• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Teach Me Something!

Jables

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Stormforce 10
Whilst browsing the forums and watching videos/viewing social media,
I have noticed all these different maunfacturers named for whatever reason.
Some are good some are bad. Eg "Oh God why did it have to be a Gerstlauer"
An example I can think of is B&M.

I'd find it very useful if someone could tell me each manufacturer. And what they're
about and if they're good or not?

Pinfari is the world's best and leading rollercoaster manufacturer and are well known for their commitment to quality and innovation.

Pre-2000 B&M - Smooth, intense, fantastic layouts and incredible innovation.
Post-2000 B&M - Smooth, mediocre layouts and incredible innovation.
Intamin - Ridiculous range of products, best known for attempting far fetched and extreme designs that often fail. Also well known for worst reliability record and most number of deaths.
Gerstlauer - Fairly solid manufacturer, reputation tarnished by their poorly implemented UK rides. Known best for small trains and tight layouts.
Mack - Smooth, supremely designed coasters that are thrilling and look great.

Before I start, this is my opinion if they're good or not, and not fact.

Wooden Coasters:

To be fair, in my opinion, there's little wooden manufactures can do wrong- they all have their merits.

I'm not going to cover some of the old designers, as before the 80's, most were made by designers and the parks, rather than going to manufactures.

Custom Coasters International: Some very good, some notoriously rough. These were really the first manufacture of modern wooden coasters. Some coasters (such as Shivering Timbers and GhostRider) were mainly out-and-back, and some were more twisted layouts (such as Tonnerre de Zeus). An example would be Megafobia at Oakwood Theme Park:
http://rcdb.com/756.htm

Both these formed just before or after CCI dissolved:

Gravity Group: Good, although can be fairly rough in some coasters. Feature 90 degree banking on some turns, which were unheard of until about seven years ago. Some also have hybrid steel supports, which are unique to wooden coasters. These coasters tend to be some of the biggest modern wooden coasters. An example would be Voyage at Holiday World:
http://rcdb.com/3231.htm

Great Coaster International (GCI): Good. These layouts are generally super compact twister layouts- unlike Gravity Group's huge hills and often out-and-back layouts. The are based on the style of old compact coasters, such as Cyclone at Coney Island. Also, the coasters are generally more family friendly than Gravity Group. An example would be Wodan at Europa Park:
http://rcdb.com/10018.htm

Also, there are a couple of other smaller companies:

Intamin: Good. Modern models use prefabricated track (ie. track is made in a factory, like a steel coaster). These tend to be very smooth, have huge amounts of air-time and are often very tall. An example would be El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure:
http://rcdb.com/3183.htm

Rocky Mountain Company: Insane. Another user of prefabricated track, but RMC are just ridiculous with it. 80 degree drops, inversions and stupidly banked turns are the order of the day. They also retrace a few coasters that have lived their day. An example would be Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City:
http://rcdb.com/10582.htm

Steel:

Now here there is a much more varied range of quality:

Arrow: Mainly bad, a few exceptions. Created the first steel coaster (Matterhorn Bobsleds), and then a million looping models, such as Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain:
http://rcdb.com/25.htm
Then came the boring hyper coasters, such as the Big One:
http://rcdb.com/775.htm
More interesting are the suspended coasters, which is probably their best model. An (insane) example is Eagle's Fortress at Everland:
http://rcdb.com/1337.htm
Also they are notable for introducing the 4th Dimension coasters.

Vekoma: The majority are awful, some are good. They begun ripping off Arrow's Corkscrew model (with one being Alton Tower's very own Corkscrew) before introducing the Boomerang and the that'll you find at almost every crap theme park. Then came the God awful SLC (such as Infusion at Blackpool Pleasure Beach). All these models are very rough and poorly designed.
However, Vekoma have seen the light, and have changed their track style completely. This has brought some magnificent new mine trains (such as Expedition Everest) and inverted coasters (such as Orkanen: http://rcdb.com/10902.htm). It seems that Vekoma has a better future.

Bolliger and Mabillard (B&M): Good, as in smooth, but some are forceless. Usually at the forefront of roller coaster technology, bringing out the Stand-up coaster, Inverted coaster (Nemesis), Dive Machine (Oblivion), Floorless coaster, Flying coaster (Air) and Wing Coaster. They also made spin offs of classic looping coasters and hyper coasters. Many coasters are very good, but some have been labelled generic and forceless (Nemesis Inferno is an example). The coasters are always well made, though.

Giovanola: Bad. Apart from a few examples (the hyper coasters of Goliath and Titan), Giovanola are pretty bad. Their track is very similar to that of B&M. Many of the other coasters they made aren't too notable.

Intamin: Good. They started off small with a couple of wooden coasters and a few family coasters. However, they got much bigger as the begun creating hyper coasters with huge air-time as well as looping models (Colossus), inverted coasters and launch coasters (Rita). Their coasters are usually fast and thrilling, although not when their trimmed to death (Thirteen).

Schwarzkopf: Good. Creator of the first vertical loop. Most well known for the Looping Star model, and its variants: http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8211, and the Jet Star, and its variants: http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8198. Also producer of Black Hole.

Maurer Söhne: Quite Bad. Horrible reliability and throughputs. They have the spinning coaster (such as Sonic Spinball) and the looping coaster (such as G-Force). They generally have poor restraints.

Gerstlauer: Unreliable, some are good. The Eurofighters are generally good, with some notable (Saw) models with poor smoothness. The bobsled model looks good, and an excellent family coaster. The newest model is the Infinity coaster (such as The Smiler). Lets avoid comment on the reliability of that.

Pinfari: Awful. Nothing more to say, they are awful. Don't try and look for them.

Mack: Good. An up and coming star. Well in place with the powered coaster (Runaway Mine Train) and the bobsled coaster (Avalanche), as well as many other coaster styles that you can see at Europa Park. Then came the mega coaster (Blue Fire), which is said to be Mack's best coaster style. Mack's coasters are slowly being appreciated for being well made and comfortable, and are slowly opening in many parks around the world.

S&S: Even the one's that did open on time are bad. Producer of the gimmicky over 90 degree coaster (such as Mumbo Jumbo), poor reliability launching coasters (Ring Racer) and the hilarious Screamin Squirrel coaster. However, they have shown promise in continuing the 4th Dimension coaster from Arrow.

Morgan: Bad. They make hyper coasters that make Arrow's look good.

Togo. The worst. *Insert slow lift-hill jokes here.*

Premier: Look half-decent. Some promising rides, such as the crazy Poltergeist: http://rcdb.com/528.htm. Decent trackwork, although there are some dodgy areas.

Have I missed anyone?

B&M - the Rolls-Royce of manufacturers. Perfectly engineered, smooth rollercoasters, which some have criticised lately for becoming more dull and forceless. Noted for their usually-high throughputs and impeccable safety record.
Intamin - Responsible for some of the greatest innovations in the industry, from the invention of the rapids ride and drop tower, to the current record holders in height and speed. Intamins seem to suffer from cognitive dissonance, either being the best in the world (El Toro, EGF, T-Express) or the worst (Furius Baco, Volcano: The Blast Coaster). Infamous for their unreliability and bad safety record, including several deaths.
Vekoma - Once mocked as a cheap option, they are now one of the premium manufacturers, and almost-exclusive provider of bespoke rollercoasters to Disney. Although they are not really rated as a thrill-manufacturer, their family rides are well respected, especially their excellent madhouses and mine trains.
Mack - A rising star within the industry. Once responsible mostly for mine-trains and tea-cups, their portfolio has come on leaps and bounds over the last two decades with spinning coasters, water coasters and childrens coasters added to the list. Their Megacoaster (Blue Fire, Manta) set a new benchmark in 2009 for quality, comfort and reliability, and may usher in a new era for looping coasters with lapbars.
Arrow
The granddaddy of the industry. Formed from a group of engineers hired by Walt Disney to build the first Disneyland rides, they have been responsible for a sizeable chunk of 20th century coaster innovations. These include the first tubular-steel coaster (Matterhorn Bobsleds), the first suspended coaster (The Bat) and the first inverting coaster in modern times. They also built the first hypercoasters which have a reputation for being hit (Magnum) & miss (The Big One). In 2002 they took on a job they really weren't capable for - the first 4D coaster at Magic Mountain - and the resultant lawsuits from a series of maintenance issues knocked them out of business. They were acquired by S&S who continue to produce a modified 4D coaster.
Schwarzkopf
Defunct manufacturer headed by the late German Anton Schwarzkopf. Known for their extremely intense looping coasters - they dabbled in other areas, but did little else. Their layouts are usually very compact and often end with a tight set of helixes, and some of their coasters are on the travelling fair circuit. Noted for building the first looping coaster in modern times, and for being the manufacturer behind the most fatal accident in rollercoaster history (Mindbender)
Gerstlauer
Founded by ex-employees of Schwarzkopf, many of the defunct company's hallmarks can be found here, such as tight, intense, compact layouts. Known for their wildly successful Eurofighter model, which introduced the trend of more-than-vertical drops to the market. Although they are often a cheaper option for a thrill coaster than Mack, Intamin or B&M, their rides are notorious for downtime and safety incidents (New Texas Giant, The Smiler), and for developing 'Gerstache'.
S&S
American manufacturer famous for using air pressure to create thrill rides. While they have some created some impressive rides, such as the highest-acceleration coaster in the world (Dodonpa), they are also responsible for some almighty disasters (Hypersonic XLC, ring°racer)
Premier
Another American manufacturer, most famous for a series of launch coasters in the late-90s and early-2000s and for the excellent Revenge of the Mummy ride at Universal parks. Recent work has included the innovative Superman: Ultimate Flight and Full Throttle coasters, both utilising LSM launch technology.
Zamperla
A budget manufacturer, and a favourite of struggling independent parks looking for a big ride. They've seen success recently with their well-built Disk-O rides, and small motorbike coasters (Pony Express). However their Volare model is widely seen as one of the worst ride models ever designed.
Zierer
Another budget manufacturer, possibly connected to Schwarzkopf. Have moved into the realm of more substantial fare recently with their drop coasters (Polar X-plorer) and looping coasters (Wicked). Best known for the budget 'Tivoli' childrens coasters.
Custom Coasters International (CCI)
A short-lived but great wooden manufacturer, who ushered in the age of the modern wooden coaster after the genre had become stagnant in the 70s and 80s. Pioneered new construction techniques which allowed woodies to become more dynamic and free-flowing. Responsible for some of the greatest woodies ever built, such as The Raven, Boulder Dash, Shivering Timbers, Megafobia and Tonnerre de Zeus. However, some of their rides have become very rough in recent years (Stampida, GhostRider), probably due to the bad PTC trains used on them.
Great Coasters International (GCI)
A rival to the above, who quickly established a reputation for quality and consistency in their rides. GCI rides have a trademark style, involving fast-paced low-to-the-ground layouts that shun traditional larger 'elements' in favour of a series of turns, dips and hills taken at high speeds which give their rides an out-of-control feel. The firm introduced their own in-house trains, the Millenium Flyers, in 1999 which set a new standard for woodie train quality and comfort and have helped keep most of their rides relatively smooth.
Gravity Group
A manufacturer formed out of the ashes of CCI, they have been responsible for some of the most renowned coasters anywhere, such as Hades and the Voyage. They have recently also introduced their own bespoke trains, the Timberliners, and have experimented with adding inversions to their rides (Hades 360).
Rocky Mountain Coasters (RMC)
A manufacturer who appeared out of nowhere with an extreme steel rebuild of the formerly wooden Texas Giant ride. They have since won acclaim for their rebuild of the Rattler (Iron Rattler) and their own completely-new ride, Outlaw Run. Definitely has the potential to be a new major player in the industry.

Sams list is mostly my opinion but for my money he has over egged MACK and under rated Gerstleaur.

My alterations, MACK are solid but only Bluefire has made a big mark YET, though next year that will change, it's thrill market is more limited but it does have great family portfolio, yet it's safety record isn't perfect (bobs and mine trains have had incidents).

Gerstleaur have no luck in the UK but they are well respected abroad, Gerstache not massively noted outside of UK (and Speed is fairly painless). Think it's a manufacturer to watch. Their safety record is better than many.

Sam you missed out the extremely renowned manufacturer Togo. Their stand up coasters are second to none, it could be argued that they changed the face of how coasters are designed. ;)

Gerstlauer are a tricky one. They have a pretty bad reputation in the UK thanks initially to SAW. The Smiler has not helped this reputation at all (even though the problems aren't all Gerst's fault, it does look bad on them). However Speed is pretty good and Anubis is fantastic. I think if a part wants a relatively cheap thrill coaster then Gerst are a great option. However they have a long way to go before they can compete with say B&M or Intamin. The Smiler was their big chance to show what they can do, it hasn't quite worked out that way!

:)

It's interesting reading everyone's perspectives on ride manufacturers.

Intamin In my mind, the best rollercoaster manufacturer in the world today. Their rides tend to be very hit and miss and will often suffer massive reliability issues. However, when they are on form, nothing from any other manufacturer comes close in terms of sheer thrill. This can be seen by their complete domination of the top places in the Mitch Hawker Poll over the last decade or so. Unfortunately, we don't have any decent examples here in the UK. This leads many here to only focus on the negatives but usually, once people get on the likes of EGF or El Toro they come around.

B&M The best engineers in the industry. Famous for their smooth, comfortable rides and a safe choice for any park that can afford one. Their attention to detail is second to none and they will not introduce a concept until they are absolutely certain it is ready. Despite this conservative approach, they are historically one of the greatest innovators. When they arrived on the scene in the early 90s, they completely turned the industry on its head with their inverted coaster. Not only this, but their box-sectioned track, four across seating and never-seen-before elements made it seem as though their coasters had landed from space. Many agree that their newer coasters lack the intensity of their early efforts but even so, they are still amongst the world's best.

Mack Not quite as good as some on here would have you believe but a purveyor of high quality coasters nonetheless. Their new LIM launched megacoasters coasters offer a ride that is family friendly, smooth and thrilling all at once.

Arrow A company that had a lot of brilliant ideas and brought new innovations to the industry but their ambition always far outweighed their engineering capability. Arrow coasters have a reputation for being horrifically rough, unrefined and poorly made. They implemented technology long before it was ready and their history is littered with projects that turned out to be expensive failures. Fundamental issues with their trackwork and manufacturing process weren't addressed until it was too late. The ridiculously ambitious X was the project that eventually killed them off. As you can probably tell, I'm not a huge Arrow fan but there are plenty of people who are.

Schwarzkopf The real hero of the industry throughout the 70s and 80s. The engineering and track shaping principles developed at Schwarzkopf can be seen in every modern coaster built today. They were light-years ahead of their time, producing well calculated, fluid, pre-fabricated trackwork that rides just as well now as it did when it opened. Much of this was down to Werner Stengel, then an employee of the company, now a consultant to most of the world's coaster manufacturers. Perhaps the company's most impressive feats are their huge travelling coasters which are all still operating in various parts of the world.

Vekoma Started life as an Arrow copycat then found a niche producing low cost coaster clones which can be found throughout the world. Unfortunately, many of these have become infamous for being horrifically rough, particularly the dreaded SLC. Recently though, other manufacturers have emerged offering a higher quality product for a similar price so Vekoma have had to reform. This meant developing a new track style and switching their focus to the family market. New Vekoma products are of a very high quality and they are probably the best family coasters available today. Disney has a history of working with the company as they are excellent at producing rides with a high throughput.

Gerstlauer A company that has recently seen great success with its low cost Eurofighter model. This has allowed several small parks to afford a signature coaster with a custom layout which would have been unthinkable not too long ago. Ventures such as Takabisha and The Smiler would suggest that they want to move up the food chain. Opinion seems to be divided as to the quality of their coasters. I haven't been on many Gerstlauers but the fact that The Smiler seems to be disassembling itself doesn't suggest great build quality.

Maurer Sohne They seem to be generally disliked here for some reason but I actually quite like them. I've been on two of their spinners and both of them provided a smooth and fun ride, especially one absolutely mental bout of spinning on Spinball. I think that much of the dislike comes from G-Force at Drayton which is by all accounts very painful. They do however have rides which have garnered acclaim such as Shock at Rainbow Magic Land, Abismo at Parque de atracciones and Freischutz at Bayern Park. Their position in the market is similar to Gerstauer's.

Zierer Long time manufacturer of family coasters, probably most well known for their Tivoli kiddie coaster model. Zierer have recently stepped up a gear producing Verbolten for Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Polar X-Plorer at Legoland Billund.

Zamperla The only Zamperla coasters I've been on are at Flamingoland and they're not great. Their coasters are certainly inexpensive but generally regarded to be of low ride quality. Their Volares in particular are supposed to be awful

S&S Again, I don't understand the dislike for this company, especially since there is only one S&S coaster in the UK which I think is pretty good. Despite their unnecessary use of compressed air for everything, S&S build a high quality coaster. Their coaster at Happy Valley is probably the most enjoyable launch coaster I've been on and their US coaster installations are well regarded. Their Nurburgring coaster is a bit embarrassing though.

Premier Pioneers of the Linear Induction Motor, producing some very distinctive shuttle coasters in the 90s as well as their wonderfully compact Poltergeist model. Recently, they have focused more on low cost coasters using compact footprints and backwards launches to increase thrills.

GCI The masters of traditional wooden coaster construction. The way their trackwork flows seems almost organic. Add to this an unstoppable sense of speed and abrupt pops of airtime and you get a high quality ride experience like no other, bringing the best out of the material.

Gravity Group I have never ridden a GG coaster but I admire the company for its all out innovation in the wooden coaster industry. Their rides come across as fast paced and intense, particularly Voyage, Hades and Fireball at Happy Valley Shanghai. Their new Timberliner trains look to be a match for GCI's famous Millennium Flyers as well.

CCI A legendary manufacturer responsible for re-introducing the wooden coaster to modern parks. Many of their rides still rank highly in the Mitch Hawker Poll despite the company going under over ten years ago. Unfortunately, quite a few of their coasters have been lost due to park closures in the US. Luckily, all of the European ones remain.

RMC New to the scene, RMC are making waves with their new brand of hybrid coasters revolutionising what was though possible with wood and steel. Both their Iron Horse and wooden coaster models have opened to wide acclaim and their upcoming developments look to be just as exciting.

Pinfari Famous for their wacky worms and awful, awful coasters.

I'm just going to agree with everyone about their descriptions, got a great giggle.

All I know is that if anyone wants you to go to some unknown park somewhere in the UK, you're probably going to have a lot of Pinfari. My back still hasn't recovered from Scotland, although the bruise I had has disappeared. I will say that the most evil looking double looping Pinfari wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, was just really crazy.

I don't know how long you've been on the forums, but after two years, you do just pick this stuff up, also, I've learned that if you watch POVs on youtube, you can learn track styles of each manufacturer quite well!

Enjoy the rollercoasters, and remember, if it looks dodgy, it probably is :p