• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Brexit Thread

Brexit was advertised as "taking back control".

I'm just changing trains in Paris. There are armed soldiers walking around. How is this possible if France have no control?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Brexit was advertised as "taking back control".

I'm just changing trains in Paris. There are armed soldiers walking around. How is this possible if France have no control?

To be fair I might be wrong because lots of rubbish came out of the leave side but I don't think anybody said we couldn't stick armed police wherever we liked, we choose not to have armed police or military just stood in the street, but I do think there is usually armed police at large train stations. I don't really see what this has got to do with brexit.

Dan is making the point that EU countries still have sovereignty and control over their country. There was nothing to "take control" of.
Yes I get what he's trying to say but that point literally has nothing to do with Brexit, I don't remember anyone ever suggesting we didn't have control of our own Police or Military. Although I wouldn't have put it past that lot in the red bus. Also let's not pretend the EU would solve all our problems, because it is far from perfect and had major issue's itself. I was and always will be a remianer however we can't just keep moaning about Brexit hoping to fix it. We need a plan B, re-joining isn't likely or really even possible anytime soon so we need another option.

France has always had more armed police than in the UK, but if I remember correctly we put armed police in train stations before and after Brexit.

It's an interesting debate about crime in Europe but nothing to do with Brexit as far as I can tell.

Yes I get what he's trying to say but that point literally has nothing to do with Brexit, I don't remember anyone ever suggesting we didn't have control of our own Police or Military. Although I wouldn't have put it past that lot in the red bus. Also let's not pretend the EU would solve all our problems, because it is far from perfect and had major issue's itself. I was and always will be a remianer however we can't just keep moaning about Brexit hoping to fix it. We need a plan B, re-joining isn't likely or really even possible anytime soon so we need another option.

France has always had more armed police than in the UK, but if I remember correctly we put armed police in train stations before and after Brexit.

It's an interesting debate about crime in Europe but nothing to do with Brexit as far as I can tell.
I'm being partly sarcastic. As I often am with anything to do with alleged Brexit benefits.

Whatever we were 'taking back control' of was never clear.

I will keep moaning about Brexit however i would prefer to call it campaigning to rejoin the EU even if the EU isn't perfect. Westminster sure ain't.

I'm being partly sarcastic. As I often am with anything to do with alleged Brexit benefits.

Whatever we were 'taking back control' of was never clear.

I will keep moaning about Brexit however i would prefer to call it campaigning to rejoin the EU even if the EU isn't perfect. Westminster sure ain't.

I can respect that and I do the same, love a good moan, however we need to find the best solution as a country, re-joining isn't likely nor really possible for a good while so we need to find an interim solution.

Probably the wrong topic as it's nothing to do with Brexit. Just popped to Tesco, produce really short. Unusual. Was at Auchan Chateauroux yesterday and stocks were plentiful.

20220421_190154.jpg20220421_190136.jpg

Probably the wrong topic as it's nothing to do with Brexit. Just popped to Tesco, produce really short. Unusual. Was at Auchan Chateauroux yesterday and stocks were plentiful.20220421_190154.jpg20220421_190136.jpg

Could well be to do with Brexit actually, it's to do with trade. I was saying that policing has and always will be an internal matter.

Could well be to do with Brexit actually, it's to do with trade. I was saying that policing has and always will be an internal matter.

Don't worry. You're totally misreading me. My quote was to do with this:

signal-2022-04-21-19-26-31-554.gif

Last edited:
Probably the wrong topic as it's nothing to do with Brexit. Just popped to Tesco, produce really short. Unusual. Was at Auchan Chateauroux yesterday and stocks were plentiful.

20220421_190154.jpg20220421_190136.jpg

I am waiting for the over the top headlines, about fruit and veg shortage threatening the survival of vegans.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

I think that has more to do with Tesco treating suppliers like dog poo more than anything else.
Asda has plenty of fruit and veg when I went in earlier to get a case of beer.

I think that has more to do with Tesco treating suppliers like dog poo more than anything else.
Asda has plenty of fruit and veg when I went in earlier to get a case of beer.
I highly doubt it's to do with that. Asda treat them no better, possibly worse. There's too many variables to put all this down to anything in particular. It's all highly dependent on which company, servicing depot, store, day of the week, weather and which store it's in among other things.

It could be Brexit. It could be Ukraine. It could be Tesco's treatment of suppliers.

Or it could be the Friday Produce lad went sick.

It does seem that there is a certain level of "find any reason but Brexit" for many of the issues in the UK at the moment. The War in Ukraine and Covid couldn't have come at a better time for the charlatans who promoted the whole affair.

I’m travelling on the Eurotunnel next week. I’ve just had to register for a QR code to show if I want to purchase any duty free either at Folkstone or Calais. Never had to do this before, I can only assume it is because of Brexit.

If that’s not taking back control then I don’t know what is!

It does seem that there is a certain level of "find any reason but Brexit" for many of the issues in the UK at the moment. The War in Ukraine and Covid couldn't have come at a better time for the charlatans who promoted the whole affair.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to find excuses for short supply at supermarkets. I'm just saying that with how extremely tight they're run these days, the slightest little thing can cause such an issue as shown in your picture very easily before we veered off into asserting that it could be blamed on Tesco's relationship with suppliers.

I get concise updates twice per week on supply issues down to sub category and supplier level. Normally it's full of issues with failed crops and production breakdowns. The current main issues are - lack of/absence of drivers and pickers at suppliers and Distribution Centres (by far the biggest issue), distribution in Eastern Europe, quality rejections and 'Import Issues'.

I’m travelling on the Eurotunnel next week. I’ve just had to register for a QR code to show if I want to purchase any duty free either at Folkstone or Calais. Never had to do this before, I can only assume it is because of Brexit.

If that’s not taking back control then I don’t know what is!
There's a little bit more to that one in that Duty Free hasn't existed for two decades until we left the EU, so there was no need for such a system. We previously had guidance "limits" for personal use, as is still the case for anything bought in shops in France. However, anything purchased that's actually duty free has a hard limit. As customs checks take place before the Calais terminal building, and the Dover spot checks are few and far between going out, I presume the QR code was seen as an acceptable alternative of keeping track of the limits per person and maintaining the whole "direct to the motorway" pull that Eurotunnel has without having to send everyone through a customs channel, or without having to pay the duty and then fill in tax refund forms instead.

Although there is a lot of truth in your statement, this also has been working in the opposite way. People have also been blaming things on Brexit which have clearly been caused by Covid/Ukraine. But yes, I agree that it has made it hard to get a true assessment of the losses/gains due to Brexit so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to find excuses for short supply at supermarkets. I'm just saying that with how extremely tight they're run these days, the slightest little thing can cause such an issue as shown in your picture very easily before we veered off into asserting that it could be blamed on Tesco's relationship with suppliers.

I get concise updates twice per week on supply issues down to sub category and supplier level. Normally it's full of issues with failed crops and production breakdowns. The current main issues are - lack of/absence of drivers and pickers at suppliers and Distribution Centres (by far the biggest issue), distribution in Eastern Europe, quality rejections and 'Import Issues'.
Yep this is very true. 20 years ago your produce department was always overstocked and the wastage was huge. This was in part by design to create the impression on entry (where produce would always be, historically) of a plentiful store with everything you need.

This has been ruthlessly targetted down in the decades since and the reliance on just-in-time delivery increased. There were times even in the early 2010s when Tesco in particular was being slanted because they had cut too far with shelves looking like the one you pictured, which then led to a project to increase manning (on that dept only) and further fine-tune the delivery levels.

Just in time is the best solution ecologically and fiscally if you can rely on a rock solid supply chain - which you can't in all situations. It'll always fail quicker in the event of supply chain disturbance - and Brexit is no doubt one significant such event, as is P&O being reprehensible idiots.

Last edited by a moderator: