• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

There will be some adults who go on Alton Manor and never want to ride it again as it’s too scary.

Everyone is different, it’s the same for children as it is for adults. It’s up to parents (or the child) to judge whether the ride is suitable.

The marketing and exterior of the building gives an idea of the general tone of the ride so it’s not like people are being misled.

I'm sorry if it's coming off like that to you. The Curse At Alton Manor is it's own thing, not the original ride, and that's true, I am just a bit legit concerned wbout the whole kids situation, but putting that aside, the attraction has some really good lighting and well done effects on there, and will mostly likely improve on this over the upcoming months. It's just not my type of ride personally, that's literally it. I couldn't really care less if everyone else enjoys it, and in terms of enthusiats liking it, it seems to be doing great!

I don’t think anyone was questioning your dislike of the ride I just think it was a surprise when you announced you hadn’t been on HH but have made so many comparisons to that iteration of the ride.

Origional HH although not exactly a terror machine was scarier and darker than Duel, probably a similar tone to Curse but without the overarching narrative.

Regarding how scary Alton Manor is, it all comes down to simple human emotion of being scared of the dark and the unknown of what you might see. For example when I rode the original HH I kept my eyes closed the while time as I was scared not of it being all on the dark but the creepy sounds always getting to me.

I'm sorry if it's coming off like that to you. The Curse At Alton Manor is it's own thing, not the original ride, and that's true, I am just a bit legit concerned wbout the whole kids situation, but putting that aside, the attraction has some really good lighting and well done effects on there, and will mostly likely improve on this over the upcoming months. It's just not my type of ride personally, that's literally it. I couldn't really care less if everyone else enjoys it, and in terms of enthusiats liking it, it seems to be doing great!
That is fair if you happen not to like it, but I wouldnt be too worried about other people being too scared. For the odd parents' complaint, youre not going to hear all the reports of the kids that enjoyed it.

Also for what you're saying it's not especially relevant you didnt ride the original (unless you were saying "I enjoyed it", but youre not), clearly youre comparing what youve seen of it.

But all your suggestions to improve the Curse are to recreate original parts, which would only be a forced mish mash. Perhaps there are other rides out there that may fill that Haunted House shaped hole!

That is fair if you happen not to like it, but I wouldnt be too worried about other people being too scared. For the odd parents' complaint, youre not going to hear all the reports of the kids that enjoyed it.

Also for what you're saying it's not especially relevant you didnt ride the original (unless you were saying "I enjoyed it", but youre not), clearly youre comparing what youve seen of it.

But all your suggestions to improve the Curse are to recreate original parts, which would only be a forced mish mash. Perhaps there are other rides out there that may fill that Haunted House shaped hole!
I only brought up some of the old scenes since a few months back most people seemed pretty on board with the giants lair being revamped but with Emily being giant (which has kinda happened) that and most of the scene is just complete darkness, which is a bit disappointing Instead of set pieces.

Perhaps there are other rides to fill that hole, perhaps not, who knows.

I hope they get it sorted for the weekend as there will be a lot of people turning up who couldn't make last weekend for whatever reason and due to work commitments this may be the first chance they've had to get on a ride they've been looking forward to. Would be nice to have the ride going well for people (especially) on the first couple of weekends (not to say that people visiting in the week aren't as important, they absolutely are).

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Sub Terra with this and close it for a few weeks during a quieter period to do its final tweaks and then re-open it. V2

Long long time lurker on here but been reading this about kids and thought I'd jump in.

From watching the POV online, The Curse at Alton Manor seems soft to me compared to the original Haunted House. As someone who was 7, the first time I rode it, so right in the middle of the age range you're talking about the section of the original Haunted House after the Trommel Tunnel was extremely creepy.

Especially the section where the massive monks come from the side, straight into the massive giant behind the glass then into the spiders scene (when your scared of spiders anyway). The music on the original made it much much worse aswell especially the music drop before the spider head drops (most people won't notice that though but the little things), watching grainy videos from the 90's, that section still creeps me out 20 years later.

Duel in comparison (when I was 10) lost everything and ruined it imo. Scares are fun, similar is a fun ride like Toyland Tours at the other side of the park which the park lacks right now. There's very little for kids too old for CBeebies but too young for the big coasters.

Long long time lurker on here but been reading this about kids and thought I'd jump in.

From watching the POV online, The Curse at Alton Manor seems soft to me compared to the original Haunted House. As someone who was 7, the first time I rode it, so right in the middle of the age range you're talking about the section of the original Haunted House after the Trommel Tunnel was extremely creepy.

Especially the section where the massive monks come from the side, straight into the massive giant behind the glass then into the spiders scene (when your scared of spiders anyway). The music on the original made it much much worse aswell especially the music drop before the spider head drops (most people won't notice that though but the little things), watching grainy videos from the 90's, that section still creeps me out 20 years later.

Duel in comparison (when I was 10) lost everything and ruined it imo. Scares are fun, similar is a fun ride like Toyland Tours at the other side of the park which the park lacks right now. There's very little for kids too old for CBeebies but too young for the big coasters.
I wouldn’t say there’s very little for slightly older kids to do. Whilst the flat situation is dire, there is still:

Blade
Curse
RMT
Rapids
Marauders mayhem
Battle Galleons
Heave ho
GG
Hex
Flávio’s
Sealife (OK not a ride but it can kill 20 mins)

Then you also have the Dungeons and stalls.

Based on a £39 advance entry price and riding all 11 of the above, that works out at £3.55 per attraction not taking into account any re rides.

Somebody on Twitter who's there today said it actually opened at 9:30 this morning with all effects working.
Reminds me of Universal in 1990 when they purposely said that their main rides were closed when they actually weren't, so they could underpromise and overdeliver.

Rather them open it late than open it at the start of the season not finished. Surely they won't leave the blank spots as that ruins the ride imo. The scenes and bits they have done for it are great so they need to complete the ride

Last edited: