• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I find it amusing that in this thread we've got people using RAP with people with physical disabilities trying to get those without physical disabilities out of the RAP queue, whilst at the same time people accompanying those with non-physical disabilities are trying to get wheelchair users out of the RAP queue.

I find it amusing that in this thread we've got people using RAP with people with physical disabilities trying to get those without physical disabilities out of the RAP queue, whilst at the same time people accompanying those with non-physical disabilities are trying to get wheelchair users out of the RAP queue.

I don't think that's amusing, i think having wheelchair access as a standard is an aspiration

I don't think you've quite grasped the point I was trying to make. Besides, RAP was clearly originally devised for people with physical disabilities - the queue lines aren't close to being accessible on many rides.

Ironically, a few years ago they added an "accessible" entrance to the CCL skyride station, one of the few queue lines in the park you could actually get a wheelchair through. In the process, they reduced width of both the main and accessible queue line, making it less accessible for wheelchairs in the process.

Last edited:
I don't think you've quite grasped the point I was trying to make. Besides, RAP was clearly originally devised for people with physical disabilities - the queue lines aren't close to being accessible on many rides.

Ironically, a few years ago they added an "accessible" entrance to the CCL skyride station, one of the few queue lines in the park you could actually get a wheelchair through. In the process, they reduced width of both the main and accessible queue line, making it less accessible for wheelchairs in the process.
What's your thoughts on rides like The SMILER where rap is split between two entrances?

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

The queue lines aren't but could be easily changed. This would be a good adjustment, a step forward forstandard access and reduce rap and give the same access to people with mobility issues as average customers.

I did grasp your point and it would be better if disability was just that and not typed but there is a lack of understanding on both sides. Read the comments on any thread about the new blue badge regs, it's apparent. I don't like to get involved in disability top trumps, it's not a game I want to win.

They cannot and will not retrospectively make the queue lines fully accessible, it simply isn't practical. What's a wheelchair user supposed to do on (say) Oblivion when they get to the station via the main queue? It just doesn't work in any practical sense - RAP is the reasonable adjustment to allow access to as many people as possible (obviously with some limitations due to H&S etc).

As things stand, I think the number of people using RAP who can't physically navigate the main queue isn't actually that high and removing them from the RAP queues wouldn't really help the situation all that much anyway, certainly on the likes of Smiler and Rita which both have (seemingly) little used lifts but can get long RAP queues.

What's your thoughts on rides like The SMILER where rap is split between two entrances?
Its a total mess, hardly a surprise though given the total disaster the whole queue situation is on it. There should be one RAP entrance that's actually accessible.

Read the comments on any thread about the new blue badge regs, it's apparent.

Here are the new criteria for blue badges which comes into effect 30th Aug 2019 .

From this date the assessed criteria will now be that a person who has been certified by an expert assessor as having an enduring and substantial disability which causes them, during the course of a journey, to—

• be unable to walk;
  • experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; or
  • be at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person;

The queue lines aren't but could be easily changed. This would be a good adjustment, a step forward forstandard access and reduce rap and give the same access to people with mobility issues as average customers.

The reason why wheelchair users use the exit is because you usually enter the station on the opposite side of the track. There is no means for lifting a wheelchair across the track, which means that if a wheelchair user uses the main queue line, then they will need to exit via the main queue line in a contraflow manner through the crowds. This is where Legoland is different, you board and disembark the rides on the same side.....

...and why can't your views apply the same to those with hidden disabilities, if they were to use the normal queue line they too can be given the same access as average customers :rolleyes:

Here are the new criteria for blue badges which comes into effect 30th Aug 2019 .

My

The reason why wheelchair users use the exit is because you usually enter the station on the opposite side of the track. There is no means for lifting a wheelchair across the track, which means that if a wheelchair user uses the main queue line, then they will need to exit via the main queue line in a contraflow manner through the crowds. This is where Legoland is different, you board and disembark the rides on the same side.....

...and why can't your views apply the same to those with hidden disabilities, if they were to use the normal queue line they too can be given the same access as average customers :rolleyes:

I can't see it being that hard to retrofit a ramp for wheelchair only users to exit on the loading side, if they were widening the queues and providing benches.

My views are that everywhere where it is possible should be wheelchair friendly. The more the better, it should be the norm across society. This is selfish as it would benefit us generally as kiddo uses a wheelchair also.

It is difficult to make accommodations for hidden disabilities In the same way. There aren't many physical accommodations that can be made for people who have learning disabilities which can allow access in the same way that wider queues, ramps and benches could give access to people with mobility problems alone. The other issue with behavioural problems is the effect of those who don't understand making comment/ passing judgement or the effect on them as they are not used to being around that sort of behaviour and feel uncomfortable. From experience the general public are more accepting of a wheelchair user than someone with a behavioural issue.

Last edited:
I can't see it being that hard to retrofit a ramp for wheelchair only users to exit on the loading side, if they were widening the queues and providing benches.
wider queues,
On most rides there simply isn't any space to put in such a ramp, as they were never designed for it.

The problem with wider queues, is that it encourages queuejumping. The best queue I've ever stood in was for BPB's Wild Mouse (RIP). It had walls that went all the way up to the roof, was only about 18 inches wide, and a tight squeeze for a fatty like me. But NO bugger was getting past me!
Build any queue wide enough for two people to pass, and some idiot will think this means they are supposed to overtake. Were it up to me, I'd inforce a maximum width of 2 feet in all queues, with proper, solid, unclimbable walls.
No, this is not discrimination. RAP would still exist for those who can't get their chair through my jump-proof queues.

On most rides there simply isn't any space to put in such a ramp, as they were never designed for it.

The problem with wider queues, is that it encourages queuejumping. The best queue I've ever stood in was for BPB's Wild Mouse (RIP). It had walls that went all the way up to the roof, was only about 18 inches wide, and a tight squeeze for a fatty like me. But NO bugger was getting past me!
Build any queue wide enough for two people to pass, and some idiot will think this means they are supposed to overtake. Were it up to me, I'd inforce a maximum width of 2 feet in all queues, with proper, solid, unclimbable walls.
No, this is not discrimination. RAP would still exist for those who can't get their chair through my jump-proof queues.
Good idea but claustrophobia would be an issue, resulting in more people using the RAP. :p

I think as some point they need to just say. This ride is just not suitable for disabled. Bit like this ride is not assessable to very fat people o_O

Equality Act presumably says no to this, but as most disabilities don't actually stop people from going on rides (i.e. can self support and evacuate with assistance if required) then a flat out no disabled people can ride is asking for trouble...

Exceptions to this are generally amputees, but that is down to self support; and in the case of Intamins potentially being flung out...

Equality Act presumably says no to this, but as most disabilities don't actually stop people from going on rides (i.e. can self support and evacuate with assistance if required) then a flat out no disabled people can ride is asking for trouble...

Exceptions to this are generally amputees, but that is down to self support; and in the case of Intamins potentially being flung out...
So does the UK press in its entirety.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

No not all disable. But there needs to be a cutoff point.
Merlin has in their other parks
5ylTn83_d.jpg

https://www.gardaland.it/media/1239427/guida-per-ospiti-con-limitazioni-motorie-2019_en.pdf

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.