• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rank your ridden GCI wooden coasters

Wildcat that high up is a bold choice, I thought it was awful personally. What did you like about it out of interest?

Lightning Racer on the other hand was a huge suprise and one/two of my favourite woodies.

Wilcat has a reputation for being rough and it was, but I certainly didn't find it unbearable. It was far from the roughest wooden coaster on our trip. I basically thought the layout was good enough to shine through and I felt It was one of the more forceful GCIs that we rode in the US. It was very close between Wildcat and Lightning Racer but although the sychronisation between the two sides on LR is a thing of wonderous beauty, the ride experience seemed a bit less dynamic than Wildcat.

I would also say that it was quite difficult to separate the GCIs in my list below the top 3, most of which I would rate as being good to average. I'd say that Wodan, Wood Coaster and Mystic Timbers are in a tier above.

Sorry to bump, but I've finally done a second GCI (new in italics)...
  1. Wodan Timbur Coaster - Europa Park: This coaster is well and truly demented like no other ride I've ever been on! It's absolutely relentless from start to finish, it's packed with airtime, the turns are great fun, the first drop is awesome, it's very smooth in woodie terms (the smoothest woodie I've done... somehow manages to be smoother than the ride below, which I didn't think was possible on a traditional woodie); what's not to like? In terms of particular elements I like; I love the first drop, and I love the fun little run of ejector pops at the end, although to be honest, all of it's pretty great! I've noticed that it seems to take the strongest elements of each of the 3 modern woodies I'd done previously (Megafobia, Mine Blower and Wicker Man), and merge them all into an exceptional wooden roller coaster; the first drop and turnaround sequence feels somewhat Megafobia-inspired, while the really fun turns, smoothness/comfort factor and general twisty design feel Wicker Man-inspired, and the little run of awesome ejector airtime pops at the end feel quite Mine Blower-inspired! All in all, Wodan is truly unhinged, but manages to be brilliantly nuts without being excessively intense or remotely rough, which I think is a truly brilliant art in a wooden roller coaster! 10/10, #3/91
  2. Wicker Man - Alton Towers: Wicker Man may not quite be my favourite wooden roller coaster anymore, but it's still a phenomenal ride, in my opinion! There's lots of great airtime (although I don't think the ride feels as packed with airtime as Wodan, with a greater emphasis on fun turns as opposed to the heavy airtime emphasis on Wodan), the turns are really fun, the s-bend drop and initial rush towards the structure is awesome, the drop off of the u-turn into the airtime hill and final pass through is awesome, the ride is generally pretty smooth as far as traditional woodies go (although bizarrely slightly rougher than Wodan, it's fast-paced throughout... interesting given that Wodan is arguably more intense and 6 years older)... I really do love it, and I think it's such a phenomenal woodie! The reason it sits behind Wodan at #2 is because while very fast-paced and exciting throughout, it doesn't feel quite as relentless as Wodan in a way that I can't quite place my finger on, and it also doesn't have quite as much of a strong airtime emphasis as Wodan, either; that's not a bad thing per se, but I did prefer Wodan's stronger airtime emphasis myself. The pops WM has (and there are a fair few of them!) are probably not too far off Wodan's in terms of strength, possibly even on par, but Wodan just packs more of them in throughout the layout; that ride feels like it gives airtime at every chance it gets, whereas Wicker Man doesn't go quite as all-in with the airtime pops. Overall, though, I think Wicker Man is a phenomenal coaster, and a super fun ride that I absolutely love! 10/10, #5/91
All in all, I have to say that I'm loving GCI coasters so far, based off of the 2 I've done both sitting in my top 5 and ranking in my 10/10 tier. I love the twisty layout style filled with fun ejector pops, I love the fast pacing and excitement throughout the layout that GCI always master, and I think that the company also strikes the perfect comfort and rerideability level for a wooden coaster! I can't wait to ride more GCIs!

For context, Wodan and Wicker Man are my 2 favourite wooden roller coasters at present. The one Gravity Group ride I've done (Mine Blower) sits below both, at #6/91 and a 9/10.