• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Shorter Opening Times = Shorter Queues?

Charlie1910

TS Member
Afternoon Everybody,
I don't think I have seen the answer, so apologises if it is already out there!

We are looking at visiting AT in May, and are trying to decide whether to visit during the week or at the weekend.
Being that the park opening hours seem......somewhat short!!! We was trying to decide whether the presumed shorter queue times during the week, meant we would get more rides/bang for our buck for the 10-4 opening hours,
OR
Whether it was more beneficial for a higher ride count to go at the weekend, when they seem to be more 10-5 opening hours?

Any thoughts, as always, marvellously appreciated!
Charlie

Afternoon Everybody,

We are looking at visiting AT in May, and are trying to decide whether to visit during the week or at the weekend.
Being that the park opening hours seem......somewhat short!!! We was trying to decide whether the presumed shorter queue times during the week, meant we would get more rides/bang for our buck for the 10-4 opening hours,
OR
Whether it was more beneficial for a higher ride count to go at the weekend, when they seem to be more 10-5 opening hours?

Charlie
If you're going on a term-time weekday, then yes the majority of queues will be short. :)

Afternoon Everybody,

OR

Charlie

Opening times will likely change, if it stays 10-4 then it means they are not expecting many folk to be there so queues will be short but it is a big park to traverse.

I would base it on when is more convenient rather than the opening times at the moment

Alton towers crowd calendar is a good way to get a rough idea, it's not always completely accurate because there's too many variables.
However I will say you can get much more rides in on a 10-4 monday to Thursday than a 10-7 peak day/ weekend, just depends on what experience you want out of it.

You will definitely get on more rides on a 10-4 day. Especially if it’s Tues-Thurs. If your sole focus is to ride as much as possible then go on these days. However if you want to experience the park as a whole, it may be worth going on a 10-6 day as you will have more time to look around.

I've hardly ever been on weekends but have stumbled across some. I am a veteran of these ghastly 10-4 days however. For whoring rides and that alone, you can't go wrong with mid week March, April and September days - they're pretty much guaranteed to be quiet. For park experience however you may get unlucky. A nice sunny mid week in May and you could be stuck with a moderately busy park but them still kicking you out at a brand damagingly pathetic 4pm.

If you want a proper day out, stick to busy days around events for decent opening hours, atmosphere and more amenities being open. If you're happy with just whoring coasters back to back for a very short period of time and doing little else, then May mid week will be your last chance to do this until September. Be warned though, there could be no Welcome Inn, loads of food outlets shut, a lack of entertainment and you could be walking out the gate under glorious sunshine when they close mid way they the afternoon.

When the weather is good, I always make a point of "loitering" 🙂 in the gardens and taking a nice walk at the end of a 10-4 day. It rounds off the day nicely and also avoid the crowds where the monorail station is heaving.

This way, I can catch the last monorail at 5 or even 5.30ish at times and avoid the JCB and McD Uttoxeter roundababot traffic when exiting the park at 6.

Just because the ride queues end at 4, it doesn't mean you have to end your day.