• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rita: not such a bad idea

With my coaster enthusiast hat on, it's the second best coaster in the park. It has a great launch, some pretty powerful airtime and the turn over the Thirteen Queue has some strong positive Gs as well. It's a very good coaster, one of the best in the UK.

However, as a fan of Alton, it's just an attraction that has just never fitted. Ug Land was a brilliant family area. It was open, airy, well themed and felt very balanced and well thought out. It was a demonstration of how you don't need to completely break the bank to create a good theme.

I think this had a lot to do with it being designed as a cohesive area rather than being designed around a new star attraction. Nothing was screaming for attention, every attraction there performed its role perfectly. Its centrepiece wasn't a ride but an interactive tree house which is reminiscent of Disney philosophy.

When Rita was built, all of that planning and balance went out the window. The structure completely dominated the area making it feel cramped and claustrophobic. There was ugly loose article netting everywhere. The launch was built right across the main walkway at the entrance forming that awkward corridor towards the arcade and any remaining space was filled up with wooden queue fencing. It was a mess.

Five years later, Alton had to try and fit Rita into the Dark Forest theme. It's not the type of coaster that lends itself to it and the result is a huge, high tech coaster clearly themed around motor racing with some dirty green paint and turquoise fake ivy added in a weak attempt to tie it in.

Rita was a last minute decision and it shows. Most coasters at Alton look like they belong there. Rita jars with everything that surrounds it and I wish that Alton had held off another year before rushing into buying it. At the time and under the circumstances, an Intamin rocket was the right coaster to get but Rita was the wrong way to go about it.

Spike said:
Rita>Stealth

Always been my view. The launches aren't that dissimilar in feel really, I find the whole top hat thing doesn't add to the ride. The height is nothing exciting, the drop back down is nothing either - Oblivion takes care of that 'Vertical feel' and then it ends. *yawns*

Rita may be 20mph slower but it certainly doesn't feel like it plus it has the added bonus of a little bit more to it. Don't get me wrong Stealth is a great ride but I like a bit more meat on my bone and Rita offers it for me. Stealth does - however - win hands down in the dark. The ride is brilliant in the dark, because it actually is! Unlike Rita which pretty much is drowned in light making the experience no different to being on it in the day.

Both themes are poor in my view and have awful, boring queue lines also.

I always thought Rita's launch felt more powerful, even though it was slowly, it seemed to be a bit rougher and ultimately more punchy for me. This season though, I felt different. I also detest the brake run on Rita, it's horrific, worst of any ride I have been on. Black Hole came close, for obvious reasons to those who used to ride it of a gentlemanly persuasion. I like a bit of rough with my coasters, hence I love the old Boomers etc ;D - but Rita's seems a bit unnecessary.

I don't know if they've toned it down a bit, but it just doesn't seem to have that force now it had before, not far off, but enough to make me prefer Stealths launch - which is to me smoother, and I have always felt that. First time I went on, I came off thinking "Rita's launch feels stronger".

That top hat though? OK it's coasters, very much subjective, and I understand your points Spike - they're fair comments. For me though? I prefer Stealth because I adore that top hat and drop. I will always queue for the front (the middle is actually a bit crap I think) or aim for the slight elevation of row2 - Front Row, in the dark (as you point out), is a hard ride to beat IMO.

A caveat to this though. I went on Rita over FN, then went on Oblivion, quite soon after - the first time I have accidentally compared the "launch" force of both. Checking the stats when I got home confirmed what I'd felt on ride, Blivvy is actually more forceful using simply gravity.

I'd never compared the two like this before, just enjoyed them - that force on Oblivion is about as good as force gets I think. The only thing for me is the ride is so impersonal. The cinema style cars look impressive, but I prefer the intimacy of Nemmy and 2/4 seats.

That's not a fair comparison though, Rita is essentially an out of the box lego build Intamin, and Oblivion the most unique and well themed ride this country has seen. There is STILL nothing like it anywhere that equals that drop tunnel IMO.

I like Rita though, always have, always will - just wish they'd used a better brake run, and actually helped her fit in a bit better!

Just thought I would put in a few figures of acceleration, using the equation: v=u+at (with v being final velocity, u being initial velocity, a being acceleration and t being time).

Rita is 0-61.1 m/h in 2.5 seconds. 61.1 m/h= 27.3 m/s, so:

27.3= 0 + a X 2.5
27.3/2.5=a
a= 10.9 ms^-2

As 9.81 ms^-2=1G of force, Rita's launch is 1.11G.

Stealth is 0-80 m/h in 1.9 seconds. 80 m/h= 35.8 m/s

35.8= 0 + a X 1.9
35.8/1.9= a
a= 18.8 ms^-2

That means an force of 1.92 G.

Oblivion will be slightly lower than 1G (1G is free-fall due to gravity), possibly around 0.9G, as there is friction, air resistance, and the not quite vertical drop to contend with.

So Oblivion- 0.9G
Rita- 1.11 G
Stealth- 1.92 G

Therefore, Stealth's launch is, by theory much stronger.

Now, away from physics mode, I think Stealth's launch is much, much stronger than Rita's. The force from Oblivion, I assume TheMan, you mean is possibly the negative G's of the pull-in to the drop, which is very powerful.

Away from the acceleration, I enjoy Rita much more than Stealth, although I don't think Rita's that great at all. There's a limited amount of air-time, which is too gradual a transition from positive to negative G's (due to the tree height limit, and therefore, having a high radius at the top of the hill), but the positive G's are good. It was a lazy layout, but it's still thrilling enough for me, and I think that it is worthwhile. The queue and theming is awful though.

I couldn't help but nerd this topic out, if there's anything you don't understand, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Just thought I should point out that all of these calculations assume constant acceleration which is definitely not the case when it comes to rocket coasters.

:eek:

This is great guys hahaha - I think CGM is right, good spot!! It will most definitely be a curved acceleration not linear!

Easiest way to think of rocket coaster acceleration is throwing a ball, the initial force being translated into kinetic energy

Example here

The above example gives the formula for constant deceleration, but it's the linear point - the below, shows the changing acceleration curve.

Velocity-Time-Graph-Changing-Acceleration.gif

The G-Force will therefore be related to how quickly it attains the speed upon the curve. That should not make any real difference to Rita Vs Stealth - as it's Apples V Apples, but may well change Rita V Oblivion stats considerably.

I have to say though, I'm no expert on G Forces - but what Nick says RE: Blivvy also makes sense.

So Nick, good effort, but take those calcs away and come back with a formula for curved not linear acceleration lol!

;D

You guys make me laugh man!

You can't compare Rita and Oblivion's accelerations any way, they're acting in completely different planes and we have much different tolerances to them. Eyes-in G is very different to G force as a result of free falling.

Blaze said:
You can't compare Rita and Oblivion's accelerations any way, they're acting in completely different planes and we have much different tolerances to them. Eyes-in G is very different to G force as a result of free falling.

To be fair, I was talking subjectively about how forceful the ride felt - force is force, whether -G +G G-strings - you feel it. I wasn't going to get into all physics calculations lol!!

Rita felt as if it was a bit less powerful this year, Stealth's launch whilst quicker felt smoother - this has not been disproved by those calculations either by the way. It's highly possibly that Rita has a different velocity over time curve to Stealth, leading obviously to a higher force over a shorter period of time.

Then I noted, how much more force I felt exerted upon my personage by Oblivion's drop, different obviously, but none the less a more intense feeling.

Well I was just trying to place a figure for constant acceleration, trying to work out the actual acceleration would be mad.

Still, I think Stealth's launch is much stronger anyway- just by personal opinion.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of Rita. Launch rides scare the crap outta me because I hate the moment of not knowing when you'll be fired out of the station.

Therefore when I rode it this year after avoiding it the year before I was a bit wary and nervous. However, something strange happened... I loved the launch but after the first turn I just felt bored. Very bored. Like the entire thing was a waste of time bar the launch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Rita's not a bad coaster in terms of layout, but it was just plonked there with little regard to anything else. The launch is intense, which I don't mind, but I find that my head hits the restraints an awful lot, which spoils the experience for me.

I understand that it may not be in the best of locations, but I don't understand why everyone hates it so much. It's an extremely fun ride where everyone comes off laughing and or crying, and I have never seen anyone come and say 'that was crap'. I love Rita, it's one of the rides I have to go on every time I visit and it's very popular with the other guests.

Nick said:
Well I was just trying to place a figure for constant acceleration, trying to work out the actual acceleration would be mad.

Still, I think Stealth's launch is much stronger anyway- just by personal opinion.

Well it will be overall as it goes faster, much quicker - 33% faster in 20% less time! I love it too, by the way, it's a close tie between that and Blivvy as my fave (Nemmy is always up there).

What I meant was, Rita just felt more intense before - hard to explain, possibly a bit rougher and therefore, a more aggressive, Stealth is exceptionally smooth at launch and feels constant up to max speed. This year though, I don't know, Rita felt like she lost a bit of grunt!

I also though, must agree with Brighty (happening alot lately that ha-ha!)

mrbrightside said:
I loved the launch but after the first turn I just felt bored. Very bored. Like the entire thing was a waste of time bar the launch...

Whilst I did pap it both On Rita a bit, and DEFINITELY on Stealthy lol, I adore those launches but Rita after the launch is altogether a bit boring.

And I must be the only one who detests that brake run, I brace for it now, but it just hurts! Technology is such now there is just no need for it. It's lazy design to have one that forceful and unnecessary.

Rita over all, has been treated lazily and it shows - and it shouldn't have been, as these Rockets are magnificent when done properly. The thrill they provide being completely unique and unparalleled.

mrbrightside said:
I have to say that I'm not a fan of Rita. Launch rides scare the crap outta me because I hate the moment of not knowing when you'll be fired out of the station.

Therefore when I rode it this year after avoiding it the year before I was a bit wary and nervous. However, something strange happened... I loved the launch but after the first turn I just felt bored. Very bored. Like the entire thing was a waste of time bar the launch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

You just need to wait for the drive tires to retract and you feel the train move back a tiny bit. Then you know you're very close to launch. Also the audio gives it away somewhat. :)

I love it when the audio and lights are out of sync!!

Adds to that, oh man, when!! Feeling :)

It's fun anticipation.

Makes you wonder how amazing an Intamin launch coaster at Alton Towers could have been if they had existed in the 1990's. One can dream. :p

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Makes you wonder how amazing an Intamin launch coaster at Alton Towers could have been if they had existed in the 1990's. One can dream. :p

They'd have dug a 200 ft Top Hat into the ground!

The trouble with Intamin's Accelerator coasters is that their launch is by far their greatest strength. Once you're got so much explosive speed what do you do with it and more importantly how do you make the rest of the ride just as exciting as those first few seconds?

This is why I actually prefer LSM launches such as those found on Maverick or Blue Fire. The launches themselves aren't especially spectacular but after that initial kick they keep accelerating down the rest of the launch run. The effect is a bit like starting a film with an action sequence; you get a good punchy start but at the same time it feels like it is building up to something even better later on. Plus you can always add another launch section later on ;)

With the Accelerators the start is undoubtedly the highlight. So they can do what Stealth (or Oblivion) does and just end while that initial sensation is still in your mind or attempt to follow up with an interesting layout like Rita. In Rita’s defence the layout isn’t too bad, it could have been a lot better if they hadn’t stuck to a race track figure of eight which only highlights the continues loss of speed, but there is at least some force to it. But I still prefer Stealth as it puts more emphasis on that initial moment.

Rita has grown on me since her initial installation, (however I still think its a ridiculous name for a coaster), but there are a couple of issues I still have.

The ride is pretty solid, its enjoyable and the launch is pretty unique on the park. But the queue is unforgivable, if its ever over 30mins I wont bother, as its such a confined, depressing area it ruins any enjoyment of the ride for me.
I was hoping that when it got the Dark Forrest makeover the queue line would be amended to utilise the space better, sadly it didnt happen.
Then with the whole rule of not being able to queue under the launch I was hoping the queue might be changed and perhaps wrap around the back of the ride and out that way, but is seems this isnt to be either.

Its a good ride, marred by a silly queue.