• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2015

I think I saw a comment by Towers on Facebook saying that they aren't offering the unlimited maze passes this year.

They didn't offer them last year either.

I believe the year before a set few kept going round and round the mazes, the actors got annoyed and so did the staff. It also meant towers couldn't predict queues for the mazes as card holders could come when they want.

They should bring it back, but have more limits on it, like one or two times a day for each maze and have a ticket rather than a card. Or say 25 maze runs through for the whole event, etc.

I think it would work if there were limits. Even once every two hour would work, or vip merlin pass holders only...

or vip merlin pass holders only...
That would exclude an awful lot of people!

I think this year would be the best of recent years to have freedom passes because there are two brand new mazes and one re-routed, and from what I've heard, they're all pretty extreme!

It would be pretty easy to set a limit, or even have those with an unlimited pass have to go to the Box Office to have a ticket printed, so it doesn't mess with queue times for the mazes.

Did the unlimited passes sell well when they were offered before?

That would exclude an awful lot of people!

I think this year would be the best of recent years to have freedom passes because there are two brand new mazes and one re-routed, and from what I've heard, they're all pretty extreme!
i was meaning it in a sarcastic way. It just seems like something merlin would do tbh.

So I've just seen a video of Nox Infernus, and it's exactly the reason I didn't want it to be free-flowing.

Alton towers has just had a few minutes on itv news an it seemed positive media for once, how the crash has affected local businesses and how it's scarier than ever.

Probably going to stop reading this thread now, don't want any spoilers :)

I hope it extends through the entire area, not seen anything of Dark Apocalypse yet. If it extends through the area, it might just be worth it. I was thinking it might only be in the tunnel in daylight because the actors wouldn't be able to get maximum scare potential in the daylight?

Last edited:
Judging by Towers Nerd Live there seems to be a lack of theming with both scare zones, and it's all on actors, lights and smoke.

Which is a shame really when we had Zombies last year (even the Fairytale one had good theming) I was hoping for something more like that but free flowing.

But then I'm not at the park today so maybe it's better than it looks.

Reactions: Tom
Was on park today and Nox Infernus was the tunnel and surrounding area, with pretty good lighting and a pretty good atmosphere.

Visited today so a few quick thoughts while it's fresh.

Park looks really nice mostly, although the fact the Rapids had to close because the cameras couldn't see anything is a pretty awful oversight, unless some lighting broke.

Nox Infernus I thought is a bit pointless, it's about 20 feet of green lighting under the scaffolding with some ghosts and wraiths. The description really oversells it.

Dark Apocalypse however was great, FV looked brilliant and being more spaced out ad darker made it a lot scarier and more interesting.

Won't do spoilers for the mazes, I'll just be brief.

Sub Species is amazing, as someone who had never done a scare maze before, it was exactly what I'd imagine a good one to be like, it seems to be getting universal acclaim from everybody, absolutely fantastic, and apparently there's an alternative ending which isn't finished yet, to mix things up for repeat visits.

Terror of the Towers was ok, didn't think it was bad, but wasn't impressed either. Just ok.

Molly Crowe was rubbish, the climax was really well done but otherwise poor. They tried something different with it but it screams of budget cuts.

Visited today so a few quick thoughts while it's fresh.

Sub Species is amazing, as someone who had never done a scare maze before, it was exactly what I'd imagine a good one to be like, it seems to be getting universal acclaim from everybody, absolutely fantastic, and apparently there's an alternative ending which isn't finished yet, to mix things up for repeat visits.

Terror of the Towers was ok, didn't think it was bad, but wasn't impressed either. Just ok.

Molly Crowe was rubbish, the climax was really well done but otherwise poor. They tried something different with it but it screams of budget cuts.

Thanks for the nice comments about the audio for Sub Species! That maze really does seem to be blowing everyone away!

Molly is something different and is all about story telling through sound - but the finale, we hope, certainly remains memorable!

I thought Nox Infernus and Dark Apocalypse worked really well, I can't compare it to any recent scare zones at Towers because it was my first visit at Scarefest since 2012 but I thought it worked well and added a decent atmosphere to the areas they were in.

I did two of the three mazes, Molly Crowe being the one which got missed out, Sub Species was fantastic and probably the best scare maze there has been at Towers during the Scarefest years but Terror of the Towers was grim, it's too predictable from start to finish.

A great showing from Towers on the first day though, really impressed with the atmosphere in the park and the effort at making Scarefest a great event, I haven't enjoyed Scarefest as much as I did yesterday since the first two years of Scarefest.

Haven't done the mazes yet, but did the two scare zones, I found the Nox Infernus one to be better than the Dark Apocalypse one, the actors in the former seemed to be approaching more people and blocking paths better than the actors in the latter.