Talbot Street Tuesday/Thursday (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Talbot Street' started by Dave, 3rd Jul 2012.

1. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    I contacted Zeiss Planetarium Support to see if they could shed any light on this:
    So I thought the next step was to have a hunt for information about it being gifted to the Science Museum, using their collection search tool (https://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/) I can only find reference to 2 of the individual projectors being donated:
    https://collection.sciencemuseum.or...r-part-of-the-mark-four-zeis-meteor-projector
    https://collection.sciencemuseum.or...monstration-models-orreries-planetaria-models
    There seems to be no mention of the actual substructure being held by them, could this be what we see in Oblivion's queueline?

altongeek and DiogoJ42 like this.
  2. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    altongeek likes this.
  3. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Best part of CatCF was the hilariously over the top performance from the Willy Wonka actor, followed by the TV adverts...

STOP THE BOAT!

4. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

The best bit of the ride was the music and Willy Wonka. I still remember most of the lines from the ride!

On to the nut room!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alsty likes this.
  5. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

Fascinating stuff. That second record was the one I had seen but I'd missed when it said "part of" the projector. I'm now therefore pretty certain that the Oblivion structure is the substructure from the London Planetarium.

I reckon the size and shape of the room in which the projector is now suspended creates an optical illusion that the machine is smaller then it really is. If you look at the guy queuing in the back of the TS picture, I could actually see those two projectors being the same size when you take the different angle into account:
    [​IMG]

In other Planetarium based news, I just stumbled upon this magazine, if you skip to page 133, you'll find yourself towards the end of an article about the London Planetarium and describing a very similar tale of the fate for the Zeiss Projector. Of course, you have to assume that author has confused the Blackhole and Oblivion but he is mid-rant at that point so it seems likely.

I can however believe the paragraph where someone at Merlin sent him a picture of the Nemesis entrance tower and asked him if this was what he was looking for.

altongeek and DiogoJ42 like this.
  6. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Well well, it seems that London had a slightly different looking mark IV to that one I posted above. The planet cages look shorter, and the disk at the base of the spheres is wider. Both of which do match what we see today in Oblivion's queue.
    You may be right after all, sir!

Also of note for lighting geeks in the picture at the start of that pdf (will read through the rest on my commute), are the two mirror balls either side of the support structure. I can only assume these were used in the "Lasarium" shows? I never saw them myself, but I don't recall them in either the public or schools planetarium shows.

7. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wild Mouse(Decd.) Blackpoo
    Many a friday night we did the laser show before the late night showing of the RHPS at Baker St cinema next door.
    More people laid out tripping in the aisles and passageways than sat in the reclining seats.
    Last bit was Tangerine Dream to lasers superimposed on the night sky, slowly rotating...amazing show.
    Forty years ago now.
    Sh!t I'm old.
    Cheers for the memories Diogo.

Edit...they bounced spots and lasers off the glitter balls Diogo.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  8. WillPS

WillPS TowersStreet Member

What a fantastic piece of equipment to just be sat rusting away in a queue line.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  9. TakeYourMedicine

TakeYourMedicine TowersStreet Member

The only other place it would be of any use is in a museum. It looks great in the queue, it's great technique for scenery to use real 'obscure' objects to look extra bizarre and yet purposeful.

But what is a real shame is how beaten and unkept it is. For years it's had GAFFA TAPE over where lamps used to flash and the whole building is just in a state. The whole queue has gotten really lame, but it was very cool and different in the past as part of the build up to the ride.

Robert.W and DiogoJ42 like this.
  10. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    Clearer photo (credit to Theme Park Incorporated via Google maps)[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DiogoJ42 likes this.