• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

$tarbuck$

Jem8472

TS Member
I saw the news the other day about Starbucks has been avoiding paying corporation tax for the last 3 years.

I know there are a lot of Starbucks fans on this site and was wondering if this is going to change your drinking habits?

I have only once or twice been into a Starbucks and what I had was ok. But a while a go a friend of mine opened a little coffee shop in Norwich and now if I am in the city I go and visit him if I feel the need for something. I usually go for the hot chocolate as its awesome!

I would urge any of you that have a coffee addiction and go to Starbucks to search out your local coffee house and try supporting the little guys that actually pay their tax bills rather than avoiding it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

I don't think anyone's surprised, really.

Although it's strange calling Starbucks out, I doubt any of the large, aggressively expanding multi-national companies pay much attention to the law.

Considering my local coffee shop is now absolutely rubbish as the original Italian owner moved out and some Brits moved in and turned what was a lovely little deli/cafe into a hideous greasy spoon, my only other alternative now is Costa Crappy.

I'd welcome a Starbucks, even if they are a bunch of thieving gits! XD

Vodafone are exactly the same, Corporation Tax. This kind of thing, as much as it's scary to say, must be prevalent amongst large companies and corporations.

Here is a more detailed financial prose of what they're up to:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2218958/OPINION-Starbucks-position-UK-tax-stench-hypocrisy.html?ITO=1490

Now, whilst there is definitely a whiff of the Torygraph about this article for some reason (see, the "mansions" comment ;D) - where the BBC page left me feeling a bit, well, "meh" about it - I have to say a more detailed look actually pushed me into the "BOYCOTT!" section.

They are most certainly not alone in their escapades that's for sure. That doesn't mean though, that it should not be dealt with, particularly by a company that seems fit to heap praise upon it self at any given opportunity.

As the article says, CEO worth near on £1bn, heading up a "loss making" organisation? Where can I get one?? ;D

Anyone?

Actually, considering they're doing nothing wrong, blame the Government for all these rich people and corporations who avoid paying what they should. Why wouldn't they save money in this way? If our Government don't sort this out then who can blame people for avoiding paying more tax than they actually have to?

Even some members of Parliament avoid paying more tax though.

It's the Jimmy Carr thing again. They're doing it so make more money. It's dishonest and immoral. The government should clamp down on it.

Maybe it's just because I've always been unsettled by Starbucks, but not only a I not surprised by this, I was expecting it.

BigAl said:
Even some members of Parliament avoid paying more tax though.

This is a great point, whilst not all, a significant notable few, are hardly bastions of moral tax high ground are they?

Expenses anyone? Pay rises, when public services are being crushed?

The lot of it needs an overhaul.

I'll boycott them as soon as I work out how to make the coffee fap-fap-Fappuccinos at home...

The one hing I really love from Starbucks is the pumpkin spice latte. But as they seem to be constantly sold out, I think I can boycott them.

Blaze said:
It's the Jimmy Carr thing again. They're doing it so make more money. It's dishonest and immoral. The government should clamp down on it.

Maybe it's just because I've always been unsettled by Starbucks, but not only a I not surprised by this, I was expecting it.

That's the real source problem, the government. If I were running Starbucks and could legally save millions of pounds per year at the risk of it being a "bit immoral" then I know what I'd do.

No, it's more than just a 'bit' immoral. It's equivalent to mugging every citizen in this country, and if you would do it, than you are no better than a thief.

Meat Pie said:
No, it's more than just a 'bit' immoral. It's equivalent to mugging every citizen in this country, and if you would do it, than you are no better than a thief.

Well, they've been doing it for years without complaint - despite their financial dealings being public knowledge for all that time. If it were tantamount to thieving then it would both have been outlawed years ago and/or complained at years ago. As it is, HM R&C investigated them 2 years ago and found nothing - they aren't doing anything wrong. It's not them at fault, it's the government.

Since you define your morality through law, if the government made it legal for big corporations to literally kill their competition, I guess you wouldn't think that is tantamount to murder... Since it's legal?

It's all an excuse for selfish people to get away with things they know are wrong.