• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Robot Wars returns!

I approve of the format changes for the latest series, I was never a fan of the league format, it resulted in too many pointless battles between robots that weren't working properly.

The 10 way fight was suitably manic, much better than the annihilators format they ran a couple of times in the classic series, which never lived up to expectations as the format called for 1 elimination at a time.

I'm also genuinely surprised they've not put any limits on spinners yet given how powerful they are these days, the arena wall got smashed a couple of times in the original run (which itself caused controversy in S7 when spinners were allowed to get back up to speed on a re-start) but never to the degree that Apex obliterated it when it blew itself to bits. If that had happened in the original run the bar would probably have gone into the audience, so I guess it's less bad..?

I approve of the format changes for the latest series, I was never a fan of the league format, it resulted in too many pointless battles between robots that weren't working properly.

The 10 way fight was suitably manic, much better than the annihilators format they ran a couple of times in the classic series, which never lived up to expectations as the format called for 1 elimination at a time.

I'm also genuinely surprised they've not put any limits on spinners yet given how powerful they are these days, the arena wall got smashed a couple of times in the original run (which itself caused controversy in S7 when spinners were allowed to get back up to speed on a re-start) but never to the degree that Apex obliterated it when it blew itself to bits. If that had happened in the original run the bar would probably have gone into the audience, so I guess it's less bad..?

There are limits on spinners and have been since the reboot - tip speeds of spinning weapons cannot exceed 250 mph.

Although some of the arena failures have appeared to be very dramatic, the damage to the arena has been mostly superficial. In the case of the Apex incident, the inner screens' main function is to create a high, yet transparent barrier in order to prevent each bout ending in an instant out-of-the-arena. The polycarbonate in the double-layered outer walls is much thicker and much more resistant to impacts.

In any case, this series was overall of a very high quality and I really enjoyed watching it. The only improvements I would suggest are:

1) Not grouping so many of the highest profile machines into the same heat (I think this was a failed attempt to stop Carbide at an early stage). It left a few of the heats feeling a bit lacklustre and denied us some of the strongest competitors getting through to the final.

2) The fog of war must go. It's just a baffling misfire of an idea. The competitors can't see anything, the judges can't see anything, we, the viewers can't see anything. It simply wastes 10 seconds of time where I'd rather see robot fighting than fog.

I don't want to seem negative though because all things considered, it was a terrific series with some memorable fights. The bulk of the changes made definitely improved the format.

Last edited:
The fog of war is a wierd idea. And i cant work out how it got though to the show itself.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I think the FOW Idea was that it may get triggered and they end up falling into the pit or flipped or whatever... However, in reality, it never really worked like that... The roboteers just stay still for 10 seconds so they avoid exactly that.

On a TV show it never really works as like has been said above no one can see anything so just feels like a pointless 10 seconds of footage that we are being subjected to.

This was a great final, Nuts taking out Carbide in the first group and then Behemoth just dropping into the pit

The 10 robot battle was good, but the pit was the main destroyer really, also Fog of War was particularly pointless as others have said.
Was nice to see
Eruption
win, they were definitely the more aggressive in the final.

I do hope they keep the 10 robot rumble next year, but yeah, i agree that the fog needs to go!

I was kinda disappointed with Eruption's performance in the 10 robot battle, Not a fan of Robots standing around doing nothing for half the bout. Get in there and cause mayhem and destruction I say.

You can't argue with results.

All flippers have limited gas so in a bout with no time limit it's all the more important to make every attack count and only use the gas if you absolutely have to. If you start off next to a spinner there's a strong case for getting in a flip early to try and prevent it from getting up to speed but other than that staying back initially is probably the best strategy, especially as it makes you less vulnerable to an attack from the side or behind.

Obviously it's wouldn't make very good TV if everyone thought like that though.

The second new series has been the best one to date. It's not without it's flaws such as FOW but all of the final fights were quite entertaining to watch. I was amazed to see Nuts 2 do so well and actually work! The minibots distracted and took out Behemoth and the flails knocked the chain clean off carbide's weapon. There's been so much carnage this season with my highlight being Aftershock's side pannel tearing though the inner polycarbonate arena wall. Great to see Eruption finally win and Rapid go out in flames.

It was also announced yesterday that an International special will air on New Year's Eve, starring (from the UK) Apollo, Sabretooth, Terrorhurtz and Gabriel 2. Also participating will be TMHWK from the Netherlands, Cobra from Belgium, and Rabid M8 from Portugal. There is one other slot which I haven't mentioned yet. It's being filled by everybody's favourite flammable red-and-black polka-dot-fur-covered Irish robot. Yes, everybody, Diotoir is coming BACK! :D It gets even better, though. A Tweet sent out by the official Robot Wars account earlier this evening implies that a certain Sergeant Bash may be returning as well. Sod the other robots tbh. I just want to see Bash burning Diotoir again for old times' sake. :p

Glad that Diotoir is back, everyone loved that red fluff ball and that epic victory over the arrogant Tornado team! But if they are back, you can't have Diotoir without the good Sgt, they are like one of the great double acts in TV history!

But yeah, if Sgt Bash returns too then the rebooted Robot Wars is complete for me :D

Robot Wars has been axed by the BBC again
The show featuring duelling robots was rebooted on BBC Two in 2016 and ran for three series. Presented by Dara Ó Briain and Angela Scanlon since its return, it is to be scrapped to "make room for new shows", the BBC said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43442628

I highly doubt the BBC BBC Worldwide will give up the rights. Pretty sure it's a sweet earner for them from merch alone.