• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Tuesday/Thursday (Picture Heavy)

Re: Talbot Street Tuesday (Picture Heavy)

not that i expect weekly updates but a bit sad not to see anything this week :twirly:

We have had 2 Talbot Street updates this week, but for various reasons we seem to have forgot to post them on the forum.

The best place to check for Talbot Street updates is by liking us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/TowersStreet

Indeed like us on FB but you can see everything in TST this week in our first behind the scenes gallery which can be found in the galleries tab.

Fear not! Talbot Street Tuesday is here this week!

With all the work going on around the X Sector ready for the new season, including the much-anitcipated refurb of Oblivion, for this week's Talbot Street Tuesday we thought we might take a look at what we might expect by taking a peak at the original concept artwork.
555849_442056889198094_2122664656_n.jpg

It is easy to forget how many individual structures come together to create Oblivion's theme, each with its own concept. In most cases the artwork is very similar to the finished product, though notably the queueline building's text changed from "Unit 29" (as seen here) to "SW4 QLB" (Secret Weapon 4 - Queue Line Building)
11272_442056915864758_365686657_n.jpg

The sculpture found inside the building is partially made up of the old projector from the Planetarium, which operated at the park in the 70s and 80s
549323_442057085864741_1284994512_n.jpg

The station is expected to be recieving some extra care and attention during the current refurb, which will hopefully bring it back to it's original glory.
69638_442056935864756_1296734290_n.png

Some of the concpet artwrok for Oblivion's iconic drop.
522132_442056989198084_105261105_n.jpg

Moving on to the Rehydrator, the current counter-based outlet at the base of the unit was originally an open plan shop. This would have been the view from the Enterprise side of the building.
529802_442057029198080_871700640_n.jpg

Inside the shop the area's theme continued, though with an added dash of Coca-Cola goodness. It is unknown how much of the original shop decoration still remains behind the current counter.
426697_442057025864747_1633967228_n.jpg

Finally this week let's take a trip back to reality and whilst the concept artwork was being drawn up, the coaster's shuttles were being built.
557714_442057069198076_300174152_n.jpg

A couple of execs try out the incomplete shuttle.
522094_442057179198065_697765939_n.jpg

And whilst they do let's take a look at the underside of the shuttle.
65237_442057105864739_873889634_n.jpg

A final look at the profile of the shuttle.
531794_442057145864735_1948409902_n.jpg

^ such a brilliant ride and some brilliant photographs, thank you :)

I wish they would restore the Rehydrator to its former glory - it saddens me that the cafe is long closed and the whole thing has since been raped by Fanta.

:(

I love looking at pictures of bare engineering, Oh boy those chap's sure do look happy to be sitting on it.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
I wish they would restore the Rehydrator to its former glory - it saddens me that the cafe is long closed and the whole thing has since been raped by Fanta.

It was always dead.

WillPS said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:

It was always dead.

Yeah come to think of it I dont think I ever stepped foot in there!!!

GaryH said:
WillPS said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:

It was always dead.

Yeah come to think of it I dont think I ever stepped foot in there!!!

I went in there once, only by accident though. I thought it was awesome inside but the next time I went back it was gone :( I now wish I'd payed more attention while i was inside, I was only 7 so I don't remember much.

Well I never knew it used to be a shop you could go in, you really do learn something every day! I just always assumed it had been a counter like it is now (albeit closed due to cuts). A shame though, the concepts look great.

:)

I don't remember it being a shop, but I did walk through it a couple of times to get to the drop area. All I remember of it is a weird Coke-themed building.

I always thought the Rehydrator looked a little large to have just been a counter. Especially when you consider the size of some of the other counters such as the one in Gloomy Wood.

WillPS said:
It was always dead.
Ah, that's quite interesting. It sounds like something of a failed idea, which is unfortunate.

During the planning stages it looked like a key piece of infrastructure, serving both as the main access to the drop and as a feature to integrate the Oblivion theme into the drop area. Some of the plans I have seen look quite ambitious, with many lighting effects and 'cool' postmodern architecture. The concept sounds great, but all of these plans relied on the expectation that people would actually want to go in it.

They kind of killed the idea by installing the steps down the drop, since people see those first and use that as the route into the pit, while the Rehydrator entrance is hidden from view down near Submission. I imagine people would just assume it was a shop and therefore choose not to go in. Even looking at the building today you can see that the doorways are far too narrow to cope with a large flow of people heading to the drop, so it had a flawed design as well:

IMGP0885_zpse6d3e5a1.jpg

However, even today as a food outlet it is uninviting. The drinks outlet installed on the top floor doesn't seem popular either because of its awkward location. So it will never work well as a shop, but as a theme feature it could be great.

Personally I would reuse the old "energy booster" food outlet that was once in Oblivion's queue (recently rescued from near the Black Hole) and install that properly on the grass island in the centre of X Sector. This would serve as lower X Sector's snack unit and be more popular, I think. Then, block access to the steps with gates so that they would only be used by staff. This would turn the paths surrounding the pit into elevated 'viewpoints' only, and remove the problem of crowding around the steps. The Rehyrdrator would then be the main access to the drop zone. The building should be gutted and refurbished (Merlin like doing that recently, it seems), while learning from the previous mistakes.

The entrance will have to be much wider, and more of a song and dance could be made about it with Oblivion-style architectural details and signage. Visitors must want to go in, either to get to the drop or because the building looks interesting. Inside, it would be fantastic if they restored the central column, screens and lighting effects, since X Sector as an area has lacked physical theming after it was all removed. Remove the partitions between the floors so that the column extends to the top as it used to (I assume) and replace the opaque windows on the top floor with glass. This time there will be no references to Coca Cola around the building and they would not sell drinks. I understand that cleaning issues were also a contribution to its closure, so any redesign would have to be more spacious and simple than it was before to allow for practicality.

The best advantage for bringing back the Rehydrator would be the opportunity to resuscitate the Oblivion theme and make it more prominent in the area. Occasionally play security announcements to heighten the atmosphere, play the drum n bass Oblivion them on a loop and bring back the 'Oblivion Report', which I think would add a lot to the area. It's a hilarious video, the more of Renny Krupinski the better!

I think it could work if they tried but the costs for reinstalling everything would no doubt outweigh the benefits. The general public would notice a difference surely, and it could be a lot of fun for them, but you could argue it's fine as it is today. However, if it doesn't get done this year I doubt it will ever happen and we will be stuck with FANTA!! Rehydrator forever, since X Sector is unlikely to see another significant investment once The Smiler has opened. But even if they just repaint it black this year I will be pleased!
______

Alton Towers recently showed interest in the old Rehyrdrator by mounting some great images of it in the Fried Chicken restaurant. They also displayed these images as part of the Oblivion 'campaign' in the All Time Greats stunt in 2011:

IMG_0035_zpsd8469e0c.jpg

A photo of the actual building. Sorry for the lack of clarity!

IMG_0037_zpsf8c8080f.jpg

Some more concept art - it never looked like this. Interesting to see one idea was to have a whole in the ground - possibly to hint at what could be down in Oblivion's tunnel.

I've never seen that last concept art! What a massive shame they never went ahead with it, very cool.

Although I dread to think what it would have looked like today with the general lack of X-Sector maintenance.

electricBlll said:
IMG_0037_zpsf8c8080f.jpg

Some more concept art - it never looked like this. Interesting to see one idea was to have a whole in the ground - possibly to hint at what could be down in Oblivion's tunnel.

Imagine that, being able to look down the centre area and see a train zooming past - maybe they could of had very low lighting so you could just make out the shuttle zooming past with sort of two way glass covering it preventing the up-draft of air and also the rider side - don't know if it would of been possible, but it would of been cool if they could of. Maybe, if the rumours of SW7 having a glass floor come true then they have revived the idea from way back - from its neighbouring ride Oblivion.

Im guessing that originally there was no shop on the top level, and instead you could look right up into the whole building if you were in the lower level. Im guessing it just wasnt very popular and most people probably didnt even notice it was there.

I wonder how much (if any) of the original themeing still remains inside the shops.

It's time for another Talbot Street Tuesday (remember you can always view Talbot Street Tuesday on our Facebook page every Tuesday).

This week for Talbot Street Tuesday we take a look behind the scenes at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Inside, a corridor system runs throughout the ride allowing access to different scenes and allowing some interesting views around the ride.

Mrs Gloop doesn't look so happy to see us...
182670_445142185556231_1363901272_n.jpg

Hello there l'il fella.

He's a little shy, he's not used to sharing his grass bank with guests, usually they're confined to the boats.
529559_445142005556249_1798086153_n.jpg

Heading into the backstage corridors the walls are littered with lighting schemes for the ride. These are designed to allow technical services to easily see what should be where and how each scene should look and be lit.
71414_445142055556244_307534477_n.jpg

And for all the speak enthusiasts out there, here's a plan of all of the speakers in the ride.
579808_445142245556225_673336214_n.jpg

Into the op cabin, for a peak at the ride controls. Through the window you can just see the platform rails where guests disembark from the boat-ride section.
307374_445142118889571_552899070_n.jpg

Further through the ride we come to one of the projection rooms, which create the Great Glass Elevator scene. Five projectors are used to recreated Charlie's trip into the sky.
487871_445142175556232_2044973299_n.jpg

CAUTION: Geeks in the mirror may be closer than they appear.

Here you can see the projection system in operation. The projector projects onto a small mirror, which reflects the image onto a larger mirror (through which the image is taken), which in turn rear projects onto the screens that make up the walls of the lifts.

The back 'wall' in this image is in fact one of the walls of the life, and if you look carefully you can see the start of the lift video being projected onto it.
28905_445142808889502_537541238_n.jpg

Moving back to the boat ride, here you can see the boats being charged after ride close, in between the offload platform and the ride station.

The "Please Remain Seated" sign is left from Toyland Tours, one of the ride's previous incarnations, where this area would have been part of the ride (which loaded and unloaded from a single station)

In Toyland Tours day we would have been looking directly at the infamous Busty the Hippo model.
529424_445141998889583_1471346058_n.jpg

Looking the other way, the extension leads used to charge the boats are very clear.

On the back wall of this area decorations act as a reminder of it's former life in Toyland Tours, where this was the partytime scene. The lighter walls divide this area from the offload platform.

In the original plans for the ride, this area would have been used as a Shop on one side of the channel and a "party room" on the other, which would have presumably been a room available for hire.
282599_445142058889577_517891421_n.jpg

Looking through to the offload platform. This area of the ride was rerouted when the ride became Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and beyond the wall can be seen the remains of the original ride trough.

In the days of Toyland Tours this picture would have been of a jelly with a mermaid atop of it. Behind that would have been a wall (now demolished) dividing two of the ride's scenes.

The blue wall at the back would have been in a neighbouring room and would have had a giraffe being ridden by a teddy up against it.
529784_445142062222910_598281132_n.jpg

The largest remaining feature of Toyland Tours still present in the building is the SS Toyland, the boat which formed part of the old ride's station.

Rather than demolishing the boat, it was decided just to wall it up, as the far side of the ride station was not going to be in use any longer.
485312_445142138889569_1872788284_n.jpg

ALL ABOARD!

Behind the wall on the right of the picture is the current ride's loading platform. As you set off into the Chocolate Factory, this is centimetres away from you.

The paddle wheel see in the loading station of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is in fact part of the SS Toyland (as well as powering the ride)
539524_445142232222893_1028880967_n.jpg

But Toyland Tours is not the oldest ride with remains still present in the building. In the backstage corridors surrounding the Nutroom can be found this wallpaper, which is left over from Doom and Sons, the park's original Haunted walk-through, which closed after The Haunted House was built.
538226_445142132222903_1740923356_n.jpg

Doesn't time fly! It's Tuesday again and time for another (rather sad :() Talbot Street Tuesday.

Welcome to this week's Talbot Street Tuesday, and for those of you who are missing The Sanctuary, this week we're in familiar territory in the Towers, though in the unfamiliar decade of the 1950s, before they were ruins.

Though they're not far off. These images were taken shortly before the interiors of the mansion were striped out, leaving them as the shell we see today.

The state of building can be seen by looking closely at the number of broken windows or at the roof of the tower on the left of the photo.
563215_448232955247154_1081145813_n.jpg

Another shot showing the Towers not looking at their best and Her Ladyship's Garden is looking somewhat untidy. The whole area could do with a trim after years of abandonment during the war.
13142_448232985247151_201780716_n.jpg

It's hard to imagine that this is the same area that is today used as the exit of Hex and the queue lines for the Towers' horror mazes.

In the months following almost all of the roofs seen in this pictures would be striped and the materials sold on.
11154_448232921913824_780895160_n.jpg

On the other side of the conservatory the Star Garden has not faired much better, though the lack of trees and bushes must have helped.

The view here is the same one you would see today as you exit Hex.
525510_448232935247156_1560006855_n.jpg

The house Conservatory did not make it through the war period unscathed either. The roof is showing great signs of the decay that would see the structure demolished, leaving much of the Conservatory without a roof for the following 60 years.

More impressively, a closer look at the windows reveals that the plants within the room have entirely overtaken the space in the years leading up to this photo being taken.

These images are some of ones used to draw up the plans for the 2011 restoration of the Conservatory's roof.
155251_448233018580481_715302646_n.jpg

Moving beyond the Conservatory, we are into the Drawing Room, with it's ornate decoration and plaster roof still in tact.

Some of the plaster work on the walls still survives to this day, along with fragments of the stained glass in the windows.

The Drawing Room seen here is shared between the two mazes during Scarefest. The open door leads from the Conservatory and is used for The Sanctuary, whilst Terror of the Towers enters the room though the doors on the far wall.
64402_448232968580486_320830039_n.jpg

And the same room looking in the opposite direction. The open door in far wall would today lead through to the main part of The Sanctuary, whilst the large archway leads to the main scenes of Terror of the Towers.

The debris seen strewn across the floor has come from the ceiling, which has begun to fall in after years of damp and little maintenance.

It is fairly difficult to recognise the room seen here when compared to the bare walls of its modern appearance.
402970_448232995247150_1067924142_n.jpg

A closer look at the ornate door frames and mirror at one end of the room.

This would all be striped away in the coming months to leave bear brickwork and the large square arches that are still seen today.
382226_448233025247147_726383204_n.jpg

Moving through to the Music Room, which housed the Television scene of the Sanctuary. This was the plaster ceiling in the by window, recorded by photograph before it was striped out.
535574_448233051913811_939683917_n.jpg

Finally this week, a rather haunting photo of the mansion as the interior was pulled out.

Here the house itself slowly disappears behind a pile of raw materials, which used to grace the interiors and would later be sold on
735002_448233085247141_2015944817_n.jpg