• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Remembrance Sunday

josht

TS Member
Favourite Ride
bandit (movie park)
Would like to show my respects to all those men and women who gave their lives, so to wear a poppy to show the greatest respect to those who have fallen

I will wear a poppy with pride today :) Today is also the 11th, exactly 96 years after the first world war ended.

I do not know your name, but I know you died
I do not know from where you came, but I know you died

Your uniform, branch of service, it matters not to me
Whether Volunteer or Conscript, or how it came to be
That politicians' failures, or some power-mad ambition
Brought you too soon to your death, in the name of any nation

You saw, you felt, you knew full well, as friend and foe were taken
By bloody death, that your life too, was forfeit and forsaken
Yet on you went and fought and died, in your close and private hell
For Mate or Pal or Regiment and memories never to tell

It was for each other, through shot and shell, the madness you endured
Side by side, through wound and pain, and comradeship assured
No family ties, or bloodline link, could match that bond of friend
Who shared the horror and kept on going, at last until the end

We cannot know, we were not there, it's beyond our comprehension
To know the toll that battle brings, of resolute intention
To carry on, day by day, for all you loved and hoped for
To live in peace a happy life, away from bloody war

For far too many, no long life ahead, free of struggle and pain and the gun
And we must remember the price that was paid, by each and every one
Regardless of views, opinions aside, no matter how each of us sees it
They were there and I cannot forget, even though I did not live it

I do not know your name, but I know you died
I do not know from where you came, but I know you died.

RIP

Today I wore two Poppies. A red Royal British Legion one and a white Peace Pledge poppy. Some people see this as controversial and claim that the white poppy is in some way disrespectful to the dead, but I profusely refute that.

My red poppy was to remind me of the people who have died in battle, and mourn their passing. My white poppy was to remind me that people should never be the cannon fodder for a politician's battle.

a few years ago, a town councillor was kick off a remembrance parade for wearing a white poppy.

Can't see the problem myself. Isn't the second important point of remembrance day remembering why it should never happen again. That's what I was always taught anyway.

^ Partly that, but it is officially a day of remembrance now for all servicemen and women who have lost their lives in war for this country - rather than just in the big ones in the past.

I can't see why there would be such a fuss over wearing a peace poppy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The World Wars are not the only conflicts that should never have happened. If anything I'd say that recent events strengthen that message.

But some people do go a bit mental over Remembrance. Our local memorial statue was recently moved and it kicked up one hell of a fuss. They only moved it a couple of meters. Its old position was in the middle of our only access road to the train station which meant that except for Remembrance Day (when they close the road off) it was impossible for any group of people to access it. Now it's on a nice road side park area, still lined up to be leaving the town and facing the station as it is supposed to but with a whole area for people to surround it. Yet despite benefiting everyone it’s apparently hugely disrespectful that it was moved. So I’m not surprised that people over act to a different coloured poppy either.

Tim said:
mrbrightside said:
Off topic but... Cambridge?
yep, It does say on my profile ;)

I wondered if you might work it out :p
Haha, I get the train there every other week to see my girlfriend so the memorial is fairly noticable :p

Unfortunately, the red poppy symbol has been partially hijacked in the same way that the Union and St George's Flags have - by fascists.

Some people completely misinterpret it. They think that because the Peace Poppy is against war, that it must be in some way against soldiers. Whereas what it really does is recognise them as victims of a horrible system and whether people agree with that or not, it comes from a very empathetic place, not a hostile one.

The way I've always seen it is respect the soldiers, do not respect the politicians who cowardly send them to die and murder for their own gain.

Wearing the two poppies says you're thankful for those who died and continue to serve but against the system that creates war.