• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is 25

jon81uk

TS Member
Nice article in The Guardian about RCT and its effect on John Burton and Flora Lui of Merlin Magic Making, plus input from Candy Holland talking about the games influence on women wanting to work in her field. There is also some discussion with Chris Sawyer.

Trying to go all 3d killed it. The simplicity with the RCT1 and 2 aesthetic was perfect.

Did anyone else play Theme Park? Had it on the Amiga 600. A bit more fiddly to do things, ie all coasters had to be built by yourself. But still a very good game and a great forebare to RCT.

Trying to go all 3d killed it. The simplicity with the RCT1 and 2 aesthetic was perfect.

Did anyone else play Theme Park? Had it on the Amiga 600. A bit more fiddly to do things, ie all coasters had to be built by yourself. But still a very good game and a great forebare to RCT.
Yep had Theme Park on PC, but it seemed a bit buggy. Theme Hospital remains a classic (and now Two Point Hospital.
I never really got into RCT3, the 3D didn't work well enough and I find Planet Coaster is OK but a lot of effort really, the simplicity of the isometric view keeps me coming back to OpenRCT.

Theme parkitectfeels like a spiritual successor to rct

Yep loved Theme Park! Feel like it doesn't get any credit compared to RCT.

I had thrme park on sega megadrive. I also had the sequel, theme park world on ps1/2 I forget which. That was ok, bit trippy when I look back at old footage and I remember the little advisor guy used to repeat himself all the time. They were good games, a far more simplified and cartoonish version of RCT.

I have RCT classic on my phone, kind of blows my mind that I can play the full version of it on my little phone after growing up playing it on a big old pc. I had RCT3 as well before planet coaster, it was ok but didn’t really feel like an rct game. The art style of the first two is what helped to make it so beloved. It was a mistake for them to go full 3d.

Theme parkitectfeels like a spiritual successor to rct
I still enjoy RCT, but it is rarely booted up.

Parkitect scratches that itch perfectly and more. It's a wonderful game. I've got no desire to play Planet Coaster which always comes accross as soul-less, even on the detailed creations. Parkitect has somehow manages to exude charm whatever you do.

Marcel Vos on YT still does interesting content on RCT and dives into every nook and cranny of RCT 1 and 2. You can't help but marvel at Chris Sawyer's skill to put those games together the way he did.

I miss the days when games came on a disk you owned for eternity. Pretty much gave up on gaming when everything switched to "renting" a download.
.... But that's a rant for pet hates. ;)

Ah yes!! You did that excellent park building series.... errr..... Blythe Manor.... Belwere Mansion.... damnit what was it??!

Unfortunate how that ended!
Blithering Lodge. Real shame the save game got corrupted. There was an Intamin Blitz, and I'd just added a B&M Wingrider. Even had a fireworks show about half way complete.... then it went FUBAR on me. :cry:

I had Theme Park - the original Bullfrog, 6 Floppy Disk edition sponsored by Midland Bank.....
....and 99% of my games ended with the 'game over' death march :tearsofjoy:

From: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmc5KR8dEJE&ab_channel=GameOverContinue

But Theme Park was much more of a management game compared to RCT - I guess what RCT creators realised is that people want to build coasters and rides with a sprinkle of basic management to achieve the scenario goals.
Not constantly needing to re-order food stocks and wage negotiations so your handymen aren't on strike, and maybe after that have time to build some stuff (if you don't jump out of a window first).

RCT2 was the superior game to play overall, but I actually preferred the challenge of RCT 1 where you had to successfully complete the scenarios to unlock the next ones. Sense of achievement when you managed to complete the full game. I don't think I played many of RCT2's scenarios as there was little incentive to do so, just stuck with sandbox mode.