• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I repeat, they have told me bare faced lies, for fun, for at least three decades.
Personal experiences repeated over many years.
Completely fair, and true.

🤣 🤣

On what basis exactly are you claiming that it's for fun?
Mischief...bored staff telling big fat lies to see if the fibs end up on thoosie sites, or just for the hell of it.
I could, but won't, name half a dozen of the liars, who would be proud of the title.
Like the dodgems operator who lied and said I had been naughty all year and needed beating up...I got hammered by all nine of the other dodgems.
He lied, I had been good all year.
Assorted lies...bringing back the mouse, 2nd new coaster as part of the package with icon, decent bitter coming to Crevettes, streak being scrapped, dora actually opening on Sundays, the Reel being rebuilt (filthy evil swine James)...all lies.
Oh, and Icon is going to be a woodie...that was quite the fun one...new timber for the dipper was around at the time.

Probably best to get back on topic now. We don't need this turning into a conversation about when some ride hosts might tell occasional inconsequential fibs to enthusiasts.

I think it's safe to say that when it comes to misinformation around RAP, this is unlikely to be 'for fun'. It is way more likely a genuine lack of understanding about the scheme or the questions being asked.

I've been reading this topic on off for the last few months and as someone who now comes under 'ambulant disabled', I wanted to share my first experience using the RAP system at the weekend.

I have undiagnosed chronic pain which makes it hard to stand or walk for more than 10 minutes, greatly fatigues me and, along with many other symptoms, has made my daily life and trip planning more interesting and challenging these last few years. I'm very grateful my GPs have taken my pain seriously and I'm currently awaiting clinical assessment next month. I mostly get by on my walking stick but there have been times where I do need assistance, i.e. a wheelchair, so every channel I've used has always required proof and a supporting statement.

The current Merlin Ride Access Pass application form is the most thorough example I've experienced, because it has to be done well in advance for visitors with additional needs to use it. The process asks for an overview, to tick relevant impairment types, to explain why they might find standing/queuing a barrier or require a wheelchair and very specific evidence to back everything up. After 10 days, I got the email confirming I was eligible and linked my ID to Merlin to complete RAP registration via MAP portal where the last few steps had me confirm whether I required my red RAP for cognitive conditions or require assistance boarding/evacuating. When I collected my RAP at the Splash Landings reception desk on Saturday morning, I had a photo taken for my ID card and given the RAP leaflet with the blank return time boxes on the back. The collection even became an on the job training opportunity for the reception host I talked to, as a manager happened to be nearby. Overall I found it a very detailed, smooth process and, because the Nimbus team assess case by case with no stone left unturned, it seems to leave little to no room for anyone to take advantage.

As visiting Alton Towers itself, I felt silly for not double checking the Skyride's availability (eees closed) and not booking in a wheelchair/mobility scooter to help me get around. Learning curve for the next visit. Still, the RAP was very useful in curbing any long waits. Ride staff were overall very good and considerate whenever I used the ambulant disabled RAP queue, where we waited less than 10 minutes per ride. I was allowed to take my walking stick through Sub-Terra and Wicker Man's pre-show, and was allowed to exit via the airgates on the latter. However, with regards to return ride times times and ID checks on 6 different rides of varying main queue time length, this is what I experienced:
  • Not ID checked but return ride time signed: 2 rides
  • Not ID checked but return ride time unsigned: 2 rides
  • ID checked but return ride time unsigned: 1 rides
  • ID checked and return ride time signed: 1 rides
So there is definitely inconsistency on how RAP is handled by ride staff across the park and why that can lead to potential system misuse. I wasn't entirely sure where some ambulant disabled RAP lines were meant to be either, such as Oblivion's where the exit is now wheelchair RAP only. The only issue I saw with RAP queue misuse was on Rita where the family in front of us hadn't realised it wasn't the main queue. And I disagree with Sub-Terra's 'green' sensory sign for the lap bars when it should be 'red', those are some of the heaviest and painful on park to have stapled on your lap.

Either way, I greatly appreciated using RAP and the ambulant disabled queues at Alton Towers, it made my day there easier to handle than my visit last year where I really suffered and struggled to enjoy myself. And I'm interested in seeing what my experiences are like at the other Merlin parks whenever I head back. It's not all perfect and there's room for improvement but at least they're a lot clearer over here than at Heide Park, Movie Park Germany and Hansa-Park where accessibility is, uh.... hmm, I'll do a separate July trip write up sometime.

Last edited:
The German parks are certainly a few steps behind the UK, particularly as they mostly seem to hide behind the TUV as reasoning for very limited disability allowance.

I just want to make a few observations about RAP, experienced by myself. You may or may not remember that I applied for and qualified for a RAP several months ago through the new online system (due to a mental health issue that plays me up sometimes). Anyway, in recent days I visited the park and felt the need to put the pass to use for the first time. I only went on a few rides but it's interesting to note a few things.

1. The first ride is a bit like a free fast-track (if the RAP queue is not lengthy, as you're not timed out for your first ride).

2. The fact that Towers is quite a large site provides an advantage over the 'regular' visitor, as when you are timed out, for say 30 minutes, by the time you've travelled to another part of the park, you've used up a lot of that time already. Imagine getting timed out for 40 minutes on your card after riding Rita, then you want to go over to Nemesis. You spend 5 minutes on the loo and getting to the Skyride. Queue 15 minutes for the Skyride, then spend however long getting over there and to Nemesis. Most of your 'time out' time is gone by then, and you're almost on your next ride. You can add buying and eating dinner and all sorts of things to this scenario between rides. This is opposed to where the 'regular' non RAP using visitor would have to spend time doing these things anyway, then have to spend time in the actual full queue afterwards. An obvious benefit to the RAP holder that isn't mentioned too much, I don't think.

3. On one of the rides the staff member didn't even mark my card, so if there was a ride nearby I wanted to get on, I could have done so without a wait.

I can see why people in the past have got themselves all excited about describing it as some sort of free fast-track. From my experience there was definitely an advantage in queueing/waiting times throughout the day because I was a RAP holder.

I just want to make a few observations about RAP, experienced by myself. You may or may not remember that I applied for and qualified for a RAP several months ago through the new online system (due to a mental health issue that plays me up sometimes). Anyway, in recent days I visited the park and felt the need to put the pass to use for the first time. I only went on a few rides but it's interesting to note a few things.

1. The first ride is a bit like a free fast-track (if the RAP queue is not lengthy, as you're not timed out for your first ride).

2. The fact that Towers is quite a large site provides an advantage over the 'regular' visitor, as when you are timed out, for say 30 minutes, by the time you've travelled to another part of the park, you've used up a lot of that time already. Imagine getting timed out for 40 minutes on your card after riding Rita, then you want to go over to Nemesis. You spend 5 minutes on the loo and getting to the Skyride. Queue 15 minutes for the Skyride, then spend however long getting over there and to Nemesis. Most of your 'time out' time is gone by then, and you're almost on your next ride. You can add buying and eating dinner and all sorts of things to this scenario between rides. This is opposed to where the 'regular' non RAP using visitor would have to spend time doing these things anyway, then have to spend time in the actual full queue afterwards. An obvious benefit to the RAP holder that isn't mentioned too much, I don't think.

3. On one of the rides the staff member didn't even mark my card, so if there was a ride nearby I wanted to get on, I could have done so without a wait.

I can see why people in the past have got themselves all excited about describing it as some sort of free fast-track. From my experience there was definitely an advantage in queueing/waiting times throughout the day because I was a RAP holder.
2. If the skyride ever reopens that is...
"Hopefully" next year, apparently.

Yeah the "hidden" benefit of RAP doesn't seem to get mentioned much, On the likes of Wicker Man or Hex (when it returns) it's even more substantial as you won't even be off the ride for a good 10-15 minutes after the host marks your card (assuming they do), which immediately offsets quite a chunk of your waiting time without you needing to do anything. This sort of advantage would also be present if they ever go over to a digital virtual queue style system where you pick a ride and are given a return time based on the standby queue. These systems almost always allow you to reserve your the next ride as soon as you scan in at the entrance/merge point of your current ride - Europa's virtual line system can be used in this way if you're lucky with availability.

Yeah the "hidden" benefit of RAP doesn't seem to get mentioned much, On the likes of Wicker Man or Hex (when it returns) it's even more substantial as you won't even be off the ride for a good 10-15 minutes after the host marks your card (assuming they do), which immediately offsets quite a chunk of your waiting time without you needing to do anything. This sort of advantage would also be present if they ever go over to a digital virtual queue style system where you pick a ride and are given a return time based on the standby queue. These systems almost always allow you to reserve your the next ride as soon as you scan in at the entrance/merge point of your current ride - Europa's virtual line system can be used in this way if you're lucky with availability.
As can Liseberg's....

Like you say, true of any virtual queue system and there's not really an easy way around it.

One way in which you could get around it, in theory, is to add some “ride time” and/or “walking time” from the last attraction on top of the amount of time that the queue takes.

That is very hard to enforce, however, as each ride has a different “ride time”, and “walking time” is different for different people as well. Maybe if they went for an average of each, things would balance themselves out?

Smiler Disabled and FT queues were so long they made a mass of people almost back to the bottom of the steps of the entrance. When we did SRQ the entrance host had to come down and sort out the mess to get people in to queues

Do wonder why Towers (and Thorpe) haven't quickly jumped on the digital system that Chessington and Legoland use. Can only assume it's due to poor wifi coverage across park.

Saw this in action at CWOA at the weekend

Utterly farcical

70% to full trains on terror tomb used for RAP, loaded on prior to the main station.

As embarrassing as it was infuriating

Whatever the bar/setup is at Merlin at the moment it’s not working.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.