Star Wars

Discussion in 'Box Office' started by Harv, 21st Nov 2015.

1. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

I liked phantom menace, Darth Maul IMO is one of my fave enemies + the fight scene with him, Qui Gon & Obi Wan is up there with Luke & Vaders.

2. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

The action scenes in phantom menace were good IMO, but the rest of the film is boring. I don't care about galactic trade negotiations. And jar jar binks is the worst character in star wars any film. ever.

Last edited: 30th Dec 2015
    DiogoJ42 likes this.
  3. Joseph

Joseph TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    So I saw it today, in 3D which to date is the best use of 3D IMO.
    The film itself is miles better than the last 3 films that were made and i'd say it's equal to the originals.
    The story was brilliant and the twists were great, really really didn't expect one part to happen.
    Do try to go see it whilst you can!

4. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

^ what he said plus make sure you go to a decent cinema too. Manchester IMAX is the best :)

Joseph likes this.
  5. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

To be honest I was slightly disappointed at how 'safe' the film was. It was very Star Wars by numbers with so many callbacks to original trilogy. However I think the next movie will progress the plot, we'll find out what happened to the Jedi between VI-VII, Phasma was under used and who exactly Rey is. Once those questions have been answered I think VII will seem a much better film.

6. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I know I haven't seen it, but I thought that "who Rey is" was common knowledge? (Spoiler just in case you don't know and give a smeg.)
    The loin-fruit of Han and Leia.

7. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I hear the midi-chlorians are on the empires sex offenders register due to them impregnating Shmi without her consent.
    :D

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  8. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

I'll use spoiler tags to answer just to be safe
    It's very likely that Rey is a Skywalker but she could be Luke's. Personally I hope she isn't, not every Jedi has to be a Skywalker

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  9. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

I would definitely agree that Phasma was wasted. It is annoying because there were so many obvious moments where they could have used her instead of other generic First Order bad guys. I do expect that Phasma will make a much greater impression in VIII though.

Rojo likes this.
  10. Stevie

Stevie TowersStreet Member

One criticism I have of the film, was that General Hux was more menacing than emo-Vader Kylo Ren. Hux should have been the villian.

But other than that, it's an incredible film! Definitely the best "newer" Star Wars films.

Last edited: 23rd Dec 2015
  11. Nick

Nick TowersStreet Member

I think the point is that Kylo Ren was conflicted, whereas the general was just plain evil.

12. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

I enjoyed The Force Awakens, which is actually a first for me where Star Wars is concerned.

13. Spike

Spike TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Turned them into 2 of my top ten movies of all time? :p

The only reason I will eventually watch it is because JJ Abrams has directed it. I watched the 6 original Stars Wars late in life (about 5 years ago) and I thought they were crap. (Sorry) :oops:

14. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Wow... great film, the first star was I've seen in cinema (well, I saw episode 1 re-relese, but I'd already seen it). Well worth paying extra for D-box if you can. Just a few thoughts on the film
    • Why Han solo???
    • It Seemed to set up well for the next films (btw, when are they due to come out?)
    • Was a long section in the middle where not much happened. Yes it told the story, but could have been broken up a little.
    • Lot of references to past films ("do they have a trash compactor?").
    • Certain characters could have bigger parts (Luke having 5 minutes at the end of just staring was a little disappointing really. Could of happened much earlier)
    • Who was general hux? Think I know, but not sure.

Last edited: 30th Dec 2015
  15. Andrew

Andrew TS Contributor

@Leah The next film due to release on 16th December 2016 is Rogue One, a spin-off or (anthology as they're calling it) set between III and IV, based around a group of rebels attempting to steal the plans for the Death Star Mark I. This will be directed by Garth Edwards, starring Felicity Jones, Mads Mikkelsen, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Riz Ahmed and more.

Episode VIII is due for release on 26th May 2017 which will be the continuation of the main saga. This will be directed by Rian Johnson and Johnson will apparently ''make some weird thing'', according to screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan

On 25th May 2018 another anthology film is scheduled to be released, rumoured to be about the exploits of Han Solo before he got involved in all this Jedi malarkey- basically the story of his days as a smuggler. The Lego Movie’s Phil Lord and Chris Miller are directing, with Lawrence and Jon Kasdan writing.

In 2019 Episode IX will be released marking the conclusion of the newest trilogy of Star Wars films. Shame it has to be so long away! Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) is directing, with Rian Johnson writing this time.

And finally, in 2020 another anthology film will be released, rumoured to be about the loveable green bounty hunter Boba Fett, giving him a backstory as to why he isn't a very nice person. Nobody knows who is directing this one yet.

It looks to be an exciting few years for Star Wars fans!

Stevie and Leah like this.
  16. Stevie

Stevie TowersStreet Member

Episode VII has really rekindled my love for Star Wars. So I really can't wait for the next five years.

I just hope the next films live up to The Force Awakens. ☺

Posted 1st Jan 2016
  17. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

I am really surprised we know nothing about Rogue One - I was expecting a trailer before The Force Awakens but it is still very much a secret. Looking forwards though!

Posted 1st Jan 2016