• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Education social worker, qualified, in residence at times sadly, for 23 years...mainly nineties doing good work, cuts hell after...
As I said originally, CAMHS was massively oversubscribed even back then, and getting a statement of needs was also a five year fruitless exercise for many parents.
Edit...And as far as extra classroom support for children with additional needs is concerned, I'd say classroom provision back in the nineties was far better than now in many schools.
The additional support that was there seems to be gone in so many classes.

Sorry, I wasn't questioning your professional experience. My bad, poorly worded reply.

My point was that outdated terminologies may have been ditched in some settings. But in the education system it was very much alive and kicking. From my experience things got much better in the 90s, but that may have been more due to my changing circumstances.

I still need to collect my new RAP photocard that I applied for last year (which my dad helped word), but if it were up to me, I wouldn't. With the RAP queues becoming longer than the regular lines these days, I'd just prefer to use the latter now. I'm hoping to go on a quiet day sometime this year anyway, (preferably soon as I'm itching to lap TCAAM, but it's finding someone to go with) so that I don't need to use it and can do plenty of rides without the stress.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say at this stage that Merlin's RAP system is making queuing a misery for everyone.
Indeed, and because it's been going on for so long they're stuck between a rock and a hard place so-to-speak if they want to do anything

I do think the best (and really only) option is changing to the mobile-based Reserve And Ride system that Chessy and LL use.

How can people recieve RAP if they haven't got any conditions. I've heard a lot of people bragging about Rap saying they 'skip the lines for free'. Surely these people don't have any conditions if they are saying stuff like that. Towers need to prevent these types of people from gaining access and taking advantage of the system

How can people recieve RAP if they haven't got any conditions. I've heard a lot of people bragging about Rap saying they 'skip the lines for free'. Surely these people don't have any conditions if they are saying stuff like that. Towers need to prevent these types of people from gaining access and taking advantage of the system
Autism is subjective isn't it? I believe a lot of people probably appear on the spectrum without even realising it or not being diagnosed until later in life. If you walk into a doctors and say "I'm incapable of queuing" They can't really argue it can they?
People may disagree with me but I believe that this access pass should be reserved for people who cannot physically stand or negotiate steps/bad terrain for a long period of time. If these RAP queues are getting longer these people "Not able to queue" must be queuing.
It's a shame for the people that aren't physically able to queue, I feel for them, it probably ruins their day.

The issue they need to address is that RAP as designed doesn't or shouldn't allow anyone to skip the line, just wait it out elsewhere. If the queue time says 60 minutes, the RAP user should need to come back 60 minutes later and then ride. Unfortunately AT is not enforcing that properly.

Part of the lack of enforcement comes down to ride hosts not wanting (or getting paid enough) to deal with the aggressive guests who believe they make the rules of the system - not the parks. I enforced it religiously years ago, but I'd observe members of my team get one snarky comment from a guest and they'd give up enforcing it.

Some of the comments I've seen year after year in the Merlin Annual Passholders Additional Needs Discussion Group on Facebook actively encourage guests to put their foot down to staff, even if they are the ones in the wrong. When you're an 18-year-old ride host in your first or seasonal role, and you are being aggressively pressured by a screaming parent, particularly in front of other guests, it can be intimidating and soul-crushing. Yet, some RAP users actively encourage this to others.

It really does need to be done virtually. I suspect it would soon weed out those abusing the system.

Part of the lack of enforcement comes down to ride hosts not wanting (or getting paid enough) to deal with the aggressive guests who believe they make the rules of the system - not the parks. I enforced it religiously years ago, but I'd observe members of my team get one snarky comment from a guest and they'd give up enforcing it.

Some of the comments I've seen year after year in the Merlin Annual Passholders Additional Needs Discussion Group on Facebook actively encourage guests to put their foot down to staff, even if they are the ones in the wrong. When you're an 18-year-old ride host in your first or seasonal role, and you are being aggressively pressured by a screaming parent, particularly in front of other guests, it can be intimidating and soul-crushing. Yet, some RAP users actively encourage this to others.

It really does need to be done virtually. I suspect it would soon weed out those abusing the system.

This is fairly right. People taking advantage and essentially abusing staff to get their way. Takes a lot to stand up to someone who's usually bigger than you and your job is often at risk (whether or not you're in the right).

Sad that those who allegedly require it will abuse the system designed to assist them.

Said this numerous times before but how much of a low life delinquent do you need to be to pretend you need this pass? There's some truly awful people in this country.
There are people who pretend not being able to work so you best believe there are people willing to skip queuing for a ride at a themepark. The only way you'll fix this I believe is it being based on the physical disability.

There are people who pretend not being able to work so you best believe there are people willing to skip queuing for a ride at a themepark. The only way you'll fix this I believe is it being based on the physical disability.
But what would you do about folk who have hidden disabilities? Not every disability is visible, and there are plenty of folk with legitimate hidden disabilities who cannot queue traditionally or find traditional queueing deeply uncomfortable for whatever reason, and they need catering to in this day and age.

It is a difficult conundrum, but the world has changed and become more inclusive, so I’m afraid that simply forgetting that folk with hidden disabilities exist will not go well.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.