• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2019

I'm not one to sit around listening to theme park music, and I haven't heard most of these in context. However, I prefer almost all of them to IMAscore's bludgeoning, post-EDM nonsense, and the Welcoming soundtrack is a genuinely great piece of music.

I know this sounds like a big request, but could someone describe a full walkthrough of What Lies Within ToTT, as I never actually experienced it. I skipped it the last few years it was running and now regret it. I would really appreciate it.

The audio is definitely some of the strongest Scarefest audio around since 2012/2013. Especially The Attic finale music, which I found helped create quite an intense atmosphere towards the end of the maze.

It'll be interesting to see the direction the guys take Scarefest next year. I'd like to see them keep Darkest Depths and The Attic to be honest, they're both strong attractions and deserve their spot on the line-up completely. But as for the maze which deserves the cull, it's a hard choice.

Sub Species by rights deserves it in terms of length of time its been at the event and how stale it's starting to become, but I found Project 42 a far weaker maze. Perhaps if they have enough budget I'd like to see Sub Species and Project be either re-worked or scrapped entirely. Mine Tours does need attention to its finale but it's quite a solid maze in my opinion.

One thing I did think really worked well was the projection mapping of the ghosts by the Skyride station, and the skeletons on The Towers. They both drew a fair bit of attention! I'd love to see more of that rolled out across the park.

This in my opinion has been one of the strongest Scarefest line-ups since 2010. It's amazing how different Scarefest is treated compared to years like 2014 which was a half-arsed event. I personally think the maze quality has improved leaps and bounds since the early 2010's, but that's my own opinion.

I did the Attic on Tuesday and The Darkest Depths yesterday.

I thought they both were themed well. The pre-show in the Attic was good. Both mazes gave great atmosphere, but unlike the other mazes that I did a few weeks ago, these lack the scares, however no two maze runs are ever the same and it also depends where you stand in the group.

Spent the day at Scarefest yesterday - and although it was busy, it certainly wasn't unbearable.

The Queue Times crowd calendar had predicted 89% capacity, but in reality it was only around 65%. So there were definitely queues for things, but nothing over 75 min all day, as far as I could see.

We had platinum fast track though, which was 100% worth the money. Another couple was telling us at the start of the day that the park had sold out of platinum (they'd wanted to buy them but didn't buy in time) - so I was expecting to have to stand around in lots of fast track queues. But I needn't have worried, most fast track queues were five or ten minutes. I understand the aggravation some people have with fast track; but as this was my only visit of the year, and my first time, I'm glad that we paid the extra. Untill Merlin introduce a more egalitarian fast track system (like Disney's timed slots), then I'd probably get it again. We managed to get 22 rides in yesterday, which isn't bad considering we didn't get on park and ready to go untill noon.

Good to see lots of people in the Halloween spirit and dressed up! The decorations around Towers Street were great also.

For a first time visit, I don't think it could have been a better experience. Thanks to everyone here for all the tips and tricks!

Last edited:
Went through Darkest Depths yesterday. Only 5 of us in a group, actors were brilliant and we certainly did not get a family maze experience! I've had tamer runs through the 15+ mazes, very impressed. Hope this returns next year with the age recommendation upped.

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk

Another couple was telling us at the start of the day that the park had sold out of platinum (they'd wanted to buy them but didn't buy in time) - so I was expecting to have to stand around in lots of fast track queues. But I needn't have worried, most fast track queues were five or ten minutes.
They don't sell a lot of platinum, so it can sell out when the park isn't *that* busy. If gold and silver sell out too you'd have known about it, that's when fastrack queues for Rita, Smiler & WM can get long, or if long if priority passes have been given out due to breakdowns.

It asked about rides being open later being one of the main reasons for visiting scarefest. I'm hoping this means they're considering opening later throughout the year next season

That sort of question is usually used to determine what to cut. Whatever gets the lowest score will disappear, with the explanation "guest feedback tells us people don't want XXX..."

It sucks that they never give you chance to explain why. I mean, it's good of them that they don't put an essay box if they aren't going to read it, but some of my answers are harsh and easy fixes could raise them a lot.

Thought this was an interesting questioning angle

YyLrCjy_d.jpg

I answered the above in a similar way. There aren't many UK theme parks that offer late riding AND scare mazes like Merlin. BPB Scare Attractions always seem lacking and as great as Tulley's is I can't ride WM in the dark there.

Wish I could have written an essay lol

Well the marketing team have been known to be that deluded before...

I would expect Sub Species and Project 42 to get low scores in the survey this year. Hopefully that may give them a hint its time to change them for next year. Also I would expect the question about "themeing across the park" to get a lukewarm response. Pity they didnt include a question about the free scarezones they had in the past and if people would like to see them return.

I answered the above in a similar way. There aren't many UK theme parks that offer late riding AND scare mazes like Merlin. BPB Scare Attractions always seem lacking and as great as Tulley's is I can't ride WM in the dark there.

Wish I could have written an essay lol

Exactly, but on the other hand I was impressed by the number of roaming actors at tulleys, and the live music (and very interactive bands) really got the atmosphere up. Plus there was so much fire!

Did that make up for late night rollercoaster rides, it was different.

I understand Alton towers is vast, and themeing the whole park would be hard. But key central areas (looking at you Fountain Square, walkway by mutiny bay, haunted hollow, nemesis gun) could have some themeing. And the lights, it really was abysmal. Especially wickerman which was so great last year.

All of that lead to, yeah it's a good night and way more atmosphere at other times of the year, but give it a bit more effort. Every day in scarefest is busy, and they charge more, make it special.

Think they would 100% ignore email feedback?

They do ignore feedback. It was the same about no Scare Zones and poor lighting last year. These surveys are pointless.
This year there has been a lot of comments on social media about the lack of atmosphere on park outside the indoor mazes, more than ever. Will be interesting to see if they address it for 2020.