• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Social Networks and Alton Towers - We Aren't The Voice of AT

Tom said:
Natalie said:
Tom said:
A lot of people also don't realise that some aren't visiting with an annual pass paid for by a student loan.

A family visiting is most likely on a planned visit that takes place annually at most. People have the right to complain and 'moan' - it's a hell of a lot of money for a working family.

My annual pass isn't paid for by a student loan and yes I know it's alot of money as I have only ever not paid for my first two which we got as family ones when I was younger. You don't know what my situation is?

I wasn't addressing you or anyone else directly, it was a generalised statement.

Then why post the statement if it's not even close to a fact? I've never used anyone else's money to pay for any of my AP's either, even when I was at school. Generalised statements aren't really useful in an argument imo :)

LiamC said:
Tom said:
Natalie said:
Tom said:
A lot of people also don't realise that some aren't visiting with an annual pass paid for by a student loan.

A family visiting is most likely on a planned visit that takes place annually at most. People have the right to complain and 'moan' - it's a hell of a lot of money for a working family.

My annual pass isn't paid for by a student loan and yes I know it's alot of money as I have only ever not paid for my first two which we got as family ones when I was younger. You don't know what my situation is?

I wasn't addressing you or anyone else directly, it was a generalised statement.

Then why post the statement if it's not even close to a fact? I've never used anyone else's money to pay for any of my AP's either, even when I was at school. Generalised statements aren't really useful in an argument imo :)

Just because something is generalised, doesn't mean it isn't accurate. The statement is accurate, but I haven't said who it applies to precisely. Some of you seem to be sensitive to the comment for whatever reason.

You can't deny that there are people who have annual passes paid for with money from student loans, that visit numeorus times so that an isolated bad visit isn't particularly significant to them and that some of the people posting the defensive comments are likely to fit into that category.

What's been happening on the Facebook page is a kind of snobbery against families that visit annually at the very most and that these people don't have the right to "moan" because "these things happen".

I agree wholeheartedly with Tom, and his initial comment. It didn't even need defending, as nothing was incorrectly said. It's a fact that some of the people that were responding to the Facebook posts, will have paid for their Annual Pass with a student loan. He didn't, however, state that everyone fell into this category, nor did he state that anyone in the screenshots, nor here, fitted into that category either. Please, read the post before posting a defensive comment, and creating further conflict.

I think that if you have a rubbish day at the park, and you're a member of the 'General Public' (as we all are, I hasten to add), then you are more than entitled to post a disgruntled message on the parks Facebook page. After all, if you don't visit regularly as most people don't, then you'd have paid a considerable amount of your money, to enjoy yourself, and for whatever reason, that didn't happen. You're going to have an opinion, and you're going to be annoyed and want to vent it. Enthusiasts that visit regularly with Annual Passes shouldn't be getting involved, and further aggravating the situation by making inappropriate comments to the guest, and most certainly shouldn't be resulting to calling them such things as "idiots". To add to this, I think it's highly immature, amongst other things, when the resulting comments and 'likes' of said abusive comment are from other enthusiasts that are there just to make a mockery. It just adds to the situation, and not in a good way.

To state once more, outside of TowersStreet and indeed any other site, we are free to do as we wish, and as such, you can carry on responding in a vicious/argumentative/rude/inappropriate or helpful way. However, the initial post in this topic was for me to indicate that I, amongst others, have noticed people doing this, and wanted to see what other people thought of it. The overwhelming majority of people agree that it isn't our place to get involved, and it's Alton Towers' job to fix. That said, we are each individuals, and away fro this site, we are free to do as we please.

Just a couple of things I'd like to add, however, and this is not directed at anyone in particular. If you happen to fit into the following, then please, don't kid yourself in thinking you're the victim of comments, it's generalized.

1> If you have a partner, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, mistress, relative or other that works at the Resort, and you're making a comment on a guests question or query, then perhaps it would be wise to stop doing so, as you could be getting your connecting person in trouble. Likewise, if your profile picture actually features the member of staff, then perhaps you need to consider your actions before you do them. Same can be said for header photos too.

2> Everything that is put on the internet can be found again, by nearly anyone, if you look hard enough. As someone has said in this topic, employers are frequently looking at prospective new employees Social Networking profiles during the job application stages, and inappropriate comments such as the ones this topic is based on, could indeed come back to haunt you in the future. It's not just in work, either, it could be anything. It's much easier to leave it to the professionals to resolve.

3> Contrary to what a couple of people may think, this thread, and all my posts in this topic, aren't aimed at any individuals, it's at ALL those people that take it upon themselves to contribute rubbish, ridiculous, silly responses to things that are no concern of theirs, on the Alton Towers Social Networking profiles. If you wish to believe otherwise, then I ask, kindly take a moment to reassess this thread, and read thoroughly from the beginning. I don't wish to have another Personal Message thread, resulting in sarcastic non-points.

I am here to enjoy myself, and interact and share my views with other people that share a common interest. I don't look for confrontation, nor do I involve myself in it. This thread was merely to see if others have picked up on this ever-increasing subject, and if so, share their own views on the matter in hand.

Hi All,

In regards to the Twitter the person actually lives in Alton and the whole village was impassible there was 3 crashes on the Saturday morning, the police closed the road.Alton Towers where not advising people the person mentioned done it to avoid a accident.I see you never put the Thank you messages from guests on here .

I am very new to the forums on this website and have only started posting in the last 6 onths or so and i for one have found some of the conversation very stimulating and indeed helpfull, some of you take alot of free time to do what is a very hard job which i wouldn't ven attempt or indeed have the knowhow so i salute towersstreet (which is less better then the other two which i wont mention, and unlike towers almanac actualy gets updated)

However on these forums you get a balanced and indeed fair arguments on the park and there is alot of care and love about AT that shows. Its always good to defend things you enjoy but on facebook this is taken way to far. My feelings for facebook have been ripped apart in the last 2 years. When i first joined it was a nice a good oppotunity to catch up with people i knew at school etc etc etc. Nowadays its turned into tool for advertising and indeed for the less educated society to have affairs and a good place for right wing nut jobs to air there pathetic views. Which is why ive tried getting rid of all the groups and things ive liked over years.

Now its only natual for places like AT to have a page and for a time i did follow this thinking like a good many that it would full of stuff that would keep the geek corner of brain happy, whilst also hopefully giving good offers for the times i actaully want to go. However all this changed last year....... The date i cant remember but it was the first day where the wind and rain was a bit brisk, and the park closed after a couple of hours after opening. Natually there was a few complaints on facebook, which centred around the no refunds and also how the staff and secruity team handled the situation, which by the accounts of the people posting was a bit bad, but then again i wasnt there so i dont what actualy know what happned. Now the park did post a response saying to go through site services if they are any complaints but then one chap who deceided to get all his armour out and defend alton towers as best as he could. He mentioned that the weather wasnt AT's fault and that people should back off and just get on with there lives. All this did was make already pissed of people get even more and nore angry and did nothing to help this people who were just looking for an answere as to why the secruity had been OTT and to why they had a free ticket for another day when they had no way of coming back.

It was at this point after alot of cringing that felt ashamed to be human being. Like i said before all he did (and few others had joined by now) was explode the situation out of control. and it didnt need to be. All these people had done is go to facebook (becasue lets be honest on a phone its easier then sending a email to AT personaly) They also started personaly attacking people on this page, it grew so far out of control that |T must have wished it could go into the corner and die. It was this point that i realised that alot of people hide behind there computer, when i was a lad we had no computer to hide behind , and just attack the world from it. Pkus i noticed a few other things about AT geeks here is what they are...........

1) Some annual pass holders treat this pass like a sheild. (See Sheldon in the big bang theory with member of justice league card) I can see why alot of you happy to have one as unlike me (and i am jealous) you get the oppotunity to go to AT alot and a pass is brilliant. However some treat it, and im not saying all before the abuse comes, as an invite to being a memeber of the alton towers staff.

2) Alot of the people on facebook that are pass holders have no idea of the misery of travelling hundreds of miles to be told to get lost we are closed. But are very quick to slag the park and merlin if something small goes wrong when they are there.

3)It is my view that of anyone on facebook does try to defend the park and doesnt help should be banned for life.

4) I thank you personally T, for starting this thread. As i think its something that really needs to brought to attnetion. Its ok to defend the park, but to get that upset becasue someone didnt have a good day, is just plane wrong.

I personally think it's fine to tell guests about recent events that may disrupt their visit. Like the recent snowfall, Alton Towers weren't giving out any information at all about the road conditions in the local area and people were desperate to know, especially those with young children. If you have information that is accurate, I don't see why it's wrong not to inform them. Especially when the park themselves aren't giving out the information.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Giving people useful information is fine, although I'd still recommend against it unless you know for certain that the information is true. A lot of problems are caused by helpful people giving the wrong information.

Replying to complaints however is something that enthusiasts shouldn't be doing. Mainly because most complaints are simply rants, (especially on Facebook when they can be made in the spur of the moment). The person isn't specifically looking for a solution but a way to rent their anger and hopefully find people who agree with them. That last part is important as by disagreeing with them and defending the park you'll only be making them more annoyed rather than less.

Stevie said:
I personally think it's fine to tell guests about recent events that my disrupt their visit. Like the recent snowfall, Alton Towers weren't giving out any information at all about the road conditions in the local area and people were desperate to know, especially those with young children. If you have information that is accurate, I don't see why it's wrong not to inform them. Especially when the park themselves aren't giving out the information.

But there's a difference between saying "I live near the park and the roads are in a bad condition, be careful." and calling people idiots for not knowing the hourly capacity of Rita or whatever.

Blaze said:
Stevie said:
I personally think it's fine to tell guests about recent events that my disrupt their visit. Like the recent snowfall, Alton Towers weren't giving out any information at all about the road conditions in the local area and people were desperate to know, especially those with young children. If you have information that is accurate, I don't see why it's wrong not to inform them. Especially when the park themselves aren't giving out the information.

But there's a difference between saying "I live near the park and the roads are in a bad condition, be careful." and calling people idiots for not knowing the hourly capacity of Rita or whatever.

That I completely agree with.