• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Robot Wars returns!

Apollo was a worthy winner. Carbide was the more destructive robot but in this final episode it appeared that if the batter went the full 3 minutes then the weapon was likely to fail with big impacts.

I hope there is another series, I have enjoyed this yet there is still lots of room for improvement.

:)

TBH, the fight could have gone either way. Apollo seems prone to randomly loosing drive for no obvious reason. When their flipper got stuck open, I was expecting Carbide's thwacker to get inside Apollo and tear them to shreds, though I think it had lost power already by that point.
That's the big problem with spinners; they take ages to get up to speed. Just like flippers can run out of gas. Now if they allowed tactical nukes...

I really enjoyed the final. I was rooting for Carbide but I don't begrudge Apollo their win at all. An excellent way to round off the series. Overall, I think the reboot has been fantastic. Hopefully it's been deemed enough of a success to continue long into the future.

Meh I thought the final was a bit of an anticlimax with the judges giving it to Apollo, should have gone a second round and given them time for repairs so Carbide could have fixed it's spinner

I disagree. I've seen lots of similar comments across the internet saying "Carbide would have destroyed them if their weapon hadn't stopped" but it was Apollo's flip that killed Carbide's weapon when it hit the arena floor. Apollo won it fair and square.

I really enjoyed the final. I was rooting for Carbide but I don't begrudge Apollo their win at all. An excellent way to round off the series. Overall, I think the reboot has been fantastic. Hopefully it's been deemed enough of a success to continue long into the future.

I disagree. I've seen lots of similar comments across the internet saying "Carbide would have destroyed them if their weapon hadn't stopped" but it was Apollo's flip that killed Carbide's weapon when it hit the arena floor. Apollo won it fair and square.

Yeah they did, I just felt it made poor viewing, Robots that dish out heavy damage are always more fun to watch than the flippers which are (in my opinion boring).

I would like to see them change the rules were a victory by pit, flip immobilize, throwing out the arena or judges only gets 1 point rather than 3, to encourage teams to build destructive robots rather than opt for flipper and pushing robots.

I would like to see them remove the pit alltogether. It's always the cop-out win.
I would like to see a timer on the pit release, so it rises back up after a set time. Then if a robot goes into it, the 10 second counter starts if the pit rises and the robot moves away before the timer ends then it is still in the game.

Yeah they did, I just felt it made poor viewing, Robots that dish out heavy damage are always more fun to watch than the flippers which are (in my opinion boring).

I've been watching a lot of Battlebots recently. The format of the programme and the arena layout favours spinners much more than Robot Wars, so instead of flipper vs. flipper contests you tend to have spinner vs. spinner. Occasionally it results in spectacular destruction but usually, they'll collide once, one will conk out and the other will win.

Having lots of massively destructive robots doesn't necessarily make for entertaining fights. I think it's more important to have a variety of different designs facing up against each other. Like it or not, flippers are an incredibly effective weapon in UK style robot combat.

I think the balance was about right for this series. The higher arena walls meant that flipper robots couldn't just instantly fling their opponents out of the arena as in series 7 and it made other designs of robots much more competitive. Out of the 6 robots that made it to the final episode, only two of them had flippers. The final could have gone either way. If Carbide had won, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I would like to see them remove the pit alltogether. It's always the cop-out win.

I always thought it was, in hindsight, a bad choice to include a pit release button as it only led to 'lazy' battles in which a robot just had to push the button and hope they can get the other robot into the pit.

I think the 4th Wars had the right idea of having the pit go down in it's own time. What'd I do personally is, if a second series is commissioned, is have the pit button removed and have the pit go down at a random time during a match e.g if a robot get's that little too close to it, it'll release and catch out the robot. Making the pit more unpredictable can actually do a lot to change a battle.

Hell I can give you a list of what'd do in a new series, though I can be here all night!

If they must have a pit, it should be a trapdoor that opens suddenly, and leads to a drop of at least fifty feet in to a furnace.

I also think it would be more entertaining if they placed limits on armer type and thickness, that way weapons can do massive damage quickly and you get entertaining battles.
Or maybe have a heavy weight division for flippers and heavy armour robots and a "Destruction" division were only light armour is allowed and flippers are banned.

Also I would like to see Dara O'briain replaced for someone with more enthusiasm such as Robert Llewellyn or Guy Martin (or of course Craig Charles).

As the first episode of the new series just aired I thought it was worth bringing this thread back.

I enjoyed tonight's episode. Aftershock is a terrifying machine. Their heat win never looked in doubt. Definitely one to watch in the final. I'd very much like to see them fight Carbide, assuming they make it through.

I expected Terrorhurtz to do fairly well but it looked thoroughly outclassed by the big spinners. Hopefully Thor fares a little better. It would be nice to have an axebot in the final.

Last edited:
Quite a few toys being thrown out of prams tonight and a lot of of bickering within teams too, which is rather unusual.
STOP FIRING THE WEAPON
SPIN DOWN THE DISK
STOP

The new series is a massive step forward in terms of weapon power. In the classic series it was pretty rare to see something completely wrecked, other than by either Razer or Hypnodisk. The problem now is that teams who get past the first round face a further 3 battles even if their machine has been reduced to its constituent parts, which with the number of spinners out there makes for a lot of difficult rebuilds. There's a lot more battles per episode now, unfortunately a lot of them aren't very good as at least one robot isn't working properly.

Reactions: Rob
The new series is a massive step forward in terms of weapon power. In the classic series it was pretty rare to see something completely wrecked, other than by either Razer or Hypnodisk. The problem now is that teams who get past the first round face a further 3 battles even if their machine has been reduced to its constituent parts, which with the number of spinners out there makes for a lot of difficult rebuilds. There's a lot more battles per episode now, unfortunately a lot of them aren't very good as at least one robot isn't working properly.

That does seem to be the major flaw with the current format, especially when you have robots that can be so destructive. If this continues they will have to look at a new format for the next series, no one really wants to see two broken robots take on each other.

Other than that it was quite an enjoyable episode. Aftershock looks terrifyingly good and if it works reliably in the final it's hard to see what could actually beat it. I liked the new concept of the rouge house robot too, I felt the house robots were underused last series.

:)

Aftershock was the clear favourite from the beginning but a great episode and great to see it back. Loved the bikering between the teams too. And what was jellyfish all about? Seemed like a lovely team and all, just was utterly hopeless as a fighting robot.

Aftershock was the clear favourite from the beginning but a great episode and great to see it back. Loved the bikering between the teams too. And what was jellyfish all about? Seemed like a lovely team and all, just was utterly hopeless as a fighting robot.

Reminded me of the robot that was made out entirely of MDF last series, didn't last long.