7 - Euromir - Europa Park
8 - Dragons Fury - Chessington
9 - Spinball Whizzer - Alton Towers
10 - Heidi The Ride - Hyde Park
11 - Exterminator - Kennywood
12 - Ice Mountain - Fantasy Island/Hyde Park

Then it's all the generic spinning wild mouses, except Crash Test (Southport Pleasure Land) which is a clear last place.

Last edited:
I have been on around 50 spinning coasters, and haven't a clue how I would meaningfully rank them but here are some to mention - in no particular order:

Space Fantasy Universal Studios Japan - beautiful in theory, but hugely disappointing that the park keep tampering with the theme every 5 minutes
Time Traveler, Silver Dollar CIty, USA - superb, and I look forward to finally riding The Ride to Happiness later this year
Euro-Mir, Europa-Park, Germany - obscenely intense in places for what is a family ride, somewhat rough, mad soundtrack and totally bonkers lifthill that goes on for 5 minutes
Tarantula, Parque de Attraciones, Spain- one of the finest Maurer spinning coasters I have done
Spin Runway, Yomiuriland, Japan - a silly ride. An indoor Gerstlauer spinning coaster based in a washing machine. Weird lift hill.
Winja's Fear & Force, Phantasialand, Germany - although they don't really have that amazing a layout, the unique track systems in place on this coaster make it worthy of mention here.
Exterminator, Kennywood, USA - it's 'just' a Reverchon but my goodness this thing has theming. It helped the staff unlocked the car from the start, so it was pretty mental!
Gekion Live / Veil of Dark, Joypolis, Japan - this weird sort of family-launched-inverting-dark ride combo coaster is totally surreal. I liked it. But it wouldn't make even my top 300 coasters.
Tornado, Bakken, Denmark - a very, very intense spinning coaster from Intamin. It's a 30-second blast, but not for everyone.

The worst spinning coasters I have been on relative to how they should be include Naga Bay at Bobbejaanland, the now demolished Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom and Kung Fu Panda Master at Gardaland. Dreadful, both. Objectif Mars at Futuroscope was also trying to be jack of all trades - but is master of none.

If I had to rank the best spinning coaster I have done, it would probably be Time Traveler, Tornado or Tarantula. But I suspect Ride to Happiness will take the top when I ride in summer 2022.

I'm not sure how to rank them really as I've never felt the need to consider it. However, Time Traveler is certainly the standout for being the most innovative, Exterminator for being the most pleasantly surprising, and that Viking piece of crap at a certain Polish RCT park for being the worst.
But I suspect Ride to Happiness will take the top when I ride in summer 2022.
I look forward to this epiphany together, dear.

Time Traveller is easily the best spinning coaster I have ridden, such a wonderful ride and experience. Looking forward to seeing how it compares with Ride to Happiness later this year.
Kung Fu Panda Master at Gardaland.
I had completely forgotten that I had ridden this, says it all I suppose!

Think this is all the ones I've done.

Winjas Fear
Dragons Fury
Spinball Whizzer
Tarantula
Euro Mir
Spinning Racer
Winjas Force
Storm Chaser
Dwervelwind
Spinning Coaster (Buwalda)
Ice Mountain
Fantasy Mouse
Family Star
Twister (LWV)
Batman
Monkey Mayhem
Rockin' Roller
Heidi
Magic Mouse (Brean)
Crazy Mouse (Brighton)
Twister (Crealy)
Happy Loops
Spinning Coaster (Canon Hill)
Whirlwind (GYPB)
Twistosaurus
Tyrolean Tubtwist
Viking

1. Dragons Fury (CWoA)
2. Winja Fear/Force (PL)
3 Spinball Whizzer (AT)
4 Cobras Curse (BGT)
5 The Twister (WMSP)
6 Primevil Whirl (DAK)

Cobras Curse from memory was a let down, didn't spin enough and just a bit weird.
Whereas Dragons Fury feels long and has a good layout around the whole dragon area of the park.
Winjas was fun with the unusual track elements.

I despise spinning coasters with a passion just because they nearly always make me feel ill after I come off.

The only one where I came off and felt okay was Cobra's Curse, so I will choose that one as my favourite.

Edit: I did love my first ride on Storm Chaser so that would also be up there. The second and third ride made me feel like all the others though, so I will deduct a point for that.

Crush's Coaster - Layout isnt great but theme is nice and its alot of fun in the dark. Let down by the queue length.
Winjas Fear - Interesting layout though not overly exciting, trick track is a waste of space
Winjas Force - As above
Dragons Fury - Fun ride, like Spinball but not designed by a 2 year old with a crayon
Spinball Whizzer - Fun ride, like Dragons Fury but designed by a 2 year old with a crayon
Maurer standard layout - Better than Reverchon, can get a decent spin
Reverchon standard layout - Better than a punch in the face
Euromir - A punch in the face

1. Euro-Mir
2. Crush's Coaster
3. Dragons Fury
4. Spinball Whizzer
5. Tarántua
6. Ice Mountain
7. Crazy Mouse
8. Monkey Mayhem
9. Heidi