• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Seat Belts on Rapids Rides

I’m sorry but I’m not keen on this argument of “people standing up are breaking the rules so it’s their fault” When water is slipping into a boat from the sides near where you’re sitting, unfortunately it’s second nature to stand up to avoid it. I reckon a lot of people do it without even thinking. I don’t think there’s many people who get on to a ride with the intention of “I’m going to intentionally stand up on this ride to break the rules” Sadly it just happens, and the parks have to do everything they can to protect people who do end up doing it.

Double post but that argument is of course wrong. It is not the fault of people standing up breaking the rules. I don't usually say one side of an argument is wrong. But in this case I will comfortably say it is wrong, as the precedent has already been set and established in a court of law. Specficially with Drayton Manor. Yes, there were other agrivating factors in the case but Drayton Manor were found guilty of the death of a girl who broke the rules and stood up. They should have done more. They did not. They were found guilty.

The precedent has now been established moving forward so if anything similar was to happen, they would look at this case.

Of course, parks have a duty to protect people breaking the rules, we know this already.

If that is right or wrong is another debate. But the stage is already set regarding this.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a capsized boat would be escapable on the AT rapids. The rubber tyres are incredibly heavy, the water often very shallow, and I can't imagine the yellow shell having the buoyancy to keep the rim of the boat from contacting the bottom of the trough.

Wouldn't that make "if the boat capsizes" arguments against seatbelts pointless?

Or is the idea that a capsizing would simply eject all riders into the water to relative safety - them being away from the boat by the time it's fully capsized?

In which case, wanting a boat that can simultaneously stop riders from being ejected, but fully eject them in certain circumstances, but without any form of restraint and relying on guest behaviour alone...seems optimistic.

I think people in the future will chuckle at rapids and their obvious safety risks in the same way we do now at older attractions. The older style like all in the UK won't be around for much longer I don't think.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a capsized boat would be escapable on the AT rapids. The rubber tyres are incredibly heavy, the water often very shallow, and I can't imagine the yellow shell having the buoyancy to keep the rim of the boat from contacting the bottom of the trough.

Wouldn't that make "if the boat capsizes" arguments against seatbelts pointless?

Or is the idea that a capsizing would simply eject all riders into the water to relative safety - them being away from the boat by the time it's fully capsized?

In which case, wanting a boat that can simultaneously stop riders from being ejected, but fully eject them in certain circumstances, but without any form of restraint and relying on guest behaviour alone...seems optimistic.

I think people in the future will chuckle at rapids and their obvious safety risks in the same way we do now at older attractions. The older style like all in the UK won't be around for much longer I don't think.
Surely the seats were extended so when or if one turns upside down it gives you enough space to crawl out as the seats stop it from being right on the bottom of the trough

Even if you can’t get out from under the boat you could get yourself upright and breathing, whereas with a seat belt you may find it harder to get your body upright and keep head above water. Of course with the higher backed boats this would be less of an issue.