• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Six Flags to Purchase SEAS?

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Here's some news to make us all feel sick this morning.

There are reports, and I must stress that they should probably be taken with a pinch of salt at this stage, that Six Flags are interesting in purchasing SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. The report originates from Themed Reality, apparently they are fairly reliable but in truth I have no idea.

Hopefully this turns out to be a load of rubbish as the thought of Busch Gardens Williamsburg becoming a Six Flags park is quite horrendous.

:)

Out of interest is that a better or worse prospect than it becoming a Merlin park as per the rumours this time last year?

To be honest if it means they focus less on the animals then I'm all for it. Though SeaWorld already appear to be concentrating more on rides anyway:)

Out of interest is that a better or worse prospect than it becoming a Merlin park as per the rumours this time last year?

Worse.

To be honest if it means they focus less on the animals then I'm all for it. Though SeaWorld already appear to be concentrating more on rides anyway:)

I take it you have never been to a Six Flags park? The atmosphere in them is the polar opposite to the atmosphere in a Busch park!

Worse.

I take it you have never been to a Six Flags park? The atmosphere in them is the polar opposite to the atmosphere in a Busch park!
I haven't. I've been to SeaWorld and Busch Gardens and they're nice, but nothing amazing IMO. I'm not really fussed either way

This would be an interesting way for Six Flags to enter the Florida market

Rumors of a SEAS buyout are almost constant.

First Universal were going to buy SeaWorld property and flatten it to make their new park (never happened), then Six Flags were talking about buying the Busch parks (never happened), then Parques Reunidos were going to buy the whole company (never happened), then Merlin were going to buy the Busch parks (never happened) and now this.

Other than the long track record of buyout failures and/or false rumors, the fact that Themed Reality provides no evidence at all to back up their claim makes me skeptical.

Themed Reality also seem to be aligning themselves with PETA's ideology and activism by looking at their page, which makes this rumor even less reliable.

Six Flags parks are loud, full of adverts and IPs, food is not great quality but costs a fortune and their investments often lack inspiration.

Yes some of the parks have good coasters but Cedar Fair are miles ahead as a theme park operator for me.

You only have to look at Takisu at Six Flags Magic Mountain vs Manta at SeaWorld Orlando to know the difference between the two companies.

You mean in regards to Tatsu being absolutely on another level as a coaster than Manta?

Haha. Yeah, good as the queue is for Manta, Tatsu is completely next-level mental.

Anyway, while I do think SEAS will get purchased eventually, I think Six Flags would be a terrible operator and the park would stick out like a sore thumb in the Orlando market under their guidance. Obviously, given Universal's dominance, SEAS seem to have wisely repositioned Seaworld as more of a regional, local-friendly venture, but SF don't have any vision beyond just that.

If Tatsu is better than Manta, then I'm incredibly excited to try it. Manta is fantastic :D

Tatsu also has a pretty awesome looking setting, something that Manta will never be able to match

I'm surprised considering that Six Flags' investments have been "playing it safe" compared to the Early 2000's. This is bad though, especially for the Williamsburg park

I'm surprised considering that Six Flags' investments have been "playing it safe" compared to the Early 2000's. This is bad though, especially for the Williamsburg park
Let's hold our horses it's not happened yet :p

Could easily be a load of BS. I'm as pro SeaWorld as you can probably get and even I don't understand why any company would want to become associated with the SeaWorld brand at this time for sake of potential harm to their existing park portfolio.

Last edited:
If this comes true, then I personally think it's a very interesting decision from both sides. I must admit that I will be a little surprised if Six Flags wants to undertake a huge project like this, but they must be confident in their financial position and they must know what they're doing! In terms of SeaWorld, I thought they were on the up, so I'm surprised that they'd want to sell at this point in time!

We'll have to see what happens...

I mean that Tatsu is covered in Takis branding & apparently runs one train 90% of the time whereas Manta is very well themed with no sponsorships and a nice themed audio track.

It may well be a better coaster, I haven't ridden it :)
Walk on running 2 trains when I was at MM in May. They were staffed for 1 station but they swapped stations mid way through the day so both could be used if needed.

It's a far better ride than Manta.

Walk on running 2 trains when I was at MM in May. They were staffed for 1 station but they swapped stations mid way through the day so both could be used if needed.

It's a far better ride than Manta.

I don't understand the general misinformation spread about SF's poor operations. Having been to SFMM three times in three separate years (including what they would consider quiet days) I've yet to come across them running any rides on significantly lowered capacity for any reason other than maintenance or genuine technical fault. Certainly with Tatsu it's always ran 2 trains when I've been at a minimum. Of course it absolutely monsters Manta too in every respect aside from theming, which it hardly requires given its hillside location and immense height anyway.

As there isn't anything concrete, personally, and it is just my opinion, I wouldn't take it any more seriously than any of the other rumors! Hopefully it isn't true, and hopefully SeaWorld finds a way to change how it presents itself and rid itself of the rather toxic image it has built up recently. I think removing the orcas is probably going to be a necessity in the future, surely it isn't fair to keep them in such small tanks, but anyhow that's another debate.
I'm sorry. I'm not accepting the idea that Six Flags are worse than Merlin, though I admit I haven't been to one as of yet. Because unless we're talking about somewhere in North Korea, it is impossible to be worse than Merlin, as a company, as a theme park, investment wise, value for money, it doesn't matter; it's impossible. They are either almost as bad, or as bad! I'm not judging the parks or saying how good or bad they are personally until I go or look in to their business more, but that is my view :)