• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Tuesday

This Christmas is the first time in quite a while that the park has had a full event for paying day guests during winter, but for today's Talbot Street Tuesday we're heading back to late 80s and Alton Towers' earliest Christmas events.

The park opened from 2-10pm for its first Festive Season in 1988 and entrance cost just £4.50, featuring a Victorian Market, Festive Parade and Carol Singers.

In fact, one of the rides that operated during that first year is still in the line-up of the current Christmas event. Can you spot it in this festive map from 1989?
Map - close up.jpg

Found this looking through some old photos
4d062bbf81b4adbfecce682f59d42093.jpg

Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fairly vivid memories from there's something in the dung heap considering I was still pretty young at the time. I remember I definitely enjoyed it a lot, and got to spend time there with my mum while my dad and siblings were on the rides too big for me and her as well. I really miss the pre cbeebies land kids areas at towers, they were so much more unique and fun (to me at least, maybe if I was a child now I'd think differently)

I just remember it always being empty. So much so that back in the day we used to all mess about on here during meets, with no a kid in sight. There’s no chance since it became CBeebies land that you would see it empty.

Christmas is over once again and this year the park introduced Lightopia to the festive season.

But for today's Talbot Street Tuesday let's hop back to last Christmas and the extremely short lived Garden Lantern Trail.

Which was your favourite? Do you prefer this year's light extravaganza or last year's character-led fairytale trail?
51800351225_9ed7e6896a_c.jpg

We have a thrilling Talbot Street Tuesday this week as we take a spin on Dynamo.

It first opened as AstroDancer in 1993 and back then its fairground theme would not have looked out of place in the Retro Squad.

But would you like to see this sort of spinning attraction return to the park in the future?
51812203837_f74e4d1458_c.jpg

Last week we reminded our FB crew about the Neme21s cupcakes, but for this week's Talbot Street Tuesday we bring you the Nemesis meat platter!

Would you fancy a slice of this very special carvery, which we believe was created for the opening ceremony for the ride?

Back in 1994 special guests, including TV's Gladiators, who helped open Nemesis, would have been invited to tuck in to a slice of the beast after their first rides.

meat platter - resized.jpg

Last week we reminded our FB crew about the Neme21s cupcakes, but for this week's Talbot Street Tuesday we bring you the Nemesis meat platter!

Would you fancy a slice of this very special carvery, which we believe was created for the opening ceremony for the ride?

Back in 1994 special guests, including TV's Gladiators, who helped open Nemesis, would have been invited to tuck in to a slice of the beast after their first rides.

meat platter - resized.jpg
Wow I had no idea that happened. It really is very good.
Towers must’ve had a good butcher.

Let's stick with Nemesis for this week's Talbot Street Tuesday.

This concept for a Nemesis walkabout character was designed at some point around 1999, but we're not sure the idea ever made it off the page and into the park.

With the ride due for a full refresh in the next couple of seasons, are there any long-lost theming elements you'd like the park to revisit and bring back to the ride when it reopens after refurbishment?

Nemesis character resize.jpg

Interesting. 1999 was the year the ride got a new logo for no particular reason as well. I wonder if the two things were linked and if there was a larger plan to relaunch the ride in some way for its 5th birthday...

That costume never made an appearance, or not at least as I recall. I think the decision to redesign Nemesis's logo was largely influenced by how the 1994 edition suddenly looked dated and cartoonish next to the very new-millenium style and distinctive logo of Oblivion.

Am I the only one that sees an orange member of the borg collective looking at that concept?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk