• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Should scare rooms be brought back?

Should scare rooms be brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Is Wastelands Penitentiary (Tulleys Shocktober Fest) a ride? If not, my favourite ride is Nemesis.
Scare rooms sound very interesting.
Personally, my answer to this would be no. Despite the fact that I adore horror films and scare mazes (especially if they are contact mazes), I feel that eventually I would just want to get sleep, not repeatedly be scared until about 2am.

I get it's not a lot of people's cups of tea, but these people paid a premium to stay in these scare rooms... therefore if they wanted to get to sleep before 2am that's totally on them. I think they were a terrific idea and think Merlin are missing a trick (and by proxy killing off a pretty decent cashcow) by not continuing to run them.

I'd pay good money to do one. I'm gutted that I didn't grasp the chance when I had it at the time. I get the feeling from this thread so far that people are more inclined to be tucked up wearing teddy bear jammies by 10 "these days", therefore the rooms will never return? Odd because I haven't noticed the world changing to that degree personally in the same time period but maybe I'm just old school and hang around with the wrong people?

But if they brought them back, I don't think I'd be able to afford the £400-£500 per room cost beforehand and the sausages the next morning would be far more traumatic than anything I would experienced the night before.

I'd pay good money to do one. I'm gutted that I didn't grasp the chance when I had it at the time. I get the feeling from this thread so far that people are more inclined to be tucked up wearing teddy bear jammies by 10 "these days", therefore the rooms will never return?

I don’t think that is what is being suggested.

I think from a risk point of view employing people to creep around guest rooms at night and in the dark is putting those employees and the business at risk and could raise all sorts of legal implications for employees and guests.

It just isn’t worth taking the chance, they might as well put the money into other aspects of the event.

If they were to do it then building a “film set” room with passages that staff could use to do the creeping round would be a good start. Would also provide a better scare experience rather than staff needing to enter via a single door into a guest room which is more noticeable so ruins the suprise.

Surely the smartest option for a theoretical return of scare rooms would be to cordon off a cluster of Enchanted Village lodges? Slasher style Camp Crystal Lake scare rooms could be pretty cool :eek:

...and the screams would wake every other shed up because it is outside!
Needs a completely separate small wing in a hotel for it to be done effectively without upset to other guests, rather problematic with lots of children about.
Crap idea, never successful apparently, not economic to do it to a good standard.

It’s too much of a niche market.

The previous incarnations of scare rooms were riddled with issues, primarily complaints of noise overnight. Moving over to Enchanted Village would be even worse.

With the state Scarefest is in at the moment, I would rather see a new maze before experiences like scare rooms are explored again.

...and the screams would wake every other shed up because it is outside!
Needs a completely separate small wing in a hotel for it to be done effectively without upset to other guests, rather problematic with lots of children about.
Crap idea, never successful apparently, not economic to do it to a good standard.

Well the sheds aren't exactly suitable to be accommodation anyway

I think that if scare rooms were to come back, then entirely new accommodation purposely built for the activities of a scare room would have to be constructed.

A group of us hired 3 rooms the first year they did them. The rooms were located next to the doors which lead out of Alton towers hotel into the elevated corridor towards the conference centre/splash landings.

We had to sign disclaimers before going in and authorise people to enter our room until 2am.

The rooms were well decorated inside and a lot of effort had gone into them. It was generally quiet until about 11ish but as the mazes finished in the park now and more actors appeared.

It was great fun but i heard it resulted in a lot of complaints from neighbouring rooms which were not scare rooms because of the noise. The only way it could work is if they dedicated an entire floor (maybe bottom floor) to being scare rooms as not to disturb other guests, but in all honesty i can’t see them doing stuff like this again.

Scare sheds however might be do able lol 😂

They've got the lodges, could do it with Cabin in the Woods VIBES

Last edited by a moderator: