• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I know this is going to **** a lot of people off, but I think the only solution to the RAP problem is the German option: If you can't queue, tough poop. Suck it up and queue, or go somewhere else where you won't be ruining our throughputs.
I won't be quite as direct as Diogo... but it is quite interesting to talk to people who use RAP at Merlin parks because they "can't queue" yet at German parks (or any other park that doesn't offer such a scheme, for that matter) they suck it up and "manage".

Which brings me back to where I started, whereby I think people use RAP because it's there, rather than because they 'need' it - which ultimately means the whole thing no longer serves its intended purpose because it doesn't work at scale.

Sadly, I see too many people on social media referring to the RAP as a free fast track.

Welcome to our world

It does wind's Jess and myself up too. The real losers are those that genuinely need the access that the system was put in place for in the first place. Jess can't use the rides so the RAP don't affect her, but welcome to our day to day world unable to access places due to the fact that the disable access is being used by non disable people. Blue badge bays and toilets can be a real problem. Imagine the stress we have visiting the hospital and not being able to get a wheelchair access parking bay not knowing when one will become free and if we will get one in time for the hospital appointment. And while we are waiting, we see other blue badge users using the normal empty bays. Our thoughts are if you can park in a normal bay and get out and walk the distant, then you don't need your blue badge taking up essential bays that could be kept free for those that can't genuinely use the normal bays.

Same with disable toilets. The amount of times people try and get into the disable toilet when we are using it, but when we emerge, there is no one there waiting to get in.

There was a similar debate on the Merlin additional needs FB page regarding someone with a nut allergy using the RAP on the basis that if they suddenly need medical attention, that the paramedics would be able to get to them quicker in the RAP queue as oppose to the main queue.

The same could be said for someone who has epilepsy, they might suddenly need medical attention.

However you could also argue the fact, what happens if they suddenly need medical attention whilst on a ride or have a fit on the ride?

Unfortunately, there are people that obtain Blue badges by lying on their forms as well as obtaining fake ones.

What you said is very similar to a conversation I had with somebody I work with who has a disabled son

They were planning a family day out to flamingo land and I mentioned the RAP system at AT and said he should look into if they had something in place

But as it's a bug bear of mine I went into a bit of a rant about it

He said the Same things as you about parking bays,toilets and also mentioned how people look around as to hold a door open...see the wheelchair and let go of it

Saying it's people taking the p*** that gives genuine disabled people a bad name and he sometimes bears the brunt of it

Something needs doing about RAP ...I honestly don't know what because if I'm honest I tend to steer clear on busy days and maybe don't notice it

But standing in the guest services queue and then being refused back end of th13teen very early in the day because they were saving the back 8 seats for 'disabled' really brought it to my attention

What you said is very similar to a conversation I had with somebody I work with who has a disabled son

They were planning a family day out to flamingo land and I mentioned the RAP system at AT and said he should look into if they had something in place

But as it's a bug bear of mine I went into a bit of a rant about it

He said the Same things as you about parking bays,toilets and also mentioned how people look around as to hold a door open...see the wheelchair and let go of it

Saying it's people taking the p*** that gives genuine disabled people a bad name and he sometimes bears the brunt of it

Something needs doing about RAP ...I honestly don't know what because if I'm honest I tend to steer clear on busy days and maybe don't notice it

But standing in the guest services queue and then being refused back end of th13teen very early in the day because they were saving the back 8 seats for 'disabled' really brought it to my attention
It should only ever be the back four as it's rap user+3.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

The reason I've got the RAP over the years is because I can get distressed in long queues. However, being an enthusiast and into the technical side, I like to watch the ride go around, which makes it easier. Now I'm older I've got better with queueing so don't need to use the RAP as much.

I take it it isn't always the actual length of the queue that's the issue?
No, it can be how slow it's moving or how close we're squashed up with strangers.

The reason I've got the RAP over the years is because I can get distressed in long queues. However, being an enthusiast and into the technical side, I like to watch the ride go around, which makes it easier. Now I'm older I've got better with queueing so do't need to use the RAP as much.

No, it can be how slow it's moving or how close we're squashed up with strangers.
So It's not just me who doesn't have an issue with the actual length itself :)

Yeah, people might think that we just don't want to have to wait in a long queue, but it's not as simple as that. If i'm in a long queue that's moving quickly, that fine, but if it's stood still for 5 mins then moves at a snails pace that's when I can get distressed.

Last edited:
Yeah, people might think that we just don't want to have to wait in a long queue, but it's not as simple as that. If i'm in a long queue that's moving quickly, that fine, but if it's stood still for 5 mins then moves at a snails pace that's when i can get distressed.
Because it's not the queue it's the people.

It should only ever be the back four as it's rap user+3.
Quite, but because so many people are using the system they have been loading 2 RAP users with up to three guests each to ensure the RAP queue doesn't develop the characteristics that you both describe as reasons you can't be in the main queue.

Yeah, people might think that we just don't want to have to wait in a long queue, but it's not as simple as that. If i'm in a long queue that's moving quickly, that fine, but if it's stood still for 5 mins then moves at a snails pace that's when i can get distressed.
This is where i think virtually queuing could play a role, because the way the system is designed (and run!) at the moment it does reduce queue time which makes it more attractive and less effective.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I cannot wait for qsmart to be brought out and followed correctly.
No more rap not being timed out.

Technially Alton's system uses a virtual queue, as at each ride you get a time for your next one based on the current queue time. Seriosly though, a fully virtual, hard-to-abuse system is much needed, not to mention overdue.

Technially Alton's system uses a virtual queue, as at each ride you get a time for your next one based on the current queue time.
If staff actually remember to time people out, quite often it acts as platinum fast track with a plus 3 because staff are not following the rules..

How and when did the RAP system change?

Back in the early 2000s we used to get the occasional disabled guest with a red wristband and up to two minders with blue wristbands wait at the ride exit. We'd load them onto the next train. After they'd got off it would probably be about 5 minutes before another disabled group would arrive. There was none of this queuing that you see now.

I'm not sure what the criteria was but it seems like it was more strict in those days?

How and when did the RAP system change?

Back in the early 2000s we used to get the occasional disabled guest with a red wristband and up to two minders with blue wristbands wait at the ride exit. We'd load them onto the next train. After they'd got off it would probably be about 5 minutes before another disabled group would arrive. There was none of this queuing that you see now.

I'm not sure what the criteria was but it seems like it was more strict in those days?
Or there were less people abusing the system.

The system was technically more open to abuse then. As I understand it there's now a time period you're meant to wait. In those days you could get off and wait at the exit immediately, if you desired.

How did the current system, which is technically fairer, result in more abuse? I don't believe it's just an entitlement culture alone.

The system was technically more open to abuse then. As I understand it there's now a time period you're meant to wait. In those days you could get off and wait at the exit immediately, if you desired.

How did the current system, which is technically fairer, result in more abuse?
Because staff aren't motivated enough to follow the rules.

Yes, but that's my point. In 2000 there were no rules. You could reride immediately, yet the scale of abuse is now significantly worse?

I believe that conditions such as anxiety and similar things are way more known about in the minds of the general public nowadays compared with, say, around 10-15 years ago, and I'd bet the amount of people diagnosed with such conditions has also rocketed too. It's probably also a lot easier nowadays with the internet to find out that if you get a letter off the doctor about having such things that you can skip the queues at Alton Towers if you want to.

I really hate queueing and havn't queued for any ride at Alton for over 20 minutes in many years, I just choose not to ride instead as queueing does my head in so much. Bad luck for me. I also try to get back near home in the car before the rush hour traffic sets in as I hate sitting in traffic even more than standing in a queue. So again, bad luck for me as I have to cut my day short whenever I'm out. I don't expect the highways agency to make special measures for me to get past the traffic, before letting everyone else continue their journey just because sitting in traffic does my head in a little more than the average person. But that's just me.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.