• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Supermarket lunch meal deals

My husband has started drinking Huel at lunch times instead of eating actual food, so my weekly shop now involves trying to get the most value from a £5 Sainsbury's meal deal as possible. The most successful so far has been:

Main: Banana-flavoured Huel 500ml - £3.50
Drink: 1x Innocent Smoothie Tropical Defence 300ml - £2.50
Snack: Trio of Olives 60g - £1.30

Total value of individual items: £7.30

Huel is great but works out significantly cheaper if you buy in bulk directly from their website .

They also do healthy, nutritionally balanced Noodle meals which provides some lunchtime variety .

Tesco sandwiches are a disgrace these days, barely any filling in them. Sainsbury's sandwiches are far superior and the meal deal is better value than Tesco's offering.
I disagree and find most of Sainsbury's sandwiches are the bland chicken and bacon, chicken and stuffing, BLT staples. Tesco seems to have slightly more varied offerings. They both have recently started doing an excellent brie, bacon and chilli jam sandwich though.
I'm on the road a lot, so try not to spend too much on lunch every day. It's all about the McDonald's wrap of the day at just £1.99, much better than a cold supermarket sarnie and not *that* unhealthy for fast food.
I agree that the McD's wraps are great value and as you say about as healthy as a supermarket sandwich. I also do the survey on the receipt to get the burger and fries for £2.99 offer, but need to skip the fries if trying to be healthy.

I eat gluten free sandwiches and find the Waitrose egg salad the best choice. Tesco are dire, Sainsbury’s egg and cress isn’t bad. Boots is very poor. But it’s very limiting as most places only do one or two choices despite there being an increasingly larger demand for such products now.