• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2020

An interesting snippet of info from this Sentinel article published today:

Wonder what this could be? A maze/scare zone in the gardens? Or just some kind of lighting to open them up after dark?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/wha...ers-3864333.amp#click=https://t.co/Q4WCgyKq1n

I'll take it with a pinch of salt until it appears on one of Alton's official web/social media site. I still remember seeing reported in the news, and I posted it on here that the Alton (last season 2019) fireworks were supposed to have live music. It never happened...

Regarding the gardens scaremaze, could a scare show in one of the houses not work?
Maybe have a group move from room to room witnessing different hauntings play out in each before leaving through the entrance and letting the next group in!

It would be great to have a proper kids maze back. House of Monsters was brilliant and although Darkest Depths was great last year, it’s really not a kids maze, and wasn’t aimed at young children anyway.

Sub-Species is a classic, never had the same experience twice. I’ll be gutted when they do get rid of it and expect it to return again this year. It’s also the only one that does still get me every time!

I hope that they update The Attic, P42 and Skin Snatchers if they come back. Not anything fancy, just a progression of the story. Something like Sub Species doesn’t really have a story, it’s a situation that you find yourself in, so to me, it feels like it makes more sense for it to stay the same, especially when there isn’t a set route. The others are so story-based that if they stay the same, it feels stale and is the same experience. I know Skin Snatchers is very popular but it’s the same every year. The concept is great, the actors are always great, the theming is great, just a progression of the story, even in a little way would be nice. Same goes for The Attic and Project 42.

If they replace anything, fingers crossed for me it is Project 42 or Skin Snatchers. I think we are sorely missing at least one ride themed maze (a la The Sanctuary, rather than Sub Species or P42). Maybe something in Dark Forest? Such a boring location and the scare zone that year really livened the place up.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but how do you think Covid 19 will affect scarefest and the mazes?

After thinking about it, I think we might see some drastic changes to the mazes because, not only will they (probably) not be able to touch guests, there's also the risk of guests jumping and falling into each other, It's also likely that actors will not be able to get in guests faces without either them, or the guests wearing face masks.
Another issue is throughput, assuming they are only allowed to send 1 party of guests per group, could we see it switch to a more queueline walkthrough style of batching? (if that makes sense)

Also, doesn't this seem like the perfect opportunity to bring back the old style of scarezones?

I can't think how they could do a socially distanced maze, and I imagine the entertainments budget has been cut to almost nothing this year. I'll be surprised if Scarefest goes ahead this year

I can’t see how anywhere can do any kind of Halloween event.

You could maybe do ents and scarezones but I can’t see mazes working if socially distance is still a thing.

How could you group people together from other households? Actors being two metres away is hardly going to be scary. Plus dark places aren’t great for keeping 2 metres apart.

For towers I would love to see 9pm closes and stuff, but if they limiting numbers I can’t see that happening.

However October is a while away so things may have changed by then.

This is a tricky one.
Not something I usually do, no interest nowadays, dont do crowds.
Autumn half term is now a real cash cow, never used to be in my youth,but merlin will not want a bad autumn as well
Having had to do loads of kids scary parties over the years, there are a number of ways to keep the attractions running, safely, it just needs fewer numbers and more attractions with less staff.
Double rope walks were a favourite.
Two ropes with bits of drain tube in them, you had to hold the tubes at all times...on into the darkness.
Round the house in the dark, with a few distant ticklers and an air jet.
Few flicks of water and dropped metal trays, couple of suddenly lit tableau, smoke and strobe on the way out.
Easy done with no contact.
And if foreign parks are a guide, we will all be ignoring the rules by then anyway.

A few weeks ago I would have thought any form of Scarefest practically impossible, however the rate Government advice currently changes, I could see hug-a-scare-actor being a Government mandated requisite for entry.

Assuming social distancing remains, any form of indoor attraction seems a no go. However they could certainly take advantage of the abundance of outdoor space and essentially turn the entire grounds into a giant scare zone, or at least several zones within the grounds. There does remain an issue of maintaining social distancing between groups in the dark though.

I’m kinda guessing that it takes months of planning and costs a lot to put together. I doubt merlin would take the risk of pumping money into scarefest or even fireworks this year. Firstly obviously the set budget will probably be out the window, secondly the amount of money they have lost so far I doubt they will take the risk of trying to put it together if out the blue they are forced to shut again. Plus you also have to factor in they will be on reduce capacity for the rest of season so this year it wouldn’t be worth it.

I cant see anything going ahead apart from the kids show and that'll be on limited capacity. Project 42 is definitely gone because it's obvious.

Can't see Scarefest or fireworks happening this year. It would certainly be nice if they still had a go at hosting Oktoberfest, but I doubt it. Maybe they will do it next year instead.

Hopefully skipping a year means that they will go all out with all new attractions in 2021; the whole event has been in real need of a refresh for a while now. Maybe more emphasis on scare zones if the virus is still about, too.

Maybe we should focus on what CAN work...

Definitely Duel live,
Reworked old style scarezones,
Maybe a House of Monsters style maze,
A Halloween themed 4D show,
A dramatised guided ghost walk,
A stand alone scare show?,
Hex live?

Can't think of anything else...

They could definitely still do it, and it might be a good way to encourage people to visit. Universal is apparently looking at ways to do a socially distanced HHN, and that is a considerably larger event, so I definitely wouldn’t rule out things like Oktoberfest and Scarefest.

They could definitely still do it, and it might be a good way to encourage people to visit. Universal is apparently looking at ways to do a socially distanced HHN, and that is a considerably larger event, so I definitely wouldn’t rule out things like Oktoberfest and Scarefest.

i think with limited capacity and no entertainment budget this season and the uncertainty of what the rest of the year holds. I think it’s safe to say they wouldn’t risk it this year.

Wouldn't they be starting construction soon as well? It takes place during the summer. By the time the lockdown ends it would be too late. They wont risk it.

I wouldn’t place bets on it happening, but I also wouldn’t rule it out completely, either; we’ll have to see what happens over the next few weeks & months.

I would expect some form of "scarefest" event to take place if the park is operating, but it might be scaled back to rides in the dark and limited decorations and family shows only.

Social distancing could be difficult in the dark though, but I'd hope they would find a way around it.