Scarefest 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThemeParkJack, 2nd Nov 2014.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    You clearly went to a different Scarefest to the one that I did! It was by far the best Scarefest for a number of years not least because it actually felt like a fresh event with new attractions.

The scare zones this year were scare zones; not the 'mini-mazes' that they had been in previous years. I personally thought this worked much better as it allowed for some form of roaming actors in two areas of the park, something that people have been wanted for years! A 'mini-maze' like Scary Tales would have added to the event though of course.

Thorpe may appeared have more going on but what was going on was utter garbage and impossible to enjoy unless you count two hour queues as enjoyment? Fair enough if so. I can't comment on the other events you mention as I did not get to experience them but as seperately ticketed events they are somewhat different to Scarefest.

Of course Scarefest can always be improved but 2015 was better than previous years and a far cry from the awful 2014 event. Plus in Sub-Species they had an outstanding scare attraction. A terrible event? Most certainly not.

:)

2. nickhutson

nickhutson TowersStreet Member

The theme park industry is always proof you can't please everyone. Customer feedback was extremely positive I heard - so the event was certainly a success. Glad to have gone on the journey with everyone :)

phildenholm likes this.
  3. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Im sure it was Nick - it was a great Scarefest this year. Would be great to see the outcome of the surveys which were done - maybe if you could tell someone in Alton to publish them (and the fireworks) , that would be great to see.

4. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Scarefest isn't really my bag, but I had a great time in the mazes and the park, although feeling empty did a great job in terms of being 'classic' Alton Towers.

5. nickhutson

nickhutson TowersStreet Member

Publish the surveys? Or publish the music?

6. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I think its surveys. And also the music.
    I dont hold out much hope :D

7. James

James TS Founding Member

Music, no chance. Unless tracks get 'leaked'and Merlin's lawyers start a mass witch hunt. Surveys we'll never get to know of either. The most we'll ever hear from them is from any presentations/documents Merlin publish on their site.

Doesn't that stand for any industry? I'd be surprised if anyone's worked in an industry where you can please everyone. :p

If feedback has been positive then hopefully that will help to ensure we don't see the event hit hard in 2016!

8. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Surveys

9. Hobo joe

Hobo joe TowersStreet Member

People randomly fill it out to be honest

10. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Bump!

Alton Towers have won SCARECON awards for:
    - Best Use of Animatronic/SFX as a Set Piece (Haunting of Molly Crowe)
    - Best Halloween Scare Attraction - Sub Species

:)

Olii, AliceHL91, Leah and 1 other person like this.
  11. Spike

Spike TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Well done Towers!!

Molly Crow was indeed a new concept and un-nerving experience and Sub-Species was just like Alton going 'F**k it, let's throw the rule book out the window and go RAAAAWR!!!"

Great to see some positivity towards Alton :D

12. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Well deserved. I haven't done many scare attractions, but even I could tell that these were some of the best mazes towers have had in a long time, possibly ever. A repeat of this this year please towers :)

Who were the other winners of the other categories? Thorpe win anything?

Spike likes this.
  13. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Really not deserved at all.

2015 was not only by far the worst Scarefest to date, but the worst Halloween event I've ever attended. Only Sub Species was mildly amusing.

Error and Danny like this.
  14. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Why does it deserve this. Are you saying that last year (sanctuary - generally badly rated in its last year and few actors, and TotT - identical maze to previous years) was better. Love or hate being blindfolded, you can't argue that the finale of Molly Crowe was spectacular, and end games was far more than "mildly amusing". Even parkwide entertainment (music, actors, etc) was far better than other years.

Olii, Sku, Rosie and 4 others like this.
  15. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I can't tell whether you're being serious or not!

Sku likes this.
  16. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    Well deserved on the animatronic/SFX usage, however I really don't believe they deserved the best scare attraction.

17. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

I love your posts Pete.
    This made me laugh out loud.
    You have the majority saying well done towers and there's Pete.....brilliant! :D

PeteB likes this.
  18. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

They deserve the award for the ending of Molly Crowe, the special effects were brilliant and outshone the rest of the attraction, which I didn't care much for.

Happy for Sub Species too which was to me was pretty much perfect.

Excellent baiting, sir.

19. Mikey:SubTerra

Mikey:SubTerra TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I'm pleased Sub Species won this award. I really enjoyed this maze. Got to do it 4 times in a row with VIP, just me and my friend was quite intense was on my own for most of it.

My favourite time was in a group in front of the 3 doors, everyone was taken in but me. Then the lights went off and all the doors opened and then someone charged at me from each doorway! Before the lights went off again and I was dragged through a doorway.

Hope it returns this year!

20. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Well given that I didn't go to SF last year, I couldn't say how good or bad things were, but I'm still surprised to hear it won any awards. The reviews I read on this very site seemed mixed at best.
    Still, I suppose if nothing else, it should enourage them to keep the event going.

PeteB likes this.