• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability 2018

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If customer satisfaction KPIs are still good, which I believe come from the touch pads around the Resort, then Merlin are unlikely to see a major problem.

Anyway, is it just me who is eagerly awaiting to see whether or not Nemesis opens at 11am!? :p

EDIT:

And it has, although the Rapids and Heave Ho remain down.

:)

Last edited:
There lies a problem in itself. How many times do parents allow children to fill in Ipads/touch pads and such things? It's often considered to be fun for them, so they are of course going to be pleased during a day at a place like Alton Towers.

Where as the adults who are having a hard time trying to see the value for money in their day out are either going to go directly to guest services or are going to complain later via some other medium that doesn't require yet another queue.

My point tho is don’t rely on the app on Monday RMT rapids thirteen and spinball were showing as available yet not open for at least an hour till after they were meant to be and rapids never had any intention of opening but showed as available from 11 till 5 monday

If customer satisfaction KPIs are still good, which I believe come from the touch pads around the Resort, then Merlin are unlikely to see a major problem.

Anyway, is it just me who is eagerly awaiting to see whether or not Nemesis opens at 11am!? :p

I’ve said elsewhere but if Merlin genuinely cared what customers thought then the touchscreens would be in queue lines as well. They would get a years worth of feedback in one day :)

If they're the same as the ones at Thorpe Park, they won't let you leave satisfaction (or lack of!) before 1pm, so anyone majorly cheesed off enough to leave that early can't say so.

Going by most of this thread, and today's pathetic show by Thorpe Park with zero coasters (except flying fish) opened by 12:30 (besides Stealth for 3 laps before closing again) they might as well just sell off all their coasters if they can't be bothered to open them.

Looks like wicker man has managed to stay up for most of the day!
I think you spoke to soon.... ;)

Going by most of this thread, and today's pathetic show by Thorpe Park with zero coasters (except flying fish) opened by 12:30 (besides Stealth for 3 laps before closing again) they might as well just sell off all their coasters if they can't be bothered to open them.
Surely there have got to be technical reasons as to why they aren't opeing the coasters?

Last edited by a moderator:

I was at Thorpe yesterday and all of the coasters were running. Saw didn't open until about 2pm and Swarm and Nemesis Inferno were on a single train operation but apart from that they were all available all day.

Surely there have got to be technical reasons as to why they aren't opeing the coasters?
It's probably a mixture of new staff and them being terrified of opening rides in "bad weather" (calm, reasonable temperature (about 9C) and a bit of rain). They were all testing but just didn't open until well after we'd left. If they'd finished messing with X at least we could have tried that as it's indoor, although being indoor didn't stop DBGT being delayed.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better, the rain is forecast later in the day.

It may not all be to do with the ride's staff though; the Health & Safety team and Management may also have something to do with it.

Was onsite yesterday. Ride availability was in short, abysmal. The Smiler and Oblivion seemed to be fairly reliable throughout the day, along with, for the most part, Galactica, albeit with a much reduced throughput due to it operating on a one station service and the poorly thought out left-right system in the station itself. Spinball Whizzer was down for roughly an hour, Rita was around an hour late opening and Thirteen decided to break down at midday.

Nemesis, for some reason failed to open at all. Wicker Man only opened at around 14:00, only for it to close around 15 minutes and 3 trains later. It did eventually open and stay open at 15:30, however with multiple test trains sent and many "the train has made an unscheduled stop" announcements in between actual public trains. I'll give Wicker Man the benefit of the doubt with it obviously suffering from the famous Alton Towers "teething troubles" however failing to open your top thrill ride and constant downtime on the others may be a sign that there aren't enough ride technicians to go around.

I hope Nemesis's one remaining train hasn't developed a fault.

It has required major work over the closed season and is currently in pieces. New parts recently arrived from B&M so hopefully they can start getting it back together, test it and put it into service sooner rather than later.

Things seem better today...
13b6ff84d2549b8993ee20a122bd4427.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ooh! Operations must have improved since last week! Nice work, Towers! Nice to see you taking feedback on board!
I don't think it's about feedback.

It's about the minimum expectations which the park want to operate at.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have they improved or was it quieter than opening weekend?

It was probably a mixture of both, ops were OK on Thursday if a little slow, but Friday was abysmal as there were quiet a few people there (the guy on the gate said it was as busy as he'd seen it in a while) but it was still not mega busy (Air car park was not used), then nobody turned up Saturday at any of the parks so it makes it look like operations had improved when in reality there were far fewer people on park Saturday than there was Friday.

Friends were at both Towers and Thorpe both Friday and Saturday and both said the same, far far fewer people on park on the Saturday than Friday.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.