• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2019

What do you reckon the chances of Sunday 20th being another “family friendly day” are? It’s our first visit to scarefest and I’m a little worried after hearing about people’s past experiences on these days?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully not as I am going on the 19th!

I think there’s a few issues with P42, it’s got a bit of a weak story line, which doesn’t really make sense as you go through it. In the pre show you are told you are looking for someone and you need to rescue him. In the end you never see him and never rescue him.

The maze seems overly loud with literally so much going on. Some scenes have loud audio, bangs, TV screens, strobes and actors, it’s all just a bit too much to take in plus each scene literally has so much junk piled high again it’s a bit too much to take in whilst you are rushing through.

I do think they missed a trick not using more of the rides features. This season the massive egg and theming is all boxed away and hidden, you very quickly walk through the two lifts which are not used at all. And then you have the old exit corridor which again doesn’t feature any actors when it could.

Finally you have the ending which is once again just very loud, you won’t even notice the stuff above you which seems a bit of a waste of time.

Would actually they brought back sub terra and even made the actors more intense or something for Scarefest

Finally you have the ending which is once again just very loud, you won’t even notice the stuff above you which seems a bit of a waste of time.
I agree with your feelings on it but you must have had a run through with no actors at the end, there were definitely quite a few when I did it. The ending with the figures on gantries I think is lit just as much as it should be this year, enough to make out there are people shooting you up there but obscured in the dark. In reality theyre just mannequins so youre not meant to see too clearly. My friends mentioned they saw them up there

the loudness and lights in your face is good towards the end but too constant through the whole maze, so it all becomes a bit of a blur I think

Still Scarefest was really great this year I think, I had a lot more to say about how good the others were than how underwhelming P42 was but there you go

It had no story. I refuse to call that attempt a story.
Zombies init.

I actually got the most scare of any maze I've done this year (which is nearly 20 mazes). I don't know why but I got a lot of jump scares. I do enjoy the sensory overload of it.

I'm not saying it's a good maze, it definitely could do with improving, just must have gotten a particularly good run.

They should put a 400ft drop tower underneath the sub terra building which drops you into the depths of where the Nemesis lives. :cool:

Trying to book Mine Tours and it won’t let me select a time slot or date, just goes straight to checkout. Any reason why?

Quick review of some of the mazes:

Darkest Depths - Great theming, a lot of fun. Acting was very good. Only problem was the ending, because there didnt seem to be one.

Project 42 - Loads of fun in some places. Apart from some moments missing actors, it was a very good maze and got quite scary in moments.

Altonville Mine Tours - Actors were GREAT, I loved this maze and it was very well themed. Was generally just a lot of fun. The only problem was it felt really short.

Subspecies - Dissapointing.

Spent the past 2 days in the park , my thoughts:

Park atmosphere and lighting : lighting generally the same as last year, most theming on towers Street but appreciate the effort to at least have something in other areas of the park, such as the bunting by Hex. I did notice a lot more smoke machines around the park which really added to the atmosphere. However, if I could say it was one thing missing which really used to give the place a scarefest atmosphere....it's the scare zones. They need them back. Annoyingly, where the circus of freaks was they had lit up with pretty lights but advertising David Walliams for next year. Pity they didn't use the lighting to make it a scare zone. I also didn't find the scarefest music as noticeable this year as last. However, I loved the new ride pumpkins on towers Street, and the 3 ghosts by the skyride station. They were great.

Mazes....

Darkest Depths : 4/5 , really enjoyed this, finally not for kids, did 2 run throughs and both were very good. Really enjoyed it and the experience of walking on different surfaces really added to the experience. Would like to see this return next year maybe a bit longer. Having a room which rocked back and forth with the kraken appearing on each side would have been fab of that was possible but as it stands it was very good.

Altonville mines 4.5/5 : Again this was the stand out maze this year as it was for me last year. The actors were superb and so easy the comedy value in some of the scenes. Length was good, as were the scares. Love the atmosphere of this maze, only thing that slightly let it down was the ending but otherwise very good. Did it twice and both run throughs were excellent.

Project 42 : 2/5 : Also did this twice and I hope it doesn't return next year. Not that many scares on both runs and inside is the same weird mix of layout as it was last year. Same bizarre ending as well. Pity they don't open the ride back up and forget it as a scaremaze.

Subspecies 3/5 : maybe we didn't have a good run through but we didn't come across many actors. Lots of very dark rooms with nothing in them. Met the strange alien creature who didn't really do much, best actor was the guy with the chainsaw at the end. Would be great next year of they brought back the sanctuary instead of this as we had the same poor experience last year.

The Attic 5/5 : loved this on both runs we did. The atmosphere and theming is superb. You really do feel like your in the attic. The actors were excellent. I also liked the story line in particular the fireplace bit. Yes, the ending was abrupt and could be better, but overall this was my highlight maze this year. I think of they could sort the ending of and make it a bit 'bigger' this would be an outstanding maze next year. However I'm giving it top marks for the atmosphere, lighting, and acting within it. Really enjoyed it.

Overall I think this year's scarefest was an improvement on last year's. What would really add more atmosphere next year would be the return of the free scaremazes and actirs walking the park, however otherwise we had a great 2 days.

The Attic 5/5 : loved this on both runs we did. The atmosphere and theming is superb. You really do feel like your in the attic. The actors were excellent. I also liked the story line in particular the fireplace bit.
Couldnt agree more, it was incredible for a temporary maze in this country. The performer who did the living room on my run through did a fabulous job too, really fantastic set up with a lot of surprises and mystery in store

I must of had a bad run on attic. 7pm Saturday night last maze of the day, just felt a bit empty. Not enough going on compared to other mazes. Great theming though.

Darkest depths defo winning of the night. How did this get passed as a family maze lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone remind me exactly where the ghost projections are? Don't want to miss them tomorrow. Thx