• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Talbot Street Tuesday

Coaster Corner closure was indeed quick. If I recall it was literally closed when the season ended never to be seen again

It's a huge area, the 'shelf' coasters were hastily put there without planning permission by John Broome. Tussauds, being less irresponsible than JB, removed them quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Towers Street original paving was red brick (probably similar to now) at the sides and grey (I think) in the middle to simulate a street with pavement. It must have been replaced when they removed the awesome flower beds and features up the middle and replaced them with the boring rock bordered patches of grass they have today.

I have no idea why Tussauds decided to vandalise Towers Street and Talbot Street.

Towers St was brick paved since the start, so was Coaster Corner or at least many parts of it still are behind the scenes. It's a huge area and had been planned for development as a permanent land for a long time, until the 'shelf' coasters were hastily put there without planning permission by John Broome. Tussauds, being less irresponsible than JB, planned to remove it immediately.
Not really. Tussauds attempted to get permission once more I believe, hence it remaining in 1991.

They also hung on as long as they possibly could before accepting Thunder Looper had to go, maximising time with every appeal opportunity they had.

Everyone loves Oktoberfest, but for today's Talbot Street Tuesday we're not talking about the popular event.

Instead, let's head back to 1984 and Project Octoberfest - the code name given to the project that saw Festival Park arrive in the park.

We don't know if the project name had significance at the time, or if they had intended to add a more Bavarian theme to the area. But we do know that Project Octoberfest was part of the biggest infusion of thrill rides the park ever saw - six flat rides arrived in the park over the course of one season!
47256968092_34ee8c500e_c.jpg

Everyone loves Oktoberfest, but for today's Talbot Street Tuesday we're not talking about the popular event.

Instead, let's head back to 1984 and Project Octoberfest - the code name given to the project that saw Festival Park arrive in the park.

We don't know if the project name had significance at the time, or if they had intended to add a more Bavarian theme to the area. But we do know that Project Octoberfest was part of the biggest infusion of thrill rides the park ever saw - six flat rides arrived in the park over the course of one season!
47256968092_34ee8c500e_c.jpg
That picture! Exactly as I remember it, I've never seen this photo before. Do you remember what the green roofed building in front of corkscrew was? I want to say a games stall of some sort? Or was this before the food outlets were built?

Am I right in thinking that the wave swinger was in the same place when the area became Ug Land? Given the hills on the horizon, which look identical today I am sure this photo is looking towards the valley?

But you're probably thinking of the Corkscrew Arcade, which was in the building from 1987.

Yeah that's right! I didn't visit until 88/89 time (according to my mum) so that must be what I'm thinking of.

What a great picture. As you guys may be able to tell, I have many a happy childhood memory based in Festival Park. In the pre- FV, KC and GW era, FP and Talbot Street were the ultimate theme park side of Alton for me.

For over fifteen years, the park's Halloween Mascots have been the familiar faces of Scarefest.

But, for this week's Talbot Street Tuesday, we're taking a look at some concept art from the early days of Scarefest that seems to show alternative designs for two of our frightful friends.

Did Alton Towers make the right choice? Or would you prefer these versions of Franklyn and Phil?
scarefest-frankenstein-character.jpg

scarfest-mummy-character.jpg

Thought it was Throwback Thursday now? Not seen it on the forum mind, just social media.
They are two sides of the same coin. Throwback Thursdays tend to be highlighting existing content/pics and have only ever really happened on social media.

Talbot Street Tuesdays are slightly more in depth and have always tended to include new or updated site content, which is why they tend to come in slightly more sporadic bursts, as it can actually be quite a lot of work to produce a single Talbot Street Tuesday.

Admin - can we bring back this thread
That said, I very much take on board this feedback and I know that the history content is very popular. Variations on this theme was also very common in the recent Towers Street survey, so there's clearly a demand for more of this type of content. Which is great to see, as the park has so much and varied history to it.

Once we get past the start of the season and all the site updates that are part and parcel of this time of year, I'll have a ponder on how to bring back Talbot Street Tuesday in some form for the new season. :)