Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Skyscraper, 1st Apr 2018.

1. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Interesting. So Disney's focus on accessible queueing is kind of the opposite to UK parks?

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

In my experience there’s only 4 rides at Disney world where I can’t go down the standby queue plus one more that I wouldn’t call wheelchair accessible but Disney do.

3. I remember going to Disney/Universal back in the 1990s before everyone and their mother caught on to the fact that having a "condition" would get you easier access to the ride. On a trip my gran hired a scooter as she injured her leg. We went to the disabled access entrance and got in after a short wait. I remember once my granfather waiting outside Kong with his walking stick and he said one of the people working there went over to show him to the disabled entrance to get on the ride even though he wasn't in line and didn't want to go on the ride.

At no point did they need any access card. I guess there wasn't lots of kids having "meltdowns" in queue or people fake hiring wheelchairs/scooters in those days.

Skyscraper likes this.
  4. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

DLP have two tiers, which are basically a "temporary" and a "permanent" disability (temporary tends to lean towards those in casts).

I can't speak much for the American ones, but DLP has a few wheelchair entrances for their rides (BTM especially has a weird one up the exit and waits on one platform), whilst the newer stuff like Tower and Ratatouille use the Fastpass entrances.

California seemed to be a mix (mostly as the older attractions would need retrofit queues), however most of their advice was that you could use Fastpass as well as DAS (which is really playing the game when you can pay extra to book Fastpass on your phone, which I would've done purely because trying to get wheelchairs to Fastpass distribution points is a nightmare).

Dunno if Disney have done to stop the abuse that was fairly prevalent a few years ago. But other parks don't have a time system at all and yet don't seem to struggle with long queues. It could be a culture thing.

Skyscraper likes this.
  5. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

Disneyland certainly went on a clamp down on people who were playing the access system, but they did have a small economy starting of people hiring out their services. Last time I went there was essentially a holding pen in a shaded area underneath Space Mountain where those with mobility issues would wait the stated queue time.

At Disney World, practically all queues are wide enough to accept a motorised chair.

jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
  6. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I think that’s true if it's done in a way that makes it particularly obvious and therefore potentially problematic.

There are a ton of ways you can subtly manage a queue so that people are unaware where others have 'come from'. Merlin aren't great at this - particularly where RAP/Fastrack has been implemented post opening. The best example is probably Wicker Man - when you're in the pre-show you've no understanding which route people have taken, whether it be RAP, FT or Standby.

The way Merlin don't enforce their own rules and the numbers of people using the current RAP system, it is essentially free Fastrack for a not insignificant number of guests.

Swarm Chris likes this.
  7. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Not sure what you mean.

But in the US they can't ask for proof of disability, so they ask what accommodations are needed. If the issue is someone can't stand up for long, then they can rent a wheelchair or scooter and use most lines as normal, although some rides have seperate ramped access. As far as I know no pass is required as the entrance host can see the wheelchair/scooter etc.

If the issue is someone cannot cope with being in a queue (usually due to autism related issues) they get a pass (on the Disneyworld App) that gets scanned at ride entrances so they can return after the queue time has elapsed (or if the wait is under 10 minutes ride immediately) via the Fastpass entrance. This can be used with the pre-booked Fastpass system.

The system was changed about five years ago or longer to this timed as there was widespread abuse with people hiring people to get quicker access to rides

Here is some info from when the new system launched https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/disa...2013-disability-access-service-(das)-card.htm

Last edited: 9th Nov 2020
    Swarm Chris and Skyscraper like this.