• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Sponsorship

I'd quite like to see sponsorship at the park in the future take on a 'presented by' theme rather than an out and out theme. So for example you'd see Squirrel Nutty presented by Jackson's Oats. The key, as many other members have said is subtlety.

One other thought, just about Tidal Wave, is that those boxes with the Original Source logos on now have Dr Pepper logos, the only change between the two is the roof and the tarmac splash. I wouldn't say it offends me, because although not subtle, it kind of works 'what's the worst that can happen' oddly seems to fit. Or it does in my mind.

In the past events have been sponsored, such as the Dr Pepper Sun Party (Forgotten the proper name, it's the one held at Thorpe Park) would this work as well as ride sponsorship?

One final comment, has anyone ever seen Morgan Spurlock's 'The Greatest Film Ever Sold'? Its a really interesting look at advertising in films and the media. I wonder who makes the first move, Merlin or the sponsor?

Generally, I have no issue with ride sponsorship, provided that it's done tastefully. Something like Imperial Leather's sponsorship of The Flume was, I feel, done quite well. Fanta and Oblivion, on the other hand, was done very poorly - way too garish, and going completely against the tone of the attraction it was supposed to be sponsoring.

I'm the same if the sponsorship works with the ride and theme i have no issue with it. For example the Air Cadbury sponsorship was tasteful and well done. This obviously contrasts with Fanta which affected the ride experience and theming.

It just needs taste, same with IP's really.

The thing with the Fanta sponsorship for me was that it just went TO far.

The idea of using the orange more in the area wasn't a big issue for me. as it fit in with the rides colour scheme. it was the annoying cartoon graphics that went to far for me. all it really needed was the orange used strategical, maybe a couple of subtle Fanta logos around the rehydrator and obviously the on of the top. all the OTT cartoon crap was just to much and detracted from the theme.

Airs sponsorship was done well i always felt. you wouldn't instantly know to look at Air that it was sponsored by Cadburys (Miniature) Heroes but there was plenty of signs around, but it was nice and understated.

the idea of a sponsorship deal isn't to plaster the logo everywhere and hide the whole ride behind a wall of adverts. like a TV show. the little adds before and after the show work because you see them, they are there but they don't affect the program. where as having the sponsors logo in the corner of the screen all the time would just ruin it!

basically Less is More

When Air was sponsored by Miniature Heroes, I always associated the Miniature Heroes with Air, as opposed to the other way round. I think the problem with corporate sponsorship on rides is when the brand takes over the actual ride. I still refer to the Big One at Blackpool as the Pepsi Max, because the sponsorship at the time made me think it was a Pepsi rollercoaster. A ride needs to maintian it's own identiy first and foremost. It's perfectly fine being 'presented' by something, but when it becomes "The [INSERT BRAND] [INSERT ACTUAL NAME OF RIDE]", I start to have issues with it.

I hate ride sponsors, they look very tacky. Glad to see BPB moving away from sponsored rides, Revolution looks so much better now and glad to hear people calling it by it's proper name.

I think in the case of PBB, sponsorship actually worked for them.. Their coasters were never built with a theme or a story surrounding them and therefore the sponsorship provided the coasters with a brand that has become recognisable around the country.

Most people call The Big One the 'Pepsi Max' and lots of people refer to Rev as 'the Irn-Bru one'... If a coaster is built without a theme, a long term sponsor can be a powerful tool for people to remember it buy. Sponsorship doesn't usually work though when it's either placed on an existing ride or one with an immersive theme.