• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Screens on dark rides; what do you think of them?

What do you think of screens on dark rides?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. As technology advances, screens are growing ever more present within dark rides. Initially, it was Universal and Disney who pioneered the use of screens on rides, but regional parks eventually cottoned on, and most new dark rides built nowadays have some form of screen within them. However, screens are somewhat of a contentious topic among enthusiasts, with many complaining that their use has killed creativity within dark rides. So my question to you today is; how do you feel about screens on dark rides? Do you hate them? Do you not mind them? Do you like them? Or are you undecided? Or does it depend on the context?

Personally, I don't mind screens at all. In fact, when fused with physical theming as part of a more varied ride experience, I really like them, and I do think they can add a certain something to a ride when used well!

Now I don't rank dark rides to any huge extent, but if I did, I'd say that a big percentage of my top dark rides use screens to at least a certain extent. To be honest, off the top of my head, I'd probably say my top 5 dark rides are Tower of Terror, Gringotts, Spider-Man, Transformers and Forbidden Journey, in that order. 4 of those 5 use screens to at least some extent, and 3 of those 5 are quite heavily 3D-based, although they do have a lot of physical set pieces and effects as well. I love a traditional dark ride with physical sets & animatronics as much as the next person, but to be honest, I do think that the 3D element does add a certain level of dynamicness to those rides that I really like! However, I do think that for me to really love a screen-based dark ride and rank it in that top tier, it's got to be a tracked ride system of some form that fuses both screens and physical theming; I don't think a ride that is literally just a screen and nothing else (I'm thinking of things like Simpsons, Star Tours, Sky Lion, and Flight of Passage amongst others here) is really something that would be able to rank in my top tier of dark rides, as much as I do really enjoy some rides of that type. I personally prefer the tracked ride systems that have a bit of physical theming in there alongside the screens, and they're the screen rides that rank among my top dark rides.

So basically, I'd actually say that I like screens on dark rides on the whole! Don't get me wrong, I love a good physically themed dark ride with physical sets and animatronics as much as the next person, and a dark ride certainly doesn't need screens for me to like it, but I don't personally identify with the hate towards screen technology that some harbour; I do think screens can really add something to a ride when used well!

But what's your opinion on the contentious topic of screens?

I think screen based and traditional dark rides are very different beasts.

There are world class examples that combine the two - as mentioned Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are examples of this. Possibly my favourite two dark rides.

But actually I think traditional dark rides often have more of an atmosphere to them. I love Dreamflight at Efteling and Pirates of the Caribbean. No screens, big atmosphere.

Entirely screen based rides like Ninjago and Toy Stony Midway Mania are simply rubbish. I don't understand how these are different to playing on a console at home. They have no place at a theme park for me.

A truly world class park should have both traditional and hybrid dark rides, for me. It's a shame no parks really do (to a high enough standard). I'm sure Epcot comes close to achieving this now with the introduction of Ratatouille.

A good blend of both is always the best method for me.

With the tech available today and super enhanced graphics then screens are pretty much a requirement for a good modern dark ride these days. It's just better if the ride isn't all screen and nothing else. Animatronics and set pieces definitely add a lot to the experience.

One problem I have with screens in dark rides is that the brightness never seems to match with the rest of the scene. I imagine this is a challenge with the current technology, especially when using backlit screens.

For example, those awful tacky pictures they put up in Duels queue line. Nobody would ever believe they were static as they glow brighter than anything else in the room.

I've seen the same problem with more expensive implentations too.

As long as it is a good ride then bother 100% screens, some screens and some animatronics and 100% animatronics can all work fine.

I love Spiderman and that is all screens but I didn't enjoy Transformers as much despite basically being the same ride.
I enjoy Toy Story Mania and Maus au Chocolat and don't feel like I'd get the same gaming experiance on a home console (maybe on an arcade cabinet though, I used to love Point Blank).

As others have said the worst are screens added poorly alongside traditional elements like animatronics. Or just bad rides to start with.

I also think that the Nut room on Charlie at AT was one of the better scenes on the ride and it was all screens, whereas many areas that were 100% models were poor because there wasn't enough in the scene, there just wasnt enough models and animatronics to bring it fully to life.

Whilst they can work in some scenarios, there are too many examples of them being used badly. Either they’re over relied upon or not integrated well.

For that reason alone my starting point would be no screens.