• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Security at Theme Parks and Other Public Places

I'm not answering this again. See previous posts.

This is the response I'd expect from someone with no good response to give.

I've read it, I recall it started with a battery pack, it's now about you being left mute while they take your equipment for search. But now it's not that?

If you are being as clear with them as you are with us no wonder you are not getting anywhere with them.

This is the response I'd expect from someone with no good response to give.

I've read it, I recall it started with a battery pack, it's now about you being left mute while they take your equipment for search. But now it's not that?

If you are being as clear with them as you are with us no wonder you are not getting anywhere with them.
Two separate issues, the battery issue was when I was speaking. The current issue is them taking my device to make searching my peeson eaiser.

Two separate issues, the battery issue was when I was speaking. The current issue is them taking my device to make searching my peeson eaiser.

Well that was apointless bit of pedantry. So your issue remains them taking your device away for a short period while 'you' are searched. 'You' will include the items and equipment you are carrying.

My previous opinion remains.

From my understanding from reading your letter @imanautie (do correct me if I'm wrong) security have repeatedly take your AAC device from you in order to make it easier for themselves to search you and not only this but your complaints have also been dealt with in dismissive and conflicting ways that have not resolved the issue. To me it seems the equivalent of gagging someone who can use vocal speech in order to make them easier to search which is totally dehumanising and upsetting. I think you've dealt with this well and in the best way you've been able to, and I really hope it does get resolved for you

From my understanding from reading your letter @imanautie (do correct me if I'm wrong) security have repeatedly take your AAC device from you in order to make it easier for themselves to search you and not only this but your complaints have also been dealt with in dismissive and conflicting ways that have not resolved the issue. To me it seems the equivalent of gagging someone who can use vocal speech in order to make them easier to search which is totally dehumanising and upsetting. I think you've dealt with this well and in the best way you've been able to, and I really hope it does get resolved for you
Yep! I think you get it!
I know to a few on this forum it seems like I'm making a fuss over nothing,but it's not something many people understand

The crux of it is though that no law has been broken, but your letter does leave you open to legal action should the park wish to. Your many varied reports of the events in this thread alone would lead any prosecutor to argue an “unreliable narrator” narrative and make most elements of the case inadmissible

Last edited:
The crux of it is though that no law has been broken, but your letter does leave you open to legal action should the park wish to. Your many varied reports of the events in this thread alone would lead any prosecutor to argue an “unreliable narrator” narrative and make most elements of the case inadmissible
I'm curious on what grounds you think I'm open to legal action.

And yes on the latter bit, that's called having a communications disability like say autism

I see where both sides are coming from. Hopefully this can clarify.

The point is that as verbal communicators when we're being searched we are able to communicate if needs be.

As @imanautie is non verbal he requires his tablet to communicate. The security guards are taking away this tablet while he is being searched.

He has received previous communication from the park to put in a plan that he was happy with. He would put the tablet in the tray, walk through the scanner and pick up the tablet and then be able to communicate with staff about any searches required.

My understanding is that security are not allowing this too happen, instead searching him before he can reclaim his tablet thus making their jobs easier but causing distress.

As he cannot communicate without thus tablet he is finding it very distressing when he wishes to visit Thorpe Park.

I see where both sides are coming from. Hopefully this can clarify.

The point is that as verbal communicators when we're being searched we are able to communicate if needs be.

As @imanautie is non verbal he requires his tablet to communicate. The security guards are taking away this tablet while he is being searched.

He has received previous communication from the park to put in a plan that he was happy with. He would put the tablet in the tray, walk through the scanner and pick up the tablet and then be able to communicate with staff about any searches required.

My understanding is that security are not allowing this too happen, instead searching him before he can reclaim his tablet thus making their jobs easier but causing distress.

As he cannot communicate without thus tablet he is finding it very distressing when he wishes to visit Thorpe Park.
Not quite. The plan as told to me by security operations manager,was I go through detector and hold the tablet at various positions so they could see it's the tablet not anything on my body alarming.
the letter written by his assistant? Is what changed it to I place in tray, the SOM again confirmed a few times including yesterday that I should not be separated from it (aka the original plan).
(Also fyi non speaking not non verbal, in the autistic side of disability community there's a big difference in that not using words Vs not using mouth words)

Have you got the original plan in writing? If not I'd say you need that in writing. Hopefully that will put an end to this process.

I'm curious on what grounds you think I'm open to legal action.

And yes on the latter bit, that's called having a communications disability like say autism
Libel would be the main one. And again, going back your original umbridge was being searched at all. The plan of moving the tablet to various positions sounds like it may work for you, but it’s the first time you’ve mentioned it on the thread explicitly which no doubt has also caused confusion here - I can see why security staff (even when briefed) would be confused.
Have you got the original plan in writing? If not I'd say you need that in writing. Hopefully that will put an end to this process.
This would be very important. It does seem like a security risk to not have the tablet scanned at all though. I work in an airline and have the same (company issued) ipad with me every day. It still needs to go through security X-ray checks regardless of the fact that the security team have a guaranteed check of my history and I have full security clearance. Reasonable adjustment shouldn’t really exempt your devices from going through the same processes at any venue where there is a security procedure, so I’d absolutely have it in writing If this is the case.

Libel would be the main one. And again, going back your original umbridge was being searched at all. The plan of moving the tablet to various positions sounds like it may work for you, but it’s the first time you’ve mentioned it on the thread explicitly which no doubt has also caused confusion here - I can see why security staff (even when briefed) would be confused.

This would be very important
I will fully admit I very badly worded my original posts about the issue, no denying that, I am trying to get my thoughts across but it's difficult (that difficulty is partly why I use AAC).
I will have to have a look and see if I have a copy of the briefing, may ask them for a copy to keep things smooth.

I am however hopeful with the park operations manager and guest experience manager discussing how to handle "similar needs to your own[SIC]" that something will come about, if I had to guess it's probably just tell bag search if they are ever unsure to ask a manager to pop buy to check (like how Chessington handled me perfectly when they had doubts about my electronics).

The Disability Discrimination Act(s), in all their forms, clearly states otherwise, this person is being stopped from undertaking daily independent acts by the removal of an essential communication device.
That in itself is unlawful and discriminatory.
I'm no major litigant, but I have a great deal of experience in my past work supporting less able individuals to independance.
At surface level, Thorpe has discriminated against this individual.
He has a clear case here.
Harassment because of disability.
The company must take active steps to resolve this, and make clear to the individual complainant what steps it has taken to resolve the matter, and what steps it has taken to ensure future operations do not discriminate against any individual.
That is the basis of the current law, under the DDA and Equality act.

Last edited:
The Disability Discrimination Act(s), in all their forms, clearly states otherwise, this person is being stopped from undertaking daily independent acts by the removal of an essential communication device.
That in itself is unlawful and discriminatory.
I'm no major litigant, but I have a great deal of experience in my past work supporting less able individuals to independance.
At surface level, Thorpe has discriminated against this individual.
He has a clear case here.
Harassment because of disability.
The company must take active steps to resolve this, and make clear to the individual complainant what steps it has taken to resolve the matter, and what steps it has taken to ensure future operations do not discriminate against any individual.
That is the basis of the current law, under the DDA and Equality act.
As many have said in far more detail though, a condition of entry that all agree to is a search. Entering private property means it’s a whole different set of rules so it becomes a case of reasonable adjustment, visiting a private leisure attraction is not “every day activity”

As many have said in far more detail though, a condition of entry that all agree to is a search. Entering private property means it’s a whole different set of rules so it becomes a case of reasonable adjustment, visiting a private leisure attraction is not “every day activity”
And as I've said they are more then welcome to search my person and bags, they can clearly see the device is just a tablet,they have no way to see inside it to check for threats like an airport could (and London eye who can don't remove it from me), they could if they wanted to wand me every time.

What do you perceive to be libellous? I see a lot of gibberish but no libel.