• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Runaway Mine Train: General Discussion

I struggle to believe this, particularly the permanent member of staff at the entrance claim. Surely by that logic all the coasters should have the same? Or is RMT hindered by this issue more than most?
it is the only ride that has had its height changed from 1.2m to 1.3m, the only time I went on it this year, there was 2-3 min delay in sending a train as a parent was arguing with the merge host that their child was able to go on it last year, and thus they should be able to go on it this year, I guess for the next couple of years they may do it on busy days to prevent said disruptions until parents stop remembering it as an 1.2m attraction, or if they modify it so it can be a 1.2m ride again

as a thought the talk about a second train could be a new train with individual restraints (it is an option from mack for new rides) if the reason the height was increased was the lapbars, it could solve the issue.

1.3m seems insane for that ride… the same as Hyperia and more than Wickerman or Mandrill Mayhem (though of course it’s 1.1m accompanied).

Honestly it needs some refurb / alternations to bring the height unaccompanied down . Have to wait and see. Good news on focusing on throughput again though. As long as it’s not too intense and the staff are cared for

I struggle to believe this, particularly the permanent member of staff at the entrance claim. Surely by that logic all the coasters should have the same? Or is RMT hindered by this issue more than most?
A lot of rides do have an entrance host on peak rides. Rides like Nemesis and Air I can almost always remember having an entrance host.

Was at the park today during the power cut at the start of the day chatting to the ride Ops for RMT.
They said the park is bringing back RPH targets from Scarefest park wide.
RMT specific - closed season brings taller airgates so they can batch while the ride is in operation. Also the height chart is going to the queue entrance with a permanent member of staff stopping people suspected of being too small before they get in the queue.
There’s also, supposedly, talk of getting a second train again as a tentative RPH for next season is 800. Which is impossible to achieve with one
Please take everything you were told with a massive truckload of salt. Ride staff are well known to wind guests up with false rumours as they know those will be lapped up by enthusiasts quicker than a dog drinking from its bowl on a hot day.

Last edited:
Was at the park today during the power cut at the start of the day chatting to the ride Ops for RMT.
They said the park is bringing back RPH targets from Scarefest park wide.
RMT specific - closed season brings taller airgates so they can batch while the ride is in operation. Also the height chart is going to the queue entrance with a permanent member of staff stopping people suspected of being too small before they get in the queue.
There’s also, supposedly, talk of getting a second train again as a tentative RPH for next season is 800. Which is impossible to achieve with one
I can easily believe the bit about new airgates and a permanent Entrance staff member for height checks, lines up with recent operational changes across Merlin with Minifigure and Mandrill.

As for two train operations, I'm a bit more skeptical, this is the oldest coaster in the park and would definitely be a seven figure upgrade. I could also possibly that they order two new trains for next season similar to Max & Moritz so it can be added to the lineup at February Half Term and Christmas potentially with Curse and some sort of Lights Walk down Haunted Hollow.

This would mean that each train would only be operating half of the year, and depending on when they service the trains, take off the off-season workload when it comes to annual maintenance as one train will always be out of service.

But if they add higher airgates, it's also possible that they could also build some sort shelter over station. It would be a great opportunity for some additional theming on the ride because otherwise it'll look really ugly...

Set of higher airgates going begging at Chessington if Scorpion Express has kicked the bucket as suspected.

Set of higher airgates going begging at Chessington if Scorpion Express has kicked the bucket as suspected.

Confirmed. Higher airgates being shipped from Chessington to RMT. Existing RMT gates moving to car park monorail station, happy days.

Please take everything you were told with a massive truckload of salt. Ride staff are well known to wind guests up with false rumours as they know those will be lapped up by enthusiasts quicker than a dog drinking from its bowl on a hot day.

Can confirm that it wasn’t just ride staff that used to enjoy seeing their occasional false rumour showing up on here 😄

Worth noting that the train on Scorpion Express has (had?) fewer cars than RMT, so they'd need more gates anyway.

Currently RMT is batched after the train goes through the station the first time, they can usually get the bays filled by the time the gates open so there's little benefit in changing them.

I don't think we need to entertain the idea of the ride operating with 2 trains.

Worth noting that the train on Scorpion Express has (had?) fewer cars than RMT, so they'd need more gates anyway.

Currently RMT is batched after the train goes through the station the first time, they can usually get the bays filled by the time the gates open so there's little benefit in changing them.

I don't think we need to entertain the idea of the ride operating with 2 trains.

Has it ever operated with 2 trains? Can’t see that working myself…..
Suppose it could as it’s a powered coaster but you’re relying on quick turnaround in despatches

No.
Never.
I imagine it would mean a spare train for repairs...
or complete cobblers tale told for fun.

Bit like the second train on the Revolution...it just never gets used.