• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sam's classic Europa Park review

Sam

TS Member
Something else I wanted salvaging from TTF. :)

Sam's Europa Park review
Photos by Vik

294278_10150400985056978_529741977_10589258_3411714_n.jpg

I know that in the last few days I've said a lot of quite silly and embarrassingly over-the-top things about EP. When on park, I was caught up in all the excitement of a new park with all my friends with me and it probably made me get a bit carried away with myself about what I really think of the park. I said it was the best park in the world, and absolutely perfect in almost every way. Sorry, I wasn't really thinking properly in all the excitement.

It is far better than that.

Europa Park redefines what a theme park can be. In every respect, it creates an absolute pinnacle for the industry, a shining light of excellent practice and perfect creation that every park should look up to. Disney are always seen as some sort of barometer of quality in this industry. Frankly, Europa make Disney look like amateur hour. In fact, add Efteling and Alton Towers to that list too. It is the first park I've ever been to that felt like it was run by full-time theme park professionals. It was also the first park I'd ever been to apart from Efteling that didn't feel like it was being run for profit, but purely to create the greatest theme park ever built. It is the central irony of EP, that by setting the gate price so modestly, by investing such vast amounts in the park and the entertainment, by not having up-sellers ever hassle you to give them more money, and by keeping the food such good value, they have managed to create a park that makes people so happy that they come in vast numbers, therefore presumably making the park vastly more profit than the likes of penny-pinching Alton Towers. Oh, how I wish every park in the world could learn this lesson.

292165_10150400989206978_529741977_10589372_7580778_n.jpg

In my humble opinion, Europa Park is the greatest thing man-kind has ever achieved in the field of entertainment. It is simply awe-inspiring. I think no other thing (a film, a book, an opera) could ever compete with EP, purely because unlike almost any other form of entertainment, it's roots in a physical place has allowed it to be constantly expanded and improved at the highest level of quality anywhere in the world every year for decades. I don't think it's possible to find any built environment more fun, perfect or awe-inspiring anywhere on planet earth.

Firstly, the throughputs. Queueing is the number one nemesis of any theme park. It is consistently by far and away the factor most likely to ruin a guest's day, and it is part of the bittersweet taste of success. It is inevitable that every guest will spend most of their day queueing. Europa is the only park I've been to where it feels like they have gone to every length possible at every stage of their operation to reduce this nemesis, given their extraordinary popularity. The throughputs they manage to wrench out of every coaster, and the tireless dedication and motivation of their staff towards this aim is astonishing. It's often difficult to believe the speed at which EuroSat, EuroMir and Blue Fire manages to dispatch trains, eliminating any station faff to zero. It's almost true to say that if you stop moving in EuroSat's queue then something's gone wrong. I've never seen a park that understands that throughput, not safety, should be at the absolute core of every thing they do, from ride design to staff training. Such throughputs can only be achievable with the German common sense approach to health and safety. The fact that the safety of themselves was partially in the hands of the guests made people behave much more responsibly on-park than they do in Britain. Do restraints need to be checked on a powered mine train? No, of course they don't. I'll never understand why the restraints of RMT not only need to be there, but also need to be checked by hand, yet the Flume and the rapids have no restraints at all. Completely inconsistent.

Secondly, the entertainment. As I'm British, I was resigned to the fact that I'd never see a decent theme park show without going back to Florida. Usually it'd be my rule not to bother with shows as it wastes valuable ride time for a second rate performance, especially at a park with so many wonderful rides as EP. Well I'm glad I did see the shows, but more on them later. The amount of general street entertainment is staggering. You could barely walk a hundred metres without bumping in to a troupe of street performers, dressed as rappers on stilts or as French mimes or whatever, just interacting with the public and making them smile. I can't stress enough the sheer quantity of street entertainment. Everywhere you looked there was a swing band striking up unannounced on a random stage, or street performers enchanting the guests. I don't remember anywhere near a tenth of the amount of street entertainment at Disney or Efteling, the kind of parks where you'd expect this sort of thing. Not to mention the dozens of different shows everyday outside the big four we didn't have a hope of seeing, and the wonderful daily parade. Worth pointing out that Alton has absolutely none of the above.

295349_10150401003991978_529741977_10589689_7928917_n.jpg

206002_10150400986021978_529741977_10589281_6899499_n.jpg

Thirdly, the rides and theming. The unique policy of making major additions and major refurbishments to old rides has led to a park where almost every attraction meets the same impeccable quality standards. The focus on guest experience rather than profit leads to the creation of atmosphere, rather than simply the headline rides. Things like the Norweigan Stave Church (added in '91!) would never be found in any other park, but these hundreds of little flourishes and touches across the park leads to a park that oozes character and yes, magic, around every corner.

291879_10150400997791978_529741977_10589553_4737604_n.jpg

293598_10150400998641978_529741977_10589569_2146543_n.jpg

295695_10150400998561978_529741977_10589567_2860020_n.jpg

Much of the theming is noticably different to other parks, in that it really tries to be authentic rather than just a cartoon stereotype of that country. Whilst in other parks the French area would have cheesy renditions of the Eiffal tower and the leaning tower of Pisa, EP are much more subtle, trying to give a real different atmosphere to each part of the park using subtle theming. They don't patronise the guests, they treat them as intelligent. For example, in each area much of the text, names of shops (Kaffi Hus), rides (the Russian name for BENCH) and audio is often in the native language (the Icelandic name of the Blue Fire research station for example), and the buildings try to give an architechtural flavour of the country without being over the top and cliche. The walls of restaurants and rides are often adorned with real framed maps, old government posters, or old adverts for national events themed to that area. It gives the park a real soul, and a feel like you are being treated like an adult. They don't simply dumb down the park to make it easy for you. Europa Park is often a cerebral experience, and a thoughtful one.

292737_10150400992716978_529741977_10589448_33570_n.jpg

292344_10150400998851978_529741977_10589573_5496957_n.jpg

Anyway enough with random observations, time to crack on and review the park:

Part 1

EuroSat
The first thing you notice about EuroSat is the single-file cattle pen in front of the iconic geodesic dome (an sign in the queue tells you about the history of the geodesic dome and its designer Buckminster Fuller, showing what I mean by EP refusing to dumb down) which seems to
moving constantly at an astonishing speed. Even if the queue is flowing miles out the entrance, your wait is unlikely to be more than 25 minutes due to the astonishing throughputs. The space age escalator leads you into a simply yet functional station, and you are allowed to pick your row. Before you realise it, you're off and up the lifthill with the famous techno soundtrack filling your senses. The ride is well paced and speedy, with an intense first drop and a rapid series of dips and sudden direction changes keeping up the pace, all whilst rave lights fill up the dome. The extremely harsh brakes create a fantastically intense finish, just as the ride is starting to flag.

295476_10150400985121978_529741977_10589260_4123469_n.jpg

Silver Star
I've heard EP's flagship coaster described as forceless and boring, but these were two words that definately didn't spring to mind as I wiped the tears from my eyes from the thundering first drop. The sheer height of it creates an incredible sensation of speed, and leaving the park really feels like a bit of an adventure. Bizarelly, the ride has absolutely buckets of smooth floater airtime in the front and none in the back. The near-perfect B&M trains and restraints make this an incredibly comfortable ride, whilst the impeccable cleaning and painting of this sleek glittering mechanical beast makes it look like opening day, every day. My only criticism would be a lack of atmosphere in the station due to the music being turned down. Although the Mercedes-Benz sponsorship is far more extensive than Oblivion's sponsorship, it adds to the ride immensely here, as the brand fits in so well with the theme. The reputation of the brand as being ultra-classy and ultra-cool actually give those same characteristics to the ride by association, and also provide queue-line entertainment.

228935_10150400985351978_529741977_10589268_8040745_n.jpg

292422_10150400987936978_529741977_10589339_3385078_n.jpg

Sh*tezer Bobboredbahns
The theming is absolutely gorgeous, one of the best themed rides ever built. The main bit of the track winds its way through beautiful Swiss cottages, making standing underneath one of its helixs an absolute thrill. Shame the ride is completely useless. The drop at the beginning offers absolutely nothing, and the ride hits the mile-long set of break runs just as it seems in danger of gathering up any sort of speed. But the thing with Europa is there few failures aren't for lack of effort. When something doesn't really work, it's usually because they've experimented and clearly tried to do something great, so you can forgive them for that. No, the drop on Bobbahn doesn't work, but it's the first one ever built so you have to give them some credit. But really, who cares the ride isn't very good when the throughputs are this stunning (five trains on a short bobsled!), the theming is so immersive and the ride looks so beautiful from every angle.

206021_10150400991496978_529741977_10589420_5125862_n.jpg

Poseidon
One of the best themed coasters at EP, I'm almost annoyed I didn't ever get to queue up in the beautifully themed queue. The station itself is simply epic, and on a grand scale, unnessecarily huge. The theming at the start is really quite lovely. The ride is slightly let down by the first coaster section, but since when has anyone expected the coaster part of a water coaster to be any good?! This rough section does end wonderfully with what feels like a classic Roland Mack move, the main spiralling drop leads into a curve upwards into a bouncy little bunny hop before the splashdown. This classic move is repeated again on the rather wonderful final drop, with a bunnyhop that just makes you throw your hands into the air and shout "ROLAAAAAAAAND!"

Pegasus
The Mack YoungStar system is such a wonderful ride system that it makes up for lack of theming. A galumphing triumphant scores follows you up the surprisingly high lift-hill, and the beautifully designed front car proudly charges round the snappy layout. It's everything a kid's coaster should be. It's a bit embaressing for Towers that this kid's coaster beats Th13teen's coaster section hands down.

Alpen Express
The first rollercoaster built at EP, but you'd never know it. The rapid queue leads to a rarely awe-inspiring station, a beautiful vaulted wooden creation that soars above the modest ride below. The insanely quick turnover time between trains means you're entering one of the most breath-taking areas of EP within minutes: diamond mine. The theming in here is absolutely gorgeous, an ethereal mix of ambient light and a hushed reverence, as mine train, log flume and walkway duck and dive around this luxurious oasis. Surprisingly intense, the tunnel inside the mine is almost as intense as RMT's.

292172_10150400992971978_529741977_10589454_261826_n.jpg

Atlantica SuperGash
There must hardly be a more beautiful ride in the world than this beautiful creation, rising majestically out of the Portaguese sea. The theming in the area, from the pool that dominates the area with water so clear you want to dive into it, to the beautiful ship that consists of part-queue and part-bar, this ride just screams luxury from every inch. The ride itself does exactly what it says on the tin, with a couple of show-off turntables and a backwards drop just for the sake of it. Again ending with a classic Roland Mack move, the final bunny hop into the water, the ride strikes the exact balance in getting you wet. Even more beautiful and majestic by night.

262418_10150401003461978_529741977_10589671_4168697_n.jpg

EuroMir

"You don't know what this is do you. Is this innovation or a mistake?" - Stewart Lee.

Ahh EuroMir, previously described as 'the Kraftwerk of rollercoasters' and generally seen as one of the weirdest rides ever built. A speedy dispatch brings you to a dated but charming dark ride scene, as your car waits to join the epic lifthill of ravey goodness. Unlike EuroSat, changing lighting and the spinning of the cars on the lift keeps things interesting until you reach the top. Here is the weirdest part of the ride, as the trains zig-zag between the shimmering towers whilst revolving slowly, like some sort of ancient dance of a forgotten species, it's rituals confusing to the nearby humans. The coaster part is fantastically rough, especially on the first drop, and gets more and more intense as the ride goes on, traversing tunnels, helixs and waterfalls. The pacing of this is supurb, with the ride getting constantly more intense as it goes on, so it becomes almost too much when you hit the brake run. This ride though is substantially less fun if you're not sitting opposite people you know during the main ride, if you are it becomes a great little social.

262811_10150400995061978_529741977_10589505_2672685_n.jpg

Matterhorn Sh*tz
Clearly built just to show off the ride system, the throughputs from this wild mouse are none-the-less impressive. The vertical lift is the most impressive part of the ride by a long shot, the duel platformed bending lift being a real technical marvel. After a surprisingly long first drop, the ride loses momentum, and the mandatory mouse back-and-forth section has no lateral gs, and the ride is again other just as it begins to get going. Still, it is what it is, and it's a well-themed and fun wild mouse.

Blue Fire
What can be said about this ride that hasn't already been said? It's all true. The ride system is probably the best ever created, blasting apart Intamin's complete rubbish about inverting coasters needing OTSRs. The restraints and seats are incredibly comfortable, and the build quality feels extremely high. The heartrate monitors add some gimmecky fun to the proceedings, and the on-board audio will hopefully some day be put to good use. The short dark ride system is nonetheless impressive, with a load of whirling computer screens and fun animatronics as the ride's soaring score gets you excited for launch. The launch is fun yet not intense, underlining this as the ultimate perfect family-thrill coaster. The first element, though pointless track-and-train gives a great view of the layout, before plunging back into the rockwork for a great loop. The next sudden turn to the side can catch you unaware. The last inversion is simply incredible, feeling like a strong man picking you up by the waist and spinning you all the way round. What feels painful and boring on an Intamin becomes an amazing sensation of freedom on this wonderful Mack.

185265_10150400986456978_529741977_10589290_951137_n.jpg

Pirates in Batavia
To some degree a Disney rip-off, but we'll let them off as this appeared several years before DLP. The brick built entrance in the wonderful Dutch square is beautiful, and the queue snakes its way past various scenes before boarding. The ride is mostly generic pirate scenes, but all done to a very high standard and with plenty for the eyes to feast on.

Picco Mondolo
This ride occupies an absolutely tiny space in Italy. In any other park this would be a shop or restaurant, but why not put a ride in? The ride vehicles exude that same sense of top build quality and classy professionalism that Volo Da Vinci, Historama and Enchanted Forest do. A short series of fun little scenes of Italy follow, with a cute little song. How lovely!

Universe of Energy
Complete rubbish, a very boring dinosaur themed Omnimover hiding undernearth EuroSat. Although the animatronics are perfectly passable, very little actual happens by way of any event or narrative. Saying this, it's high capacity and in any other park there'd be nothing in this space, so who really cares?

Geishterschloss
The best dark ride at EP, this haunted house theme Omnimover was a complete surprise. I was expecting a tiny cheap affair on the scale of Picco Mondolo, but what I got was a full on long dark ride with a wonderful range of innovative effects. Unlike the friendly scares of the Haunted Mansions, this ride seemed a lot more adult, and much of it was very disturbing. Really quite a jarring experience, feeling like you should be on a family ride but being confronted with dark scenes of Ku Klux Klansmen, suicide and capital punishment. Really great, a fascinating and atmospheric little ride with a great throughput (naturally).

BENCH
I have no idea what this ride is like, because all I can remember of this ride is constant shoutings of "BENCH" all the way round every second, and me just crying with hysterics.

294205_10150400997451978_529741977_10589546_4267267_n.jpg

Abanteur Atlantis
Again, another ride with a surprisingly unasuming and subtle entrance, like it was just put in as an extra little afterthought. Great little shooting dark ride, and I love the ability to spin the cars. Shame some of the scenes can be a bit cardboard cut out. But it doesn't really matter, it's simply really fun, takes up space under something else, great capacity and a lot of interactive effects.

Vineta
I love Vineta. You walk in, it lights up, 10 seconds later someone shouts "BORED BARNES" and you walk out. Jobs a good 'un!

Volo Da Vinci
Absolutely beautiful ride. This is one of the most beautiful, classy rides ever built. That queue area is sublimely sumptuous. I mean it just absolutely reeks of elegance. Especially the "painting" scene in the station. This is really at another level from the goofy theming of most parks, this looks more like an art gallery or a museum than a ride queue. So subtle and restrained. If we had more rides like this, theme parks might be taken more seriously as an intellectual and culturally valid art form.

Fjord Rafting
My favourite rapids outside Florida. This really does feel like a multi-part adventure. You have the usual rapids sections (and really good ones at that) but also two waterfall sections, two wave machine sections and a tunnel full of effects, smoke, music and fire. Not to mention the beautiful theming of floating past all the facades of the Scandanavian area as they hang above the channel. Really really wonderful, a proper adventure.

185225_10150401000726978_529741977_10589613_8185530_n.jpg

Kassandra
Although small and without a pre-show, the build quality of this Mack madhouse is top-notch. It felt really very solid and luxurious. Although obviously not as good as Hex or Villa Volta, the ride system seemed really rather quicker and more powerful than Vekoma's, leading me to feel genuinly disorientated. Then the anal rapage. Oh god, the anal rapage...

Hotels
There's only one word to describe the hotels: sumptuous. The hotels were better and more luxurious than I ever could have imagined. They're probably the most luxurious hotels I've ever been in, anywhere, not just at a theme park. I didn't see Andaluz, but out of the other three Hotel Collosseo was probably my least favourite, although it's still gorgeous. The circular design with a central plaza creates a great atmosphere anytime of the day or night, and it seems perfectly designed for shows and events.

294378_10150400987866978_529741977_10589336_7891142_n.jpg

Santa Isabel is simply divine. Everything about the hotel has a hushed sense of sanctity. EP haven't gone for an easy "wacky" theme here, using the theme of a convent (with a working chapel!) which uses the reputation of nuns as extremely private to create a very exclusive and hidden feel when you walk in. The corridor with the endless columns and arches all lit up a brilliant gold is absolutely beautiful.

Hotel Alcazar was my favourite hotel. I love the look of it from the outside, especially as from almost any high point in the park you can see how its theme connects with Atlantica SuperSplash. It is simply a beautiful building from the outside. Inside all the decor of the bars, communal rooms and corridors exudes such warmth. You really feel when you're in there like the draw bridge has been pulled up and your just safe from the world inside your fortress. It also contains my very favourite place at EP: the bar at the top. The door is always closed, meaning that when you enter the bar you get the feeling of having discovered a secret that only a handful of guests will ever know about. I can't think of too much to say about it, apart from it being such an intimate and cosy space, and such an amazing atmosphere, helped by the simply beautiful decor. The views of Atlantica are stunning too. I'm going to return here every time I go to EP, for sure. I'd love to stay in this hotel some day.

226196_10150400993761978_529741977_10589474_7639768_n.jpg

Cheapidorf also had a great atmosphere, though the accommodation with the cold showers didn't exactly get glowing reviews of other TTFers. The Silver Lake Saloon though is simply a fantastic venue, with such a loud and raucous atmosphere... a world away from the quiet seclusion of Alcazar. The food was great, the beer flowed in quantity, and the entertainment was fantastic. <!-- s:wink: -->:wink:<!-- s:wink: -->

Shows

Luminocity
I'm not usually a show person, and I awaited by first show expecting to feel bored and like I was wasting valuable Silvia time. How completely wrong I was. Firstly, the theatre for this show in the Italian area is beautiful, with gold finishing and deep red carpet everywhere with a sense of grandiosity. The show itself was simply breathtaking. A variety show, it featured a woman doing incredible things with a suspended ball high up in the air, and a wonderful gymnastics act featuring four young men who could simply do amazing feats of strength and balance with their bodies. But the real star was a comedian and juggler. His routine involved doing comedy bits in German, mixed with some absolutely incredibly breakbeat juggling. Even though his routine was all in German, somehow he had us all crying with laughter, and he himself seemed to collapse into fits of laughter constantly. It's wonderful to see someone really getting into what they're doing. GoGoGo ftl.

295236_10150400994736978_529741977_10589497_1374861_n.jpg

Supr'ice
An ice show. I think Dar said something like "I've never seen an ice show before. And I've discovered I don't really like ice shows" which I agree with. Yes, the skating was very well done, but I find the entire thing very boring to watch. Also it was all pirouetting queers in sparkly spandex costumes, it all felt incredibly dated. But the public seemed to absolutely lap it up, so I'm just gonna put this one down to personal preference. I just don't really like ice shows, but if you like Blackpool-esque ice shows with sparkly costumes and people skating to "I Am What I Am" I'm sure this one was very high quality.

The Devil And The Queen
EP's big flagship arena show, quite similar to the jousting show at Camelot. The Spanish arena was lovely, and a highlight was getting to see a true EP legend, the Charlie Chaplin warm-up guy. His act involved simply winding up and playing with random people in the arena, but was so beautifully done like the real Charlie Chaplin's films that it just showed an old master working at his craft. He ended by drawing a heart in the sand, and it's clear that the visitors to EP have taken him into their hearts.

The show itself was a thrilling spectacle involving spectacular jousting, sword fights, comedy sketches, special effects and amazing horse tricks. Really great all round. Camelot's could be like this if they really upped the budget by a few hundred thousand. Quest For The Golden Parrot ftl.

293279_10150401005706978_529741977_10589730_4711564_n.jpg

Beach Party
Coming from the UK, I'm used to theme parks that maintain a family atmosphere through all their events. I presumed the beach party would be great fun, but that it'd be fun music played quite loud with some disco lights on. How wrong I was. Come 9pm, and the area around ASS turns into a full on superclub. I don't know how, but somehow the Mack family have managed to create something better than 99% of actual nightclubs I've been to. Mack should be in the clubbing business. The atmosphere was absolutely buzzing, with thousands of revelers packed in front of the stage. The DJ played a great selection of party tracks all night long, really knowing when to knock out an absolute banging tune to whip the crowd into a frenzy. But what blew me away was the lighting system, which should be expected off theme park people I guess. The strobing and smoke was incredibly intense, creating one of the most disorientating and euphoric feelings I've ever felt clubbing.

294767_10150401002621978_529741977_10589651_1709500_n.jpg

Add to this the fact that ASS was running quite late into the night. It was absolutely brilliant to take a break from the sweaty ecstasy of the floor and go and ride some moist Portuguese ASS to cool down. Night riding is brilliant, especially when all round the coaster is packed with throngs of revelers. Simply the best atmosphere I've ever seen in a theme park, it really shows how events could be done here if residents didn't moan about noise. EP: the world's best theme park and the world's best club, as it turns out.

Historama
Probably the most ridiculous pretentious thing ever made. A revolving theatre showing the history of EP and the Mack family. The ride itself is a bit of a visual overload, you don't know where to look as rare old photos, plans, maps and models pop up all around you, constantly. It's basically Mack saying "CHECK OUT HOW ABSOLUTELY AMAZING WE ARE". It's a bit much really, but it looks so beautiful from the outside and it really shows off the pride the family have in what they've created... the best place on earth.

Vogel Show
Although I was skeptical, this was one of the absolute highlights at EP. I don't want to give too much away, but it's an Enchanted Tiki Room style animatronic bird show, but a really REALLY ghetto version. It's so gut-wrenchingly awful that it's absolutely hilarious. I remember each new scene sending me and SamB into uncontrollable giggles. And it's not awful due to lack of effort, someone clearly lovingly created this! Why, I don't know. A must see.

Also, general TTF meet-up highlights that don't really fit into a review of the park:
  • "BEEEEEEENCH!"
  • Riding some moist Portuguese ASS late into the night
  • "I wanna make Frau Holle"
  • Getting out our Oyster cards in the queue for London Bus: "Do you accept Oyster?"
  • London Bus op: "Is it as sh*t as the real thing?"
  • TAXI!
  • Front row on Silver Star, with the sun setting. Beautiful.
  • PICCOLO MONDO BETTER THAN NEMESIS, PICCOLO MONDO BETTER THAN NEMESIS
  • Two sightings of Michael Mack
  • Going round ASS with a beer in hand
  • EuroSat: "Can I get a reeeeeeeeeride!"
  • EuroMir social: "Oh hello!"
  • Staying up till 1am in Alcazar's bar with Joelio, Vik, Diogo and Dar
  • The man on the keyboards at Silver Lake Saloon.
  • Newcastle!
  • Silverstone Pissed crashes
  • The terrifying speed slides

I'd like to dedicate my first trip to EP to the memory of Franz Mack. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Conclusion
Really, I've only scratched the surface of the thousands of things that make EP the most magical place on earth for me. If I was to write down everything that impressed me, this report would be longer than War & Peace. Weirdly, although there's many little things wrong with the park, in fact I can think of criticisms for every ride, I can't help but score the park an absolutely perfect 10 out of 10. I think it's because every "real" theme park has room for improvement, and this shouldn't detract from what is already there. Everything that isn't quite right at EP is usually due to to bad luck, rather than lack of effort. For example, Blue Fire isn't anywhere near as intense as it looks like it could be. In facts, it's barely more intense than Air. But at the end of the day, it looks gorgeous, it's comfortable as a B&M, the theme music is awesome. At the end of the day, it's Blue bloody Fire at Europa Park, and it just makes you go "YEAHHHHHHHHHH" when you get off. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

295452_10150400994156978_529741977_10589483_6705748_n.jpg

If you're reading this and you haven't been, go. Seriously, go. I wish someone had absolutely commanded me to go before I did. Don't go after you've been to Florida, or Efteling, or DLP. Go as soon as you possibly can. For you, like it was for me, it'll be the start of a lifelong love affair that you'll never want to end.

228876_10150400991826978_529741977_10589427_2700004_n.jpg

I counted two sumptuous in that review! ;) Hats off to such a wonderful and hilarious review, really has me kicking and wailing for Europa Park again! Ngh, BLUE FIRE.

Hooray! I am going to read this with a cup of tea later. It always cheers me up!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd point out, why would you have a model of the Leaning Tower of Pisa in the French-themed area? :p

Fantastic review filled with honest opinions and memories of meets gone by, I wouldn't say it was a summary though, but it did sum up that holiday to the best level of detail! :p

In short, I miss EP, August can't come soon enough.

It's a great review but i would like to add some facts to the bobbahn.

The bobbahn was the second rollercoaster that was build for EP in 1985. At that time it was the worldwide first rollercoaster with this ride system. EP had plans to extend the bobbahn but they decided to build the Matterhorn instead.

Having just read this again, I know full well that my review of Europa isn't going to be anywhere near as good as yours, Sam. :p

Sam, that's an awesome review.

It's that magic, that makes you write reviews like that, which make a park special. An intangible something, dare I say, an energy about a place that makes you fall in love with it.

Few places capture the heart or imagination like that.

It was a brilliantly enjoyable read, thank you.

Sam - I see all your photo links have gone. Is there a chance you could re-engineer the post for us?

This is one of my favourites to read!

:)

I just registered here as it seems to be the only UK forum that has any real discussion about EP!

My brother and I spent 4 full days at EP last week. We are both in our late thirties and it's been a long time since I've visited any theme park in the UK, let alone abroad.

I don't know where to start.

I read "Sam's classic review" before posting this, and I couldn't agree more.

I haven't been to Disney, either Paris or Orlando, so can't speak for them. But they will have their work cut out to convince me that they are better than EP.

EP is special. There is not a shred of cynicism in the whole place. OK, it doesn't have the most intense thrill rides in the world but it simply isn't that kind of place. For sheer escapism, and beauty, I doubt there is better. The place has a soul, and a beating heart that resonates from the moment you walk into Deutsche Alley and it continues to resonate throughout the park. I bought Hendrik Schwarzer's wonderful score on CD, he's the German John Williams, and that music is resonating in my head days later.

Yes, we enjoyed all the rides. Blue Fire is probably my favourite but it is a tough choice. One day we just spent wandering around the park not riding anything, and it was one of the most pleasurable days of the week. We wandered around the gardens, when suddenly a lady appeared in themed costume, pushing a trolley full of honking geese, and proceeded to let them out onto the grass. Mother Goose perhaps? Who knows. We wandered over the Philosphenbruke (bridge) and there was a man there polishing the wood of the bridge, who greeted us with a most hearty "Hallo". I was taking some video of Euro-Mir in action from a distance, when a passing character on a unicycle patted me on the head in a friendly manner as he passed from behind me. These little encounters are what makes this park so special.

I will put up a proper full trip report in the next few days, but just wanted to add my love for this amazing park.

I aim to write some sort of trip report soon incouding pictures and videos of certain rides. :)

Last edited: