• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2020

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Well, with Scarefest over for another year, do we think The Attic and Darkest Depths could return next year? Could we even see a return of the scare zones or more new mazes for the 40th anniversary? Speculate away!

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if we had exactly the same lineup of scare mazes next year.

The Attic and Darkest Depths appeared to both be huge successes, especially the latter. In my opinion though, it was a little scary to be called a "family" maze and essentially replace House of Monsters.

Altonville Mine Tours gets better with age, however 2019 was it's 4th season. Personally I wouldn't be too upset regardless of whether that stays or goes.

Sub Species has just had it's 5th season, and despite it being "award winning" it seems to be the same thing every year for me. I find it a little stale now, however I wouldn't be surprised if Towers kept it.

Project 42 was poor last year, and even worse this year. I hope this goes and is replaced by a superior attraction next year, but I'm not sure that will happen.

With regard to the scare zones, they won't be coming back. Nor will roaming actors. A number of AT employees have told me these were removed because they were "scaring young children"...I mean, it is called Scarefest.

I do feel that over the last few years Scarefest has lost its Halloween touch on park. These days, one you go beyond Towers Street you wouldn't know it was Halloween but for it's late night opening.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I hope scare zones return but rather than having escape routes, could it be the main paths are normal and the escape routes are scare zones?

With regard to the scare zones, they won't be coming back. Nor will roaming actors. A number of AT employees have told me these were removed because they were "scaring young children"...I mean, it is called Scarefest.

I'd hazard a guess that this isn't their prime reason. If they were so bothered that they were scaring young children, they'd just revert back to the model they adopted in 2014 with Zombies in the pathway between Dark Forest and the pathway between The Towers & TH13TEEN. It's out the way, it's got a designated entrance, etc.

I'd say the main reason is they cannot really upcharge a Scare Zone like they can with a Scare Maze. It'll all come down to revenue, especially with the growth figures for the Halloween events across the Merlin RTP portfolio.

It will never happen but I'd like to see the return of mazes near the hotels. Having something to do around the Resort after 9pm was terrific.

More realistically, the return of *some* attempt at Halloween decoration and atmosphere across the park would be nice. There was no sense of it being a proper 'event' at all this year, which is a shame because the mazes were very good.

I would hazard a guess and say that the line up will be the same. If I could choose to replace a maze however it would be Project 42.

I thought this year Sub Species and Mine Tours had some subtly changes to actor placement which made it feel fresh again.

I’ll be the first to say, bring back the field! No chance though, can make just as much money with lots less effort. Exactly the reason scare zones won’t be back, can’t really be up charged

For me personally Scarefest 2019 had the strongest maze line up I've experienced at Scarefest (Bare in mind I've only been in 2010, 2016 and 2019) the only real weak link for me was Project 42. Ideally I'd see that go and have the event revert back to 3 mazes, replacing P42 with a couple scare zones.

I would love to see darkest depths return as a 15+ maze. During my four visits to scarefest and three to fireworks I hardly saw a queue and if there were people waiting, they were mostly adults. I sadly think this is the reason it remained for fireworks, I don’t think it sold very well.
I feel like sub species could be ripped out now and a brand new maze put in.
Mine tours was really strong so I expect that to return, along with the attic.
I’d love to see some scare zones around the park. Like others have said previously, once you left towers street it hardly felt like Halloween at all.

I’ll be the first to say, bring back the field! No chance though, can make just as much money with lots less effort. Exactly the reason scare zones won’t be back, can’t really be up charged

The Field was great, but with mazes now being exclusively on park then bring it back really is not feasible.

What is/was the field?

The Field of 1000 Screams was a corn field scare maze over at the hotels which ran from 2007 to 2009. Part of the Enchanted Village now occupies where it once was. When the mazes were at the hotels they stayed open until 11pm.

The Field of 1000 Screams was a corn field scare maze over at the hotels which ran from 2007 to 2009. Part of the Enchanted Village now occupies where it once was. When the mazes were at the hotels they stayed open until 11pm.
That sounds really good. I've done a few corn field scare mazes, and really enjoy the atmosphere they create.

Project 42 is awful and needs to go. In my opinion Sub Species is the only maze worth visiting in the £20 combi ticket since Altonville Mines has also been going downhill each year since opening, and I refused to buy the ticket on that principal. It's just dragging the other two's dead weight. I think Merlin know that Sub Species is by far their best attraction and are capitalising on that for as long as possible.

Having said that Sub Species has never let me down, and I really enjoyed The Attic and Darkest Depths this year and would be more than happy to see them return next year.

I'd love to see the scare zones and heavier/spookier theming return too but I know that's highly unlikely :(

That's interesting. I suspect it will be some sort of experience in the Gardens. I cannot imagine them opening them up with additional lighting after dark, H&S would be too much of an issue for them.

Could be a bit like Kew at Christmas?

Quite a few of these events have popped up now and they seem extremely popular.

If not that then ghost tours with some special lighting and a few special effects?

Think there are some ways to mediate the most serious risks (a carefully chosen path).

The bit about celebrating Corkscrew's 40th birthday sounds interesting, as does the bit about celebrating their past & present thrill rides in the summer!

I wonder what they're going to do to celebrate Corkscrew's 40th birthday?