• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Site Maintenance - Offline Thursday 20th - Friday 21st Feb

Joel

TS Technical Admin
Favourite Ride
Closed season on TST
Hello, and good news everyone!
1aV0CXN.png

As you've probably experienced of late, our site and popularity seems to have outgrown our current server and platform we've had lovingly and trustily support us from the beginning, like a baby growing out of their first little booties. Awwww! <3

What's the problem?

As a result, we're experiencing regular performance issues, and unfortunately lately I've had far too many automatic notifications telling me that the server performance is slow, and in some instances non-existent, with software falling over due to the heavy demand. We're breaking massive barriers with page views (reaching well and truly into 6 figures per week now, with 7 fast approaching!) and bandwidth transferred, and its really pleasing to see from a popularity point of view!

Our hosting partners, FutureHosting and the delightful support technician Betty have supported us since the beginning, and have worked hard to optimise and keep things running smoothly, but we are reaching the performance limits of virtualisation, so we have been considering for some time to expand to a dedicated platform, but waiting for the best opportunity.

With constraints around ongoing University work I've unfortunately not had the time to research, plan and carry out the move of servers until recent, and with my Uni work ramping up again after this month and being in the low end of the season of the park, now is the perfect opportunity for us to carry out the move now all of the research, planning and procurement is out of the way from the last few weeks.

What's changing?

Our dedicated platform will allows us to continue growing further, improve speed and responsiveness, and also allow us to bring back much loved and missed features, including our chat, pub quizzes and 'radio' that many have yearned to return!

We're also changing our setup slightly, and some of you may have been very familiar with CloudFlare who work to speed up and proxy the site currently to keep things as fast as possible for you, and we're also changing the background server arrangement to introduce another proxy to help speed up static content being served.

The server specifications are quite frankly ridiculous, but we're trying to future-proof ourselves for a little while longer to allow for our continued growth and popularity. One amazing new feature is that we're going 100% SSD (solid state disk) to allow for faster MySQL performance, so we're excited to see how SMF and WordPress will perform under full load on the new server.

When is this changing?

We're looking to move the site across beginning the afternoon of Thursday 20th February (this week!) from around 4pm, with the move expecting to last most of the evening and possibly into Friday too.

The planned window is 4pm Thursday to 4pm Friday, but we're naturally hoping for it to be much less.

During this time, access to the site, forum and wiki* will be unavailable. However, our brand new chat room will be open in time for the maintenance, so you can join the team for an evening and late night chat session to catch up on the good old times, and keep abreast of the work also!

*(Ridecount sign in will also be affected, although Ridecount is also under maintenance from Wednesday too)

Nothing else will change during this time, so there's nothing you need to worry about changing or being different!

What can I do to help?

You can send supplies of Pizza and Red Bull to Worcester. If you need to get a reply in on the forum, please try to do it well before 4pm on Thursday so we can get backups started quickly to move.

And you'll likely encounter some odd pages and errors if you continue trying to browse the site after 4pm, so sit back and relax, we'll be taking care of moving everything safely to our new server.

You can join us in our live chat room (exact address will be confirmed on the moving page and posted shortly before too) for all the latest gossip and updates on the move too!

And finally...

Once again we'd like to give a great big THANK YOU! to all of you for your continued support and love of TowersStreet - without it, we wouldn't be here looking to expand in such a way!

We've got lots of exciting things planned for summer for the site as well as some great meetups, so we're really excited about the future too - and pleased that you are all here to be a part of it :D

(Pssst, to our secret envious admirer... #alreadygotabetterserver ;-) )

wouldn't mind doing a radio show but my voice would annoy you lot

*hits desk three times* Return the pub quiz! *hits desk three times* Return the pub quiz! *hits desk three times* Return the pub quiz!

;D

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay chat!

*squee*

I
Tom.B said:
What actually happens on the radio, and who hosts each show?

99% of the time it's Joel on his own, normally involving music and sometimes a pub quiz. The quality progressively goes downhill (or uphill depending on your viewpoint) as Joel gets progressively more drunk. Tis quite fun tbh!

Ah good old radio. It's no wonder chat has died without it.
Tom, it was not unknown to have phone-in guests (including a rather drunk me at the moment I turned 30). Once there was even an attempt at the Radio Joel Road Show, live from the Weathervane on a meet! :p

Craig said:
I
Tom.B said:
What actually happens on the radio, and who hosts each show?

99% of the time it's Joel on his own, normally involving music and sometimes a pub quiz. The quality progressively goes downhill (or uphill depending on your viewpoint) as Joel gets progressively more drunk. Tis quite fun tbh!

So is it broadcast live on a proper radio station, or is it an internet thing?

DiogoJ42 said:
Tom, it was not unknown to have phone-in guests (including a rather drunk me at the moment I turned 30).
Oh, I remember that. I'm pretty sure I've got that entire show on my laptop somewhere... :p

Jonathan said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Tom, it was not unknown to have phone-in guests (including a rather drunk me at the moment I turned 30).
Oh, I remember that. I'm pretty sure I've got that entire show on my laptop somewhere... :p

Can you send me the show, so I can get a feel for what they're like?

Craig said:
The [shows] quality progressively goes downhill (or uphill depending on your viewpoint) as Joel gets progressively more drunk.

Paradoxically, the show does both as joel gets drunk. It goes downhill in techical smoothness. however it goes uphill with the wit and banter. :)

You don't need to know what it's like beforehand... It's just our lovable drunken admin fumbling with technology to try and string together some songs, chat and phone calls in a manner that doesn't completely collapse ;)

Generally gets funnier the more drinks that are consumed - can also be terrifying when you have your headphones on and Joel starts whispering "Scotttttttttttttttt" halfway through the show :p

Lets be honest, the server was never the issue for radio. It was Joel slowly becoming more intoxicated and managing to break something.

Quizzes should be making a welcome return in the near future though, and we're looking at some other little features we can bring in ;)

When will the chat room link be posted? I could do with some company this afternoon.