• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Robot Wars returns!

I am amazed by just how much controversy Robot Wars managed to create for what was quite a straight forward, light-hearted programme.

There was Tornado's anti-Razer frame which really cast a shadow over that year's final. Then there was Typhoon 2 vs Storm 2 where Storm 2 obviously won but the judge's decision went the other way. If the rumours are to be believed, this was largely for political reasons. Apparently Mentorn didn't want another box on wheels winning.

Last edited:
The fight with Storm 2 and Typhoon, and possible The 7th Wars as a whole was probably some of the most blatant producer meddling ever seen. As far as I'm aware the producers didn't want another box on wheels, eg Storm 2, to win the tournament after Tornado won so they tried many ways as possible to get Storm 2 to lose! It was such a farce note to end the show on and we can only hope that we won't see any producer meddling for the reboot, though I won't hold my breath for that...

You'll find a bit more info about it here.

In gaming terms Hypnodisc was 'op'. It was a cracking robot though, loved watching it disembowel robots :cool:

In gaming terms Hypnodisc was 'op'. It was a cracking robot though, loved watching it disembowel robots :cool:
Only in it's first season though. The year after, people learnt to build better armour.

Sorry, but could you translate "op" for an old git.
I gave up (non arcade) gaming with the PS2

I must add (completely off topic) the Arcade Club In Bury (Greater Manchester) is magnificent for 80's arcade games & pinball.

Hey,
I managed to type a whole firking line without the enter key.
Putty medal please Diogo.

OP = Over Powered. What people who suck moan about when they get beaten by someone better than them. ;)

I hope that they are working on sgt bash for the second series. although i think refbot will not be happy if he returns

If this series is a success, then I can see Sgt Bash returning, and possibly Mr Psycho and Growler. Not Cassius Chrome, though. He was flipping useless. :p

Technology has moved on. The rules need to be updated. It is time to scrap all the "no pyro" / "no unteathered projectiles" rubbish and simplfy it to basic weight catagories. This means, of course that there is no reason you could not rig up an RC system in a Challenger 2 tank and send it in to the arena! :D
..... I wonder, are there any rules against electronic jamming?

There were rules against it when it was originally on, I believe. Wouldn't surprise me if that's implemented again for this series.

The "no pyro" / "no unteathered projectiles" rules are in place for the protection of the humans in the areas outside the ring.

Bah! No fun! :(

Besides, the humans are behind three inches of bullet proof Makrolon. They'll live.

If this series is a success, then I can see Sgt Bash returning, and possibly Mr Psycho and Growler. Not Cassius Chrome, though. He was flipping useless. :p

My Psycho was trying to be hard to be Killalot and his hammer was always useless as it seemed to bounce of competing robots, wouldn't be surprised if they used most of Psycho's parts for the rebuild Killalot. Growler on the other hand was a bloody good machine, anyone remember that fight with that little pink bot which Growler annihilated? :D I wouldn't mind if Growler returned compared to Psycho IMO.

And Cassius Chrome...utterly useless and summed up the 7th wars to me. Speaking of which, what were his weapons again? Those spike ram things that couldn't 'punch' through cardboard?

And Cassius Chrome...utterly useless and summed up the 7th wars to me. Speaking of which, what were his weapons again? Those spike ram things that couldn't 'punch' through cardboard?
Whoever thought up the idea of Cassius Chrome is an idiot, frankly. I'd argue he was the worst house robot ever designed. His weapons were completely useless - I can't remember a single occasion where he caused damage to any robot with those stupid punching fists.

Whoever thought up the idea of Cassius Chrome is an idiot, frankly. I'd argue he was the worst house robot ever designed. His weapons were completely useless - I can't remember a single occasion where he caused damage to any robot with those stupid punching fists.

And made all the more better when many robots flipped him over, one even knocking out his eye if I can remember clearly! :D

A classic, 'Take that Scrappy!' moment :p

I hope it does well, I remember being hopeful for the Gladiators revival but it was just meh, the best part was when they had the old Gladiators return! Whilst on the subject I would love to see takeshi's castle return, however I can't imagine it would ever be as great as it was, that show was crazy awesome!