• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2019

Am I the only one who finds the "squeeze through a pair of airbags" thing bloody annoying? Not remotely scary, and breaks the flow of any maze it is inserted in to.

Maybe I just had good runs when I went through it. Every time there was actors running through it and banging on the sides screaming in your face - it was intense and a lot of fun. Maybe you think this because you didn't have a particularly good experience with this part or something...?

Right, P42 (3pm)...even worse than TotT!

The preshow was dull, theming, uninteresting, half all hiding places, unused...
It was dire!
I was touched more than in TotT though...a whole one time...because I crashed into the wall and was being directed the right way...anyway, after making my way through many empty rooms, I got to the strobe maze (which takes up an entire quarter of the maze) and didn't encounter a single actor until the last 2 rooms...I then walked out with a zombie staring at me...4/10

I really think that P42 should go before anything else, it's that bad! It also just doesn't feel like an AT maze, if that makes sense?

So far, scarefest is looking dire, the kids pirate maze is scarier and better than both TotT and P42!

The utter lack of story
After the preshow there was zero story at all it was just walking through a spooky attic...and then hell...

Scene diversity
The vast majority of the maze was spent just walking through nondescript hallways with the same drawing all over the walls...and walking through nondescript hallways with black tentacles all over the walls.

No escalation
Nothing ever seemed to escalate, the final scene was just as slow paced as the start. And hell...felt exactly like the attic hallways, even presenting the same style of scares as the pre-fireplace hallways.

The ending
There is non, you just walk through some hallways no different from the ones before then you leave!
Your experience pretty much describes the exact opposite of my experience.

Attic was the best story led maze Ive ever done where the story actually worked and was a part of the tension (not just some wordy backstory adding nothing to the actual walkthrough)

The preshow was my favourite maze preshow Ive ever done by far, fantastic interaction and atmosphere (NOT just a TV!), very well performed and scripted, set up the experience really nicely.

Once you're up the stairs it changed to become kinda surreal, jumpy and spooky with the ghosts (not hardcore scares obviously), each scene was a step deeper into weirdness than the previous with a great atmosphere. No idea why youd criticise it being too samey, the sets were far from nondescript, this was one of the best themed mazes I think AT have ever done!

I remember it escalating with the music and the exploration deeper into the attic (I was totally disorientated where I was). The strange change of tone when you see the ghosts rising and discovering the bloke screaming "I did it!" This is all part of the story and escalation

You follow the children into the fire, the scenery completely changes, you come into tight corridors burning with heat and effects, how does this bare any resemblence to the attic hallways previously?

Then that weird curveball with the krampus type figure. I think it maybe lacked a spectacle to end on but I came out loving it loads. It should have been advertised as somewhere between Darkest Depths and Mine Tours to avoid people expecting hardcore.

I only did it once, all this stuck in my head more than most mazes Ive done. How totally strange that two people could go through the same maze and have the opposite experience. Each to their own of course. Although I think it's very unfair to say it was bereft of story or scenery when it is clearly the most theatrical and scenic maze at the park.

Great day on park yesterday, best I’ve had in years tbh. Not been to Scarefest since I was still at School 8 years ago so it was my first time doing the mazes and I thought they were brilliant. Skin Snatchers definitely the favourite (didnt do the new mazes) we had a smaller group (6) & I led so got loads of really close up interaction with all the actors and some brilliant jump scares. Rated P42 better than a few on here but it was the weaker maze we did in terms of the “overall package”, very intense for scares though and we got followed a fair bit.

All 7 main coasters plus Duel, Spinball, Hex & Rapids done with the longest wait being 45min for a wicker man night ride. Wickerman & Thirteen give out 2 of the best night rides out there in my opinion.

Overall just a brilliant day with good weather & good scares. Do wish that the Skyride didn’t close early though, my legs are feeling it this morning :rolleyes:

Your experience pretty much describes the exact opposite of my experience.

Attic was the best story led maze Ive ever done where the story actually worked and was a part of the tension (not just some wordy backstory adding nothing to the actual walkthrough)

The preshow was my favourite maze preshow Ive ever done by far, fantastic interaction and atmosphere (NOT just a TV!), very well performed and scripted, set up the experience really nicely.

Once you're up the stairs it changed to become kinda surreal, jumpy and spooky with the ghosts (not hardcore scares obviously), each scene was a step deeper into weirdness than the previous with a great atmosphere. No idea why youd criticise it being too samey, the sets were far from nondescript, this was one of the best themed mazes I think AT have ever done!

I remember it escalating with the music and the exploration deeper into the attic (I was totally disorientated where I was). The strange change of tone when you see the ghosts rising and discovering the bloke screaming "I did it!" This is all part of the story and escalation

You follow the children into the fire, the scenery completely changes, you come into tight corridors burning with heat and effects, how does this bare any resemblence to the attic hallways previously?

Then that weird curveball with the krampus type figure. I think it maybe lacked a spectacle to end on but I came out loving it loads. It should have been advertised as somewhere between Darkest Depths and Mine Tours to avoid people expecting hardcore.

I only did it once, all this stuck in my head more than most mazes Ive done. How totally strange that two people could go through the same maze and have the opposite experience. Each to their own of course. Although I think it's very unfair to say it was bereft of story or scenery when it is clearly the most theatrical and scenic maze at the park.
I went in TotT again, and it was better. The preshow was much the same and still just ok (I just don't find it very engaging, I think it's because of the robotic and detached way the actor speaks)

Once up the stairs, I feel the multiple attic (storage?) chambers all look too similar and it felt like I was walking through the same room repeatedly, once you get to the doll room, it's fine from there...for some reason, after my 1st run, I remembered the 1 hallway with drawings on the walls, taking up much more of the maze than it did...I don't know why (maybe its my brain getting mixed up with the fire scenes and mentally filling in the blanks)

As for the ghosts rising and a man saying "I did it", on both runs, I don't recall anything like that, but, on both runs, there was a hallway where I just walked along the bare wall with a big black curtain on the right (it seemed like it was backstage) could that have been a broken effect?

I remember seeing the children leading me into the fire on the first run but it never sunk in until reading your reply, The fireplace looks similar to the one picture hallway and I misremembered it as being much bigger than it was.

The hell/fireplace scenes were just simply boring and after the mild shock of seeing the demon...it just stands there doing nothing until it lets you continue to the exit!

When I said "escalation", I meant physical escalation, the actors becoming more aggressive and the scares being ramped up ect(like the old TotT) but instead, you go from children jumping out and yelling BOO! In an attic...to a strange man and satan jumping out and yelling BOO! In ??? The "final" is just as slow paced as the first room.

I think my earlier confusion with the hallway thing, is because most of the pre-fireplace scenes all look structurally similar, (same gray wooden walls and floors ect) and lack any prominent unique elements...with the exception of the doll room and the bedroom, the defining element of each scene is too subtle...for example, there's one room where someone appears at the window, but since its tucked away in a corner, nothing draws attention to it and (In my runs) the actors just ignored it, it just didn't stick out that much...

Anyway, my 2nd run, it was just as "scary" as last time, which made it even more of an out of place shock when the guy in front got dragged away and put at the back...other than that, it was very tame...

I also went in Darkest Depths again today and it was even tamer than TotT so its possible that I just had 2 abnormally good runs of it!

In other news, I went in Dungeons and it was just like normal except there were 2 actors in the Black River (onload) Station instead of one, and I think that the script in the courtroom was slightly changed but I doubt that's anything to do with scarefest.

I thought ToT was conceptually super interesting, and I loved it for that. The theatrics were amazing. However the scare factor wasn't really there. I'd mmput it below Darkest Depths although perhaps the content makes it unsuitable for younger ages.

Outside of that it was my first time doing any scare mazes ever today. I thought everything was fantastic. Maybe because it's all new to me and your all grizzled veterans by now.

Project 42

Probably the weakest of the big three but the geek in me liked being back in N:ST. Seeing as I'm a newbie I don't know what other people think of certain elements. I'm not a fan of the big squeeze, maybe of actors could push back against it. Maybe they do this but I didn't experience it.

Honestly though I thought there would be more scares and touching. Seemed a little lacking but having different mazes at different levels of scare factor seems a good idea.

Mine Tours

By far my favourite Maze. I love love love the theme. When I was a kid I loved cave tours at places like Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge.

Loved the entrance and also how your really felt like you'd gone miles underground.

I had the Helmet and it was a little small for my head.

But honestly all the scenes in the maze were great. Gas masks creep me out and I soley blame Dr Who for that.

Sub Species

I had a terrible run through. I wish I had time for another run. I don't know how much was my fault but I went the right way first time. I had no idea the layout of the maze but still never went back on myself or hit a dead end.

I hardly saw any actors to guide me the wrong way and I felt I slipped through the cracks and ended up in front of them almost. Either way it seems like a nicely themed maze and being separated is fun but...

Was it my fault for walking a little too quick?

I just think it's so dependant on too many factors. I was out of the labyrinth as soon as I entered pretty much and the one actor I did encounter didn't interact at all.

The biggest scare I got was in the dark room from someone else in my own group. Even the ending way weak. The chainsaw guy just stood there. It's honestly seemed like everyone was tired.

Overall will be doing mazes again and glad I got to experience these set before they could potentially change next year.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I'm doing the mazes later on today and I'll admit I'm a wuss when it comes to mazes as I've never been in one and I'm scared. What is the best one that is fun but not too scary? I like the look of project 42 and the deep but the mine tours one doesn't seem ideal for me as it looks creepy as hell

I was just thinking - what actually is an air cannon?

I looked on the internet and there didn't seem to be anything named 'air cannon' that looks like what is used in scare mazes.

I'm just curious but if anyone knows I would appreciate any information. :)

I was just thinking - what actually is an air cannon?

I looked on the internet and there didn't seem to be anything named 'air cannon' that looks like what is used in scare mazes.

I'm just curious but if anyone knows I would appreciate any information. :)

It’s a device that uses compressed air to make a loud noise and blow air on you. They are the things that go off during thirteens false drop just before the main drop. Used a lot in scare mazes.

They also tend to use the gadget shop inverted bucket guns.
Had one for years...a bucket style hard plastic thing, with a soft plastic diaphragm and elastic puller.
Shoots a ball of air, about ten yards.
Pets love em!
Great fun.

Hey everyone I'm doing the mazes later on today and I'll admit I'm a wuss when it comes to mazes as I've never been in one and I'm scared. What is the best one that is fun but not too scary? I like the look of project 42 and the deep but the mine tours one doesn't seem ideal for me as it looks creepy as hell

Honestly once you do the first one you’ll be buzzing to do the rest, the suspense is what freaked me out the most but once I was in there I was so glad I went in. P42 is probably a good one to start on, theres less touching and you won’t get split up (unless like me and my group you get lost in the strobe maze and end up in an actor corridor lol). It’s probably more “intense” in terms of jump scares than AMT but it’s less creepy and atmospheric I found, and it’s definitely not as crazy as Sub Species.

I went in TotT again, and it was better. The preshow was much the same and still just ok (I just don't find it very engaging, I think it's because of the robotic and detached way the actor speaks)
Ahh it sounds like the unfortunate case of mazes becoming lax as the weeks go on. The performer was brilliant on my run and the beautiful room being a part of the whole preshow made it very nice and engaging.

Especially when most mazes begin with a briefing announcement, a mumbling actor or a prerecorded video. The Darkest Depths preshow guy was brilliant in his role too come to think of it.

Maybe the rooms could have had more variation and a more impactful ending. But to be honest it baffles me why Alton Towers fans are so incredibly harsh on the parks mazes, apart from Project 42 last year. Have they been to the similarly priced Screamfest Burton or even Tulley's (which is a great event but the mazes are very average), we're getting it pretty good at Alton Towers! And Thorpe Park, ok you dont pay for the mazes there but the difference is huge.

Ive seen lots of others on social media put things like the Zombies scare zone (a marquee with some zombies in it) on a big pedestal as "back when Scarefest was Scarefest". Might not be to everyone's taste but we now have two of the best new mazes ever and more custom park decoration than ever. Some fans (not so much on here) just moan regardless and want The Sanctuary back, which was great but only on par with what we now have in my opinion.

It's a shame when you get a 'bad run'. I often voice disappointment about the park and think a lot has declined in recent years, but credit where it's due, I feel like fans are having it great for Scarefest this year

Honestly once you do the first one you’ll be buzzing to do the rest, the suspense is what freaked me out the most but once I was in there I was so glad I went in. P42 is probably a good one to start on, theres less touching and you won’t get split up (unless like me and my group you get lost in the strobe maze and end up in an actor corridor lol). It’s probably more “intense” in terms of jump scares than AMT but it’s less creepy and atmospheric I found, and it’s definitely not as crazy as Sub Species.

I did the deepest depths one. I didn't think much of it. I heard with the project 42 you have to run all the way through it but I imagine that's not true

Ahh it sounds like the unfortunate case of mazes becoming lax as the weeks go on. The performer was brilliant on my run and the beautiful room being a part of the whole preshow made it very nice and engaging.

Especially when most mazes begin with a briefing announcement, a mumbling actor or a prerecorded video. The Darkest Depths preshow guy was brilliant in his role too come to think of it.

Maybe the rooms could have had more variation and a more impactful ending. But to be honest it baffles me why Alton Towers fans are so incredibly harsh on the parks mazes, apart from Project 42 last year. Have they been to the similarly priced Screamfest Burton or even Tulley's (which is a great event but the mazes are very average), we're getting it pretty good at Alton Towers! And Thorpe Park, ok you dont pay for the mazes there but the difference is huge.

Ive seen lots of others on social media put things like the Zombies scare zone (a marquee with some zombies in it) on a big pedestal as "back when Scarefest was Scarefest". Might not be to everyone's taste but we now have two of the best new mazes ever and more custom park decoration than ever. Some fans (not so much on here) just moan regardless and want The Sanctuary back, which was great but only on par with what we now have in my opinion.

It's a shame when you get a 'bad run'. I often voice disappointment about the park and think a lot has declined in recent years, but credit where it's due, I feel like fans are having it great for Scarefest this year

I agree with at lot of this. Alton Mazes have incredible production value. While I had a god awful run on SS I can see the appeal. I think for many of the mazes however they've just overstayed their welcome when Scarefests in the past have varied their Mazes quite frequently.

I think you kinda end up straying into the fact where most diehard fans (Typically those willing to write on fan forums) seems as if they hate the very thing that are fans of, whilst all they want is the best.

However I still don't really get it. Every maze at towers this year is absolutely fantastic arguably excluding P42/ToT depending on how you feel.

I also think some people have some rose tinted view of scarezones. For example if reintroducing a scare zone meant a decline in quality of a maze or even it's removal all together I would not want that.

I imagine the courtyard maze would be on the chopping block in that case and Darkest Depths is absolutely fantastic. Most people seem to be MAP holders anyway now a days. It's only £4.80.

I paid £28 for every maze last night and paid nothing to get in the park. I still think that's very good value.

Anyway this is kinda getting way off topic now.

Who would’ve thought a 10+ maze would be so intense?

Went in at 1.15pm to Darkest Depths. (Well more like half past as there was technical issues). There was a group of about 10-12 of us, however we quickly got split up so it was just two of us together going through the maze.

Seems like the actors loved this as they went very intense! Quite a scary edition for a 10+

Sounds pretty chaotic at Towers today according to Twitter. Monorails down they're running out of parking spaces...

As pointed out on the replies, buses don't run Sundays, and 1.25pm is a bit late to be tweeting this.

They’ve apologised for the rookie error.
But hey it’s better than nothing

00866249-7-DC4-47-B6-B550-B371-ED4-ED94-A.jpg

And now they r only letting u in if u have pre-booked tickets! Be interesting what they do with people that have MAP and have booked mazes?