• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Smoking etiquette

delta79

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis, Air
After a lot of comments about smoking in the Pet hates thread. I thought I would start a thread about smoking etiquette, and your thoughts on it.

Here is the basic etiquette I use when smoking.

1) Try not to standing near a doorway while smoking, People will have to walk through your smoke to get into the building and it will be blown in after them
2) If in a group that contains non smokers, stand downwind.
3) Never blow smoke in anyone's face.
4) Generally be aware of where you smoke is going and be considerate of non smokers.

Also what are your thoughts on e-lite cigarettes. As I have started using one for sensitive areas e.g. queue lines.

Do you mind people using e-lites in the queue line or in areas out side the Designated Smoking Areas (DSA) at Alton?

I know this may not be right subject for Coffee Corner, but I would like to here the thoughts of the younger member of the forum on this as well.

Delta, I am an ex smoker and I used to pretty much share your etiquette! I have absolutely no problem with smokers, personal choice and all that, but I HATE smoking in queue lines, simply because I can't escape it and people tend to be a lot closer to you than they would be in a normal situation. I wouldn't mind e cigarettes as they have no smell.

I still miss a cigarette in a beer garden on a hot summer's day...

I always do it out of the way, usually though when I smoke most there are designated smoking areas because I'm at the pub or in town at night so everyone's too drunk to care. I've not been to AT in years but I'd probably just find a designated smoking area unless I was out of eye shot of everyone. I don't smoke E-cigs but if I did I would again use smoking areas, I'd never think of sparking up in a queue line or in a public place.

On my honeymoon at universal studios, my husband and I made a point of seeking out and smoking in every designated area on the park!

My favourite designated area at AT is the one by the RMT - not many people know it is there and I always felt a bit special going in there! Plus you get to wave at the riders as the pass overhead!

To pretty much echo my comments in the pet hate topic, I've not a problem with smokers, that's their choice and that but all I ask is for them to be considerate of others who may not like it.

The two main places I hate people smoking are in queues and also in the car. When I was working for Aston Villa we'd travel down from Preston. A couple of the people I worked with were smokers and lit up in the car on a few occasions and it was awful.

Even amongst other smokers, it's still only polite to be considerate of where your smoke is going. As far as those E-things go, No. Just no. They taste worse than real fags to me. Every time I've tried one, it just makes me want a real cig to wash the taste away! However, I don't see why anyone should have a problem with someone smoking one. They only emit water vapour.

Incidently, Marlboro have started putting little cards in their packets, promoting a website to protest the proposal for plain, unbranded packaging on tobacco products. Their argument is that it will make it easier for fake fags to flood the black market.

I highly recomend fellow theme park smokers do what I did, and invest in a nice hard case to put your cigs in. Not only does it look swish, and you don't have to look at pictures of death every time you smoke, but best of all it stops your fags getting crushed by ride restraints!

Smoking in public is to completely disregard the rights of anyone else. Of those who have serious repository problems and of those who just don't fancy having harmful gases lingering in the air.

It's like walking around punching the air with your fists and claiming a total lack of responsibility when you end up hitting someone.

Smoke in your own home by all means but don't bring it out into the street, or to a theme park, or anywhere that you cannot control the flow of the nasty pollutant by-product.

I don't find the hobby 'offensive', what's to be offended about someone having cigarette? The offensive part is the arrogance that you can pollute public places with your hobby. Much like painting is great, but painting onto someone else's wall is wrong.

So don't put words in my mouth that I never said, and engage with the points, rather than try to attain thanks with some smart-arse one line dismissive post.

Smoking inside an enclosed space is one thing, but in the open air, people should be able to smoke wherever they want. There are worse pollutants than tobacco that we all breathe in every minute. Why not direct your anger towards fumes from cars, since they are much more harmful, and in much higher volume than a few cigarettes.

I knew it was a mistake to get involved in a smoking debate online. It always is. The younger generations have been completely brainwashed by the government.
The demonisation of smokers in society just proves my point that we are the only group left that people can discriminate against without feeling guilty.

Thank you meat for making a very valid point, over the smoke produced.

The use of Designated Smoking Areas (DSA) are a way of cutting down contact with the smoke for non smokers. and these area are usually out of the way in areas with no or low footfall.

To use your punching the air analogy. they are like areas where you can punch the air and everyone knows you are doing it there, and the risks. so they can stear clear to save a fist to the mouth.

Also smokers can control to a level where the smoke goes. smoke get diluted quickly in open free flowing space. unfortunately I don't have the ratio to hand at the moment.

I'm classed as a younger person (I think :p ) and I'm a non-smoker. Personally smokers in public don't bother me that much, as long as the smoke isn't coming at my face, I'm happy. The majority of smokers I know tend to either smoke away or smoke facing the direction of the wind flow. Which is the best way to do it, simple and polite etiquette.

If people were still allowed to smoke indoors I would see why this topic would probably be a bit more flamed. But out in the open/public there's a lot of room and the impact of smokers on non-smokers is little to none these days.

Exactly James. But there is a small group of hardcore, millitant anti-smokers, who won't be happy until smoking is illegal full stop. These people are no better than the NIMBYs who prevent new theme parks from being built, with their "I don't like something, therefore no one should be able to do it anywhere" attitude.

"Waaaah waaah waah... I'm SO persecuted because others don't want to suffer the consequences of my own selfish behaviour... Waaaahhh waaahhh waaaah."

Come off it Diogo, it's below you to play such an argument.

As for you pointing at Car fumes - I agree with you! We need to get people to stop using their cars for short-distance travel when they can take a healthier bicycle ride or walk, which is not only good for themselves, but it's good for the climate due to reduced carbon emissions, and as you pointed out, good for air quality. Also where possible, long-distance travel should be replaced with train journeys or other less immediately polluting methods of transport. Or better yet, we can replace our horrid polluting car system with eco-friendly alternatives such as electric cars that don't emit any fumes.

So there you are, I do care about other forms of pollution but the fact that it also happens does in no-way detract the negative effect of cigarettes and smokers. Just as I criticise the selfish big corporations when they pollute our air, I criticise when selfish individuals can't let go of their 'hobbies' that pollute our air. I would be a hypocrite not to, which is rather ironic since you tried to paint me as one for doing just that.

And Delta, I have to say that I think Designated Smoking Areas is a very good compromise, but the planning of where and how these are implemented would have to be done very carefully as to maximise their effectiveness.

To say that smoking should be banned outside is just as selfish. The current ban on indoor smoking is a compromise that's about as fair as it is possible to be for both sides.

Meat Pie said:
Smoking in public is to completely disregard the rights of anyone else. Of those who have serious repository problems and of those who just don't fancy having harmful gases lingering in the air.

It's like walking around punching the air with your fists and claiming a total lack of responsibility when you end up hitting someone.

Smoke in your own home by all means but don't bring it out into the street, or to a theme park, or anywhere that you cannot control the flow of the nasty pollutant by-product.

Do you drive a car?

AirFan - I do not.

Diogo - It's not selfish at all. That's like saying it's selfish to tell others not to litter. Your hobby or not, it has the potential for harm and should be confined to places where you can control the nature of your air-litter.

I a part time smoker (awaits hate from all sides.) I'm not that keen on the taste, but I look so much cooler with a cig in hand.

I don't smoke, I instead ride a motorcycle with straight through exhausts, just thought I would mention that to piss off meat. ;) so I burn less fuel, but I emit just as much harmful gases as a car.

In honesty let them smoke, if they are breathing it into your face, or in a dense crowd, then fair enough, but that's just the person being selfish, not being a smoker.