• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

I don't have particularly strong opinions on Brexit either way and think you have to be incredibly blinkered to genuinely not be able to see advantages and disadvantages to both sides, but it always amuses me that so many that wanted to remain think the best way to win over the other side is to call them stupid. I don't think I've seen it work yet...

Last edited:
Less needless carbon airmiles between nations for basic foodstuffs.
Tomatoes from uk never been in higher demand.
Why should we send tomatoes by air from spain.
Staff shortages in transport and leisure...good, higher wages for the low paid in the long term, good old capitalism.

We buy tomatoes from Spain because we have a tighter growing season but people still want tomatoes outside of that. Brexit isn’t going to stop us wanting out of season fruit and veg and the carbon footprint will grow as we seem intent on trading with countries on the other side of the world and not our closest neighbours.

I don't have particularly strong opinions on Brexit either way and think you have to be incredibly blinkered to genuinely not be able to see advantages and disadvantages to both sides, but it always amuses me that so many that wanted to remain think the best way to win over the other side is to call the stupid. I don't think I've seen it work yet...

I agree name calling doesn’t help anything, brexit is very decisive still with brexit supporters calling remain supporters traitors and remainers calling brexit supporters stupid.

It’s sad that this conflict was created so some rich people could get richer really.

Because believe it or not, its cheaper to fly stuff in from other countries than it is to get it here. I always remember when they chose to import coal from China rather than use coal from Wales because it was cheaper to purchase! Its bonkers. Whether you voted in, out, shake it all about, you have to admit the more things we produce and buy from our own country and the more people employed due to this, then surely thats a good thing, even if a bunch of grapes costs 20p more.

but it always amuses me that so many that wanted to remain think the best way to win over the other side is to call them stupid.

I strongly believe it was this attitude from some of the remain campaign which actually pushed people towards voting leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly believe it was this attitude from some of the remain campaign which actually pushed people towards voting leave.

I have no doubt that was the case. You see it still now all over social media.

It's also what Labour supporters get wrong, they seem to want to portray tory MPs and anyone that has ever considered voting tory as inherently evil, when the truth is both want what is best for the country, they just have differing ideas of what the best way to achieve that is. The tribalism and name calling undermines what are often perfectly valid points and just drives potential defectors away.

Because believe it or not, its cheaper to fly stuff in from other countries than it is to get it here. I always remember when they chose to import coal from China rather than use coal from Wales because it was cheaper to purchase! Its bonkers. Whether you voted in, out, shake it all about, you have to admit the more things we produce and buy from our own country and the more people employed due to this, then surely thats a good thing, even if a bunch of grapes costs 20p more.
I'm not saying it isn't cheaper, I'm saying it is killing the planet, but people just think cheaper.
And specifically with tomatoes, I can clearly remember the seasonal salads over the year, nobody but the very posh ate salad between October and May in my youth.
Jersey tomatoes came out earliest, then the southern counties, then locally Ormskirks, (fed on the turds of the scousers).
Then flavourless Spanish tomatoes arrived, and took over in winter.
Needless carbon miles, caused by unnatural extended markets, cause climate change.
Think global, shop local.
Local eggs on toast, not air miles mashed bloody avocado.

This is one of the things I find a bit of a contradiction. The UK acknowledges there's a climate emergency and we need to reduce our CO2... so off we go doing trade deals with far-flung places like Australia and the Asia Pacific region (with eyes also on America), yet we put barriers up on trade with our nearest neighbours. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Last edited:
I'm not saying it isn't cheaper, I'm saying it is killing the planet, but people just think cheaper.
And specifically with tomatoes, I can clearly remember the seasonal salads over the year, nobody but the very posh ate salad between October and May in my youth.
Jersey tomatoes came out earliest, then the southern counties, then locally Ormskirks, (fed on the turds of the scousers).
Then flavourless Spanish tomatoes arrived, and took over in winter.
Needless carbon miles, caused by unnatural extended markets, cause climate change.
Think global, shop local.
Local eggs on toast, not air miles mashed bloody avocado.

I think the demand for year-round predictibilty and people not wanting to change their eating habits or regular meals, together with supermarkets not adjusting prices seasonally has meant the way we buy things and eat is a bit screwed.
Why something at one time of year is imported but another time of year is home grown but both are the same price feels crazy. I think supermarkets and the way they have changed our shopping and eating habits over the last 30 years is a bigger issue to this topic than EU/brexit.

I don’t think that was the issue as both sides traded insults (leavers seem to only notice the remain insults and remainers only remember the leave insults, it’s observational bias).

I think the remain campaign was too focused on the negatives of leaving and not the positives of remaining. A lot of it was lies but the leave campaign used far more positive messaging using concepts such as “opportunity” etc.

Brexit has turn out nothing like what Brexit or Remain campaigners said it would be. They both got it wrong. I still feel that we will pay for Brexit in time to come.

At the moment, we are finding it hard to purchase certain products from our supermarket (including bottled water) due to the shortage of HGV drivers, because our government are too stubborn to allow immigration workers to do the jobs that us Brits won't even bother getting out of bed for

Brexit has turn out nothing like what Brexit or Remain campaigners said it would be. They both got it wrong. I still feel that we will pay for Brexit in time to come.

I’m pretty sure the increase in paperwork to export goods and the issues selling them to the eu was predicted and so was the issues with recruiting and workforce numbers.

yes much of it has been exacerbated by Covid but I was expecting both the export issues and workforce issues.

Despite being on the losing side of the vote I can rest easy that I shared the same view as one of the greatest minds of all time in Stephen Hawking. Nigel Farage, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson or Professor Hawking? I am comfortable with my choice.

That must be a sobering thought for brexiteers. When you're on the same side of the debate as the far right then you surely must be question your decision a little. When have racist filth ever been right on anything? Please don't all answer at once.

You were slowly manipulated over years by right wing press into voting out and you poor souls didn't even know it was happening to you.

Despite being on the losing side of the vote I can rest easy that I shared the same view as one of the greatest minds of all time in Stephen Hawking. Nigel Farage, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson or Professor Hawking? I am comfortable with my choice.

That must be a sobering thought for brexiteers. When you're on the same side of the debate as the far right then you surely must be question your decision a little. When have racist filth ever been right on anything? Please don't all answer at once.

You were slowly manipulated over years by right wing press into voting out and you poor souls didn't even know it was happening to you.
Don’t worry keep paying your license fee every year to fund the bbc and you have all the press you need lol.
There are extreme ppl on the right and extreme ppl on the left. Please don’t box all ppl that voted for brexit as alt right as it’s not a sensible argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment, we are finding it hard to purchase certain products from our supermarket (including bottled water) due to the shortage of HGV drivers, because our government are too stubborn to allow immigration workers to do the jobs that us Brits won't even bother getting out of bed for
Bottled water shortage
At least gretta will be happy

The amount of imported stuff we rely on is disgusting, I think it’s around 80%. About time we became a little more self sufficient

Your typical brexiteer goes on holidays abroad rather than in the UK. They buy stuff from Amazon over local shops because it's cheaper despite the fact it's crippling our retail industry. They go to Starbucks over local cafes. They drive a foreign car, have furniture made in a famous Swedish store and have a smart phone made in Asia.

Then has the audacity to say we need to put Britain first. Hahahahaha

Your typical brexiteer goes on holidays abroad rather than in the UK. They buy stuff from Amazon over local shops because it's cheaper despite the fact it's crippling our retail industry. They go to Starbucks over local cafes. They drive a foreign car, have furniture made in a famous Swedish store and have a smart phone made in Asia.

Then has the audacity to say we need to put Britain first. Hahahahaha
Lol or use a phone or a pc to type on a forum that mines minerals using child labour!! Come on get a grip.
Most of the ppl you call right wing above are just provocateurs on social media for likes.
with everything in life gather the information yourself and make your own decisions seems to be the best way forward.

I agree that we should all go live on a small holding and be self sufficient. At some point I may need to kill one of my livestock to survive ( sorry vegans)