• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Sea World Australia 2013: 'Storm' Mack water coaster

Sam

TS Member
From Screamscape:

Screamscape said:
2013 - Mack Water Coaster - Rumor - (8/16/12) In 2013 Sea World Australia seems to be teasing some kind of storm themed attraction may be on the way to the park, based on a graphic post to their Facebook page. According to our sources, applications submitted claim that the new attraction will replace the Bermuda Triangle ride, reusing the show building but demolishing the old interior as well as the old ride system. This lines up very nicely with a report at Parkz where an interview with Mack Rides revealed that they have sold a water coaster to an Australian park for 2013. Given the popularity of the Mack built Journey To Atlantis water coaster rides at the SeaWorld parks in America, it would make perfect sense for Sea World Australia to try and copy their success.

Here's the image:

602511_10151961046490582_368442369_n.jpg

Based on this article, it sounds like it'll be a clone of Skatteøen.

Re: Sea World Australia 2013: Mack water coaster?

An article on Gold Coast confirms that this will indeed be a Mack Water coaster:

Secret's out on new Sea World ride

boatacoaster-030113.jpg

An artist's impression of a boatacoaster-style attraction to be built at Sea World, replacing the Bermuda Triangle ride

THIS is a new ride Sea World did not want you to see -- yet.

The Gold Coast theme park has been given the green light by the Gold Coast City Council to build its latest thrillseeker attraction, a water-coaster, to replace the now demolished Bermuda Triangle, one of the park's original rides.

But Sea World tried to keep the new attraction under wraps, refusing even to say when it would open or what it would be called.

While cryptic posts on the park's Facebook page only indicate it will be a storm-themed ride, further details of the new attraction were contained in public planning documents lodged with the city council.

Mack Rides, the company building it, show an artist's impression of a "Poseidon-style" ride on its website.

In an interview with German business magazine InsideB, managing director of Mack Rides, Christian von Elverfeldt, revealed his company had sold a water-coaster to an Australian park, and it was scheduled to open in 2013.

The revelation looks set to continue a period of relatively high investment at Australian theme parks, and will bring a style of coaster to the Gold Coast currently seen throughout America and Europe.

Water-coasters use wheeled boats running on a steel track, featuring the dips and turns of a roller-coaster, before splashing down into a channel and floating like a flume ride.

It is believed the ride has been in the pipeline since 2008 but planning obstacles made it a four-year process.

Council approval was finally granted late in November.

Yet more new Mack rides!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome, Sea World is a brilliant park and they've really kicked it up a notch in recent years having installed a launched Intamin coaster and completely overhauled their Arrow looper! I'd love to visit again in the future.

From Screamscape:

2013 - Storm / Mack Water Coaster - Rumor - (3/27/13) Interesting news in from Sea World Australia this week, thanks to an update at Parkz. They start things off with a look at the construction site for Storm, the park’s new Mack water coaster, which formerly held the park’s old Bermuda Triangle flume ride.
They also peek around at the Sea Viper coaster, formly known as Corkscrew. The once old reliable coaster which has been closed for the past six weeks for a rehab, has apparently been suffering higher than normal bouts of downtime since installing the new Kumbak trains in late 2009.
Kumbak strikes again! :p

That the ride has its own dedicated downtime signage either speaks volumes for Village Roadshow Theme Parks' art department, or for just how unreliable Sea Viper has become since its transition from Corkscrew.

The Parkz posted a photo update on the 22nd of October showing a nearly completed Storm. Here are a couple of their photos:

1022-1_Storm_Coaster_c_04.jpg

1022-1_Storm_Coaster_c_06.jpg

1022-1_Storm_Coaster_c_07.jpg

1022-1_Storm_Coaster_c_10.jpg

1022-1_Storm_Coaster_c_15.jpg

And Aussie Airtime posted an update a month before that which includes a photo of one of the boats for this new ride:

MG_0047.jpg

MG_0052.jpg

MG_0053.jpg

I wonder why they've decided to go against their other water coaster's themes. Journey To Atlantis (At least the florida one) had some pretty good theming. This one looks pretty bland so far. Either way it looks like a fun ride.

Sea world Australia has no connection with the us sea world parks hence why it doesn't have a journey to Atlantis theme. They are owned and operated by different companies, this park is operated by village roadshow.

Ride is now open. :)

Screamscape said:
Late 2013 / 2014 - Storm / Mack Water Coaster - (12/3/13) The new ‘Storm Coaster’ at Sea World of Australia opened this week. According to a reader who just rode it, the ride is themed to a port that has been “destroyed by a cyclone”. The inside portion of the ride is themed like a flooded warehouse, while the outdoor section is a fairly standard Mack Watercoaster track of spiraling drops and spins, ending with a splashdown finale crashing through an upturned boat sticking out of the warehouse. Parkz has posted about 40 pictures of the new attraction here, s well as shooting a great off-ride video from the exit path that has great views of the action, both indoor and outdoor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JENuLUhdZcM#t=160

'shipping container' theming is a lot better than I presumed it would be. And that pre-show and indoor queueline looks great!

I was completely surprised by this and the good level of theming around it... I was expecting minimal theming a la Skattoen, but not this, especially when the shipping containers fit the ride extremely well...

Apparently it'll have fire on the indoor section as well...

That actually looks pretty awesome! It cost 20 million Australian dollars which is roughly over 11 million pounds.

TedTheHuman said:
That actually looks pretty awesome! It cost 20 million Australian dollars which is roughly over 11 million pounds.

That is a hefty amount for a water ride. It also says that it makes it the most expensive ride in Australia? Or did I misunderstand? What about the euro fighter... Maybe because that's not opened yet, or maybe because the gerst will cost less. Eurofighter hardware must be £8maximum surely? I don't know.

smudge said:
TedTheHuman said:

That is a hefty amount for a water ride. It also says that it makes it the most expensive ride in Australia? Or did I misunderstand? What about the euro fighter... Maybe because that's not opened yet, or maybe because the gerst will cost less. Eurofighter hardware must be £8maximum surely? I don't know.

The video did say that it's the most expensive ride built in Australia. According to RCDB, Abyss (the eurofighter that opened in Perth) cost $12,000,000 US dollars, which is roughly over 13 million Australian dollars (or £8 million)