Scarefest vs Covid-19

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USCopCarHire, 18th Sep 2020.

1. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I don't see it changing anything. Unfortunately although it might not be a main area of spreading, social activities and venues are not essential in the same way work and food shopping is.

2. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    but they can be essential to people mental health and well being.

skyscraper likes this.
  3. jon81uk

Oh definitely.

When people were mainly meeting outdoors and picnicing etc this was much simpler, but now its getting cooler and everyone wants to be indoors it is going to be hard.

Swarm Chris likes this.
  4. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    exactly, you’ve made my point better than I did haha. The great outdoors is fantastic for your mental health, just a walk through on of our local woodlands can help clear my mind for the day. I guess it could be a case of getting the old Parka out soon:) I wonder if there is any chance of towers utilising their gardens again over winter.

5. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Absolutely agree. I could argue that my Towers trip is essential for my mental health as I've had such a hard year and this is one of the only things I've had to look forward to.

6. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    towers has always had that effect with me! I lock my phone away in my bag most the day and just disconnect into the magic (the magic is still there imo). Scarefest is something that has that extra magical feel to it as well, so it will be a major shame to lose out on it at the last minute, we can only remain positive and hopeful that restrictions mean parks can remain open for their scare events. But when I look at it overall, we’ve been lucky to an extent as we all worried parks would be close for a long time to come! I feel for those in Sweden, or even select parks in the states like Carrowinds.

skyscraper likes this.
  7. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Just got to hope my area goes into Tier 2 and not Tier 3. We're 7th on the list so hopefully that'll be the case. If we get tier 2 we should be ok to go on the 29th, if we get tier 3 then we won't.

Last edited: 12th Oct 2020
  8. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    We seem to be drifting wayyyyy off topic here! Let's keep this thread to Scarefest and how it may be impacted by Covid-19 measures and keep any general discussion around what's going on around the country to the Coronavirus thread.

Thanks!

Connor98 and skyscraper like this.
  9. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Well for all we know Scarefest could be ended early depending on tonights announcement and further happenings (ie. scores of cancellations by people affected by the lockdowns). I know Towers would only do that if they were forced to, so fingers crossed that won't be necessary.

Kraken27 likes this.
  10. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

The main risk I can see to Scarefest from covid-19 is a decrease in attendance as anyone in an area placed in Tier 3 rules should not be leaving their area. Manchester & Liverpool are a huge conurbation about an hours drive away.

I guess indoor attractions are also at risk of being closed - so bye bye to the 3 mazes, Hex, Duel & Sharkbait Reef. On the flip side, I would argue that there are just as many touch-points on outdoor rides / their queues - where the ride station is generally indoors or at least undercover.

The worst case scenario is obviously that parks are forced to close... it's a bit of a waiting game really until Boris speaks later today.

I for one am giving parks a miss this year. I know how to socially distance, but it is clear that some guests don't. Nemesis will still be there in 2021.

skyscraper likes this.
  11. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Scarefest doesn't resume till Wednesday, and that happens to be the day the restrictions will come into force. I wouldn't be surprised if Towers use tomorrow to urgently decide what to do.

12. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Scarefest starts again Friday, so they have a few days.

skyscraper likes this.
  13. jon81uk

touching surfaces isn't that much of an issue. Most Covid transmission is via droplets in breath and outdoors and good ventilation does help prevent transmisison. So as you say indoor spaces are more risky, but masks help. Its close spaces for long periods with the same people that can be more problematic.

Overall though theme parks are probably quite low risk for guests, staff are at greater risk from each other.

skyscraper likes this.
  14. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I would be surprised if any further restrictions impact Alton Towers staying open until the end of the season or change how Scarefest is operated in a significant way.

jon81uk likes this.
  15. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Been confirmed that South Yorkshire is being put in Tier 2, so I should be able to go to Towers! :)

Rojo likes this.
  16. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    I’m on Tier 2 in Notts, already been though so it doesn’t make a massive difference to me - however now I think Scarefest will run to its end date.

Ethan and skyscraper like this.
  17. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yeah I hope so as I'm going in the last week of it. :p

A friend of mine in Nottingham was planning to go so should be able to now, although they haven't booked tickets yet.